Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your partner & games

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

she rages at me for not sleeping while i play them.

It's very difficult to sleep while playing a game...believe me I've tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,330 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I would like to know more please! :) I play a helluva lot, so i'm wondering what's too much and if she watched the same amount of tv... You can tell me where to go too if i'm prying...

About three/four hours in the evening, maybe four nights a week. While living together. That doesn't mean the other three were spent together, but just that that'd be the average game time. There were other major reasons, but it was a factor (not the deciding or biggest factor by far, but it was part of it).

She would probably have watched the same amount of TV - but possibly only because there was nothing else to do while I was gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭n0irin

I'm WAY more into video games than my boyfriend is, funnily - I love my Alienware and my XBox to bits. It's strange because we both actually work in somewhat game-related areas at the moment, but he only very recently bought a PS3 and was given a free Vita through work so he's been getting a bit more into it since then. I still definitely play way more often than he does though...

Since he HAS begun playing, though, I've found we have some similar tastes in games - for example we're both playing the Mass Effect series at the moment, but since he's got his PS3 and I've got my XBox we can happily play away separately.
    About three/four hours in the evening, maybe four nights a week. While living together. That doesn't mean the other three were spent together, but just that that'd be the average game time.

I've always been into games, but there is still a level whereby a partner can play games too much - as I found out when my ex told me that WoW was more important, interesting and sexy than me :P (there's a reason he's my ex!) Three/four hours, a few times a week, that doesn't sound like too much to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

n0irin wrote: »
    as I found out when my ex told me that WoW was more important, interesting and sexy than me :P

Class act, that lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

n0irin wrote: »
    ...my ex told me that WoW was more important, interesting and sexy than me :P (there's a reason he's my ex!)

Seriously? I can understand that addiction might make it seem more important and/or interesting (not saying anything about you! :p), but sexy??? :eek::rolleyes:
    Three/four hours, a few times a week, that doesn't sound like too much to me...

That's what i was thinking. There's nothing excessive about that. Granted, it was only a factor, but still i think anyone who is dating a gamer should at least expect this (factoring in that there are probably no kids in the equation).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,330 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Correct, there were no kids. That'd be an average. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Like we both said, a factor.

When you're dating a non-gamer though, it can be hard to explain what you're doing for four hours. On a non-related note, Ever try to explain Skyrim in words to someone who has never played it? I tried with my current girlfriend, and I realised about five sentences in that I must sound like the biggest geek around.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am a very big gamer. I would spend a lot of evening by my pc. I know my misses since I was 14 and she was 17. I am 26 and she is 29 now ( very soon lol ). So we are a couple almost 8 years and live together 7. She knew since day one - I am a gamer nerd and what is she getting in to :D.
    She does not play games, I tried to get her play it, but she newer got in to it. She did completed devil may cry 1 ( little bit of my help ), and devil may cry 2 with no help, but nothing after it. Was quite fun having a gaming sessions of Dmc 1 and during breaks having "other game", then jump back to Dmc 1! Damn... Would love to be young like this again :D.
    Anyway... In 8 years she newer ever naged me even once about gaming. I buy myself expencive pc gear, all consoles etc. we will have a chat and with her blessing I will go and buy what I need. ( family budget :) )
    It's kind of very good that I have my gaming hobby as I can spend some time away from her and she can go and do her own stuff too. I like gaming, she likes relaxing by TV, going out with friends etc. What I am trying to say: we are not in each face 24/7 and don't limit each other.
    Then ofc I know the limits and I know when I need to stop playing. We spend plenty of time together too, but non of us will force each other to do something that other ones don't want to. No stupid: but I wanted us to watch that movie together!!! It's with us: you whana watch that? Nah, you go watch it, I will watch it later myself. Cool, then.

I always try to get her in gaming too, but she just goes meh, but she LOVES watch me play online fps, COD and BF being Favourite. If I play offline, then she goes: are playing online? No.... Meh boring... Go play online ya pussy! Okay love. And use that weapon! You don't suck that much with it! Okay love.
    We always had a good lough with Lads and they were accusing me ( messing around ) of having a personal spotter as she would see everything on screen and help me to kill stuff :D.
    I tried her to play games, but she just refuse point blank and say, that she just loves to watch.
    Oh yeah, she just LOVED Dantes inferno, she was litterly forcing me to play it, so she would see what's next!!?

