Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Guide to Sea Fishing(shore)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Warhammer

Popanddrop wrote: »
    Here are some of my ideas for new threads that people should start.
    Guide to Boat Fishing.
    I asked the same subject on boat fishing (charters) on the Ideas To Develop Angling Board thread and no replies yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Popanddrop

hopefully there will be some replies soon, shore fishing is my most experienced section

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 DRoyalSampler

Great tread, just wondering what is the most humane way to kill a fish that i tend to keep?

If its mackerel the best way is just to put your fingers n their gills and pull back so you snap thei neck and therefore an instint death.
    For larger fish its best to use a priest with a few sharp blows to the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Popanddrop wrote: »
    For larger fish its best to use a priest with a few sharp blows to the head.

:) For anyone who's wondering about whacking a fish over the head with a 'priest', in this instance a 'priest' is a term for a heavy bludgeon, such as a heavy rolling pin, or a short thick iron bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

How about who ever starts the best thread Popanddrop brings to Panama with him ;) .

Ya well unfortunetly for that my next trip down to here again wont be till Christmas, until then I will just have to bare the Irish weather and the fishing even though it is still pretty good if you know the right spots.;)

Well my Panama fishing trip is now over, back to Ireland.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Dano954

Excellent reading, much appreciated guys, Im a newbie btw who caught mackerel/pollack and a bass on my first outing of the year last week, its 2 years since I had sea fished and reading threads such as this just keep the interest going, keep it up.Does anyone on here meet up for a days fishing?

where are you based?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Dano954

Im in North Cork and work in Limerick, was out in Kilkee again with a friend, it was his first day fishing and he thoroughly enjoyed it and we got plenty mackerel some of whom ended up on the plate last night. Now that theres plenty mackerel in the freezer (both bait and food) Im definitely going on the search for Bass and flatfish if possible.

Good luck hope you do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Here's a question for yis. Is there anyway to "not" catch dogfish? I usually go to a spot in Dalkey in the evening.If I get a a mackerel I like to bait up a 2 hook rig and see what I can get. On the mackerel Ive got pollock,rockling,a tiny dab and once a pink starfish that must have been stuck to the rock with araldite it nearly snapped my rod! But again and agin I keep getting doggies, so whats a man to do?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Cormdogg wrote: »
    Here's a question for yis. Is there anyway to "not" catch dogfish?......

Aaah, if only there were ....... :)

Dogfish are unfortunetly the pest of the irish waters, there is no real way to avoid but maybe a switch in baits will deter them some bit like lugworm ore peeler crab.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

Best post i'v seen on boards in a lomg time ;).
    Any hints on putting together your own rigs for bass etc..
    Is it better to buy the beads/swivils/crimps etc in a tackle shop or do you know of any good on-line resources. Or am i just been a cheap skate and prob better off buying them :)

personally there is nothing wrong with premade rigs, I prefer to make my own because I feel its all apart of fishing, plus it allos you to experiment with your oen versions of certain rigs. Thanks for the comment.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Thanks for all the info, you've really done a decent job.

thanks keen,:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

any good suggestions on how best to target wrasse (from teh shire) rig / bait etc and how to stop them nicking everything off your hooks ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

growler wrote: »
    any good suggestions on how best to target wrasse (from teh shire) rig / bait etc and how to stop them nicking everything off your hooks ?

I've seen them being caught around rocky areas using the float method with nice big rag worm, hook the rag so it's body is all the way up the hook nearly at the line and experiment with different depths by adjusting you stop knot.

the best and easiest way to catch them, try using hard back crabs also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

i usually float fish about 5-10 feet down, have caught them on lug (rare enough to rag on the west coast) but they're bloody fast and i seem to hook up 1 in ten times, used a treble for a while at had a better success rate but smaller fish.

what hook size is best ish ?
    any artificial baits that will stay on and get the bites ?

i really enjoy fishing for them as its such close up action, but its incredibly frustrating missing bite and bite

anything from a 1/0 all the ways up to even a 3/0. Great to hear about your love of fishing for wrasse, its whats fishing is all about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I prefer to use quite for bass,size 1 or thereabouts as the mouths are quite small.A very good,and easily available bait is a limpet.Knock it off with a rock and pull the thng out of the shell.Wrass go mad for them and they have the advantage of staying on the hook very well when the wrasse are nibbling.

yes I have noticed that also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Huff

Popanddrop thanks a million for all the info, if I have any more questions regarding any fish I know I will be asking you for your taughts.

Keep up the work. Cheers:D:D

:Dcheers thanks

Organsing a trip out to do some rock mark fishing next weekend with a few people( a class) if anyone one else is interesting it is a class with 15 euro per person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

Popanddrop, your info is fantastic. Thank you very much. I have started to do a bit of shore fishing and I am finding your posts very helpful.

Advertisement