Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Exterior paint

Options
  • 28-04-2014 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

Quick question.
    What paint would you recommend for exterior walls of a house? Sandtex or Dulux? €10 in the difference from woodies (sandtex is cheaper).
    Also for doing the higher areas (2 story house) ladder or a scaffold platform?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭huntsman77

Had 3 different painters price house for me lately all said dulux weather shield so must be some reason for it

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mrtayto27

huntsman77 wrote: »
    Had 3 different painters price house for me lately all said dulux weather shield so must be some reason for it

Probably getting a good price from a dulux decorating centre, on another uk based forum I follow there is a lot of complaints about the quality of santex which probably is reflected in the price,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭oisinbutler

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Quick question.
    What paint would you recommend for exterior walls of a house? Sandtex or Dulux? €10 in the difference from woodies (sandtex is cheaper).
    Also for doing the higher areas (2 story house) ladder

Dulux is better than sandtex.

Ladder should be fine. If you are thinking about getting a scaffold it would probably work out cheaper to hire a painter to do the job for you instead of paying for scaffold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Anyone else wanna share an opinion?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 165 ✭✭oisinbutler

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Anyone else wanna share an opinion?

Fleetwood Weatherclad is a good exterior paint, seems to be every bit as good as dulux. I passed a house recently that I had painted with fleetwood about 5 or 6 years ago and its still looking great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I used McPhersons Powersheen a number of times and found it great.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

dixiefly wrote: »
    I used McPhersons Powersheen a number of times and found it great.
    As an ex house painter I would agree. Powersheen is top quality. Dulux next, and Santex last. Santex used to be the best but is rubbish now, trading on the name at this stage I think.
    A ladder is better than scaffold, unless you have some particular problem with access or footing for a ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Thanks lads
    Gonna have to get some more testers now, bloody expensive bastards!

Advertisement