My boyfriend is the bigger gamer, I also love them but don't have as much time to play. Hanging out playing together is So much fun. Love it :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

As said previously, my wife plays games. We game together. Life is good :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Any ladies that I've been fortunate enough to be with have never had an interest past a drunken game of tekken with a crowd of friends after a night out. Which I have to say, was always fun. But they never got frustrated with my level of playing either, just like I never looked too much into their shoe collections......

I'm now looking for that mythical beautiful gamer lady over here in Japan so I can steal her and bring her home like some sort of 100% platinum trophy.

Untitled-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

GF doesn't play games, did buy her a DS but she quickly tired of it, having a baby in 2 weeks so my own gaming will be curtailed, but I gain a new gaming buddy to conquer Tamriel, Temeria and take Villa to the premiership title

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Wish i had a partner who was into/didnt mind me playing games : )

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

My gf plays games with me on the pc, I have another pc on my desk for her, which I am upgrading atm, always want her to use the good pc anyway to enjoy it more. She got me some wireless controllers and it's great for trackmania with her, any other suggestions for the controllers?

She's finished a good few games now and although she is not as interested as me, that would be hard, I love that she is interested and plays with me, I really enjoy it. Even had her playing counter strike :-p What to play next hmm! She's currently playing portal 2 and has a 'kitty' in skyrim. :D

She is staying away from dota 2 atm...

OmYUa.jpg?1?6360

She's a royde.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Wait til you have to get fur out of your keyboard. :mad: And I don't even wanna ask where she got that human skull on the right...

free place to stay in japan .o/

Always! ^_^

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

my gf just finished cod4....looking for a ring now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Current girlfriend has no interest past Super Mario Bros Wii, likes watching me play Skyrim though. meh..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

She has no interests in games. She thinks I am too old for gaming (I am 34) and that it is a bad influence on people's behavior. In short, any negative stereotypes about gaming you can think of, she probably has them. Though its not a major problem, it can cause friction.

sarumite wrote: »
    She has no interests in games. She thinks I am too old for gaming (I am 34) and that it is a bad influence on people's behavior. In short, any negative stereotypes about gaming you can think of, she probably has them. Though its not a major problem, it can cause friction.

Show her this:

Open+Door.jpg

:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

your never to old to game,that's just crazy talk

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭n0irin

Seriously? I can understand that addiction might make it seem more important and/or interesting (not saying anything about you! :p), but sexy??? :eek::rolleyes:

I know, right? As I said, there's a reason he's my ex!
    She has no interests in games. She thinks I am too old for gaming (I am 34) and that it is a bad influence on people's behavior.

I think a lot of people, non-gamers especially, think that the stereotypical gamer is a teenage boy living in his mom's basement - and also believe that games make people violent etc.
    The average age of a gamer these days is 36! So you're definitely not too old...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Mine has no interest in games at all but doesn't care whether I play them or not. If I started ignoring her to play a game or whatever I'm sure it would be an issue but I don't so it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

RedXIV wrote: »
    Does having a gamer partner become the match made in heaven I envisaged or am I luckier than I realise?

My girlfriend has close to zero interest in gaming. She'll come into HMV, etc as I take a quick browse around.

She picked one up a second hand game one day and said she might like it. I encouraged her to get it, as I thought having a gamer partner would be pretty cool.

I barely saw her for the 4 days despite living in the same house. Be careful what you wish for :pac:

Rooney10 wrote: »
    I barely saw her for the 4 days despite living in the same house. Be careful what you wish for :pac:

That can be a good thing! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 dogyworld1

well i guess im very lucky compared to most of you well for now i am
    i still live with me parents (only 18 :P)

my gf of 2 years only likes racing games like need for speed
    unfortuntly i dont have any racing games ha only shooters and rpgs and sports
    she stays in my gaf 3 nights a week and is over 5 days a week and if she even senses me turning on a game shed crack up ha
    but on the bright side when she goes home i can play all night long ha and all day long when she dont come over

of course this will change when i move out with her
    i will be royaly screwed in the gaming department then ha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

My ex and me once had sex while i was playing mortal kombat online.

My new bird seems to be up for it too.

All in all i think my bird and games mix just fine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Arawn wrote: »
    My ex and me once had sex while i was playing mortal kombat online.

BABALITY!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Crosáidí wrote: »
    BABALITY!!
    I genuinely lol'd! kudos!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

OmYUa.jpg?1?6360

Bet she's useful for those fetch type quests we all hate :D

Advertisement