Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Guide to Sea Fishing(shore)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Popanddrop

jArgHA wrote: »
    Don't forget to do a bit on the tides!

Ya I have been searching that out recently. Thats actually some thing that I dont know alot on, basicially what I do know is that
    1. Full moons mean bigger tides, but a full moon can put off fish if the sky is clear and the fish are not used to the extra light on the water during the night.
    2. Spring tides, happen a few times a year, this is bigger then a normal tide and can improve fishing is some locations due to the extra run of water.
    Then you have your basics on the ebb and dropping tide and everyone knows them.

If anyone else would like to add something feel free this is one thing I dont know alot on.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

Tides

As everyone knows the moon effects the tides, but what most people seen to not realise is that the sun also effects the tides as well..

Neap tides

a neap tide is when the tide is at its weakest, durung this time the moon phase will be at quarter moon and half moonphase. when the sun is 90degrees from the earth to the sun.
    neap tides can range from 1.5- 1.7meters (west coast) 10cm - 30cm(east coast
    Spring tides
    this is when the tides are at there stronges, during this time the moon phase will be at new or full moon..

with the sun pulling the tide against the moons pull (full moon) the tides are at the highest spring tides, and when the sun pulls with the moon (new moon) you'lll still get a spring tide, just not as strong as a full moon spring tide..

A spring tide on the west coast can range from 4.5 meters to 4.8 meters (west coast) 1.8m - 2.2m (east coast),there is however extreme high tides which can put an extra 20cm - 30cm to the tides (The Proxigean Spring Tide) this is a rare, unusually high tide. This very high tide occurs when the moon is both unusually close to the earth (at its closest perigee, called the proxigee) and in the new moon phase (when the Moon is between the Sun and the Earth). The proxigean spring tide occurs at most once every 1.5 years.

Null tide

there is a tidal null point midway up the Irish Sea. This probably influences the tidal streams in the area as the slack area moves a little north or south depending on the conditions. similarly, a persistent southerly wind will prolong the flood and a persistent northerly will prolong the ebb.
    this is why sometimes along the wexford coast there seems to be little or no movement in the tide for a few days..

a few lunar facts.

* The gravitational force of the moon is one ten-millionth that of earth, but when you combine other forces such as the earth's centrifugal force created by its spin, you get tides.

* The sun's gravitational force on the earth is only 46 percent that of the moon. Making the moon the single most important factor for the creation of tides.

* The sun's gravity also produces tides. But since the forces are smaller, as compared to the moon, the effects are greatly decreased.

* Tides are not caused by the direct pull of the moon's gravity. The moon is pulling upwards on the water while the earth is pulling downward. Slight advantage to the moon and thus we have tides.

* Whenever the Moon, Earth and Sun are aligned, the gravitational pull of the sun adds to that of the moon causing maximum tides.

* Spring tides happen when the sun and moon are on the same side of the earth (New Moon) or when the sun and moon are on opposite sides of the earth (Full Moon).

* When the Moon is at first quarter or last quarter phase (meaning that it is located at right angles to the Earth-Sun line), the Sun and Moon interfere with each other in producing tidal bulges and tides are generally weaker; these are called neap tides.

* Spring tides and neap tide levels are about 20% higher or lower than average.

* Offshore, in the deep ocean, the difference in tides is usually less than 1.6 feet

* The surf grows when it approaches a beach, and the tide increases. In bays and estuaries, this effect is amplified. (In the Bay of Fundy, tides have a range of 44.6 ft.)

* The highest tides in the world are at the Bay of Fundy in Nova Scotia, Canada.

* Because the earth rotates on its axis the moon completes one orbit in our sky every 25 hours (Not to be confused with moon's 27 day orbit around the earth), we get two tidal peaks as well as two tidal troughs. These events are separated by about 12 hours.

* Since the moon moves around the Earth, it is not always in the same place at the same time each day. So, each day, the times for high and low tides change by 50 minutes.

* The type of gravitational force that causes tides is know as "Tractive" force.

fishing during tides
    some of the best fishing occurs during spring tides, with the extra movement in the water making more food available to fish..
    some of the best fishing can be had during a spring tide during a full moon, just be careful as spring tides run in fast and can cut you off from land if your fishing off rocks..

spring tides are also good for collecting bait as more of the shoreline is exposed, black lug, blow lug and peelers can be collected during this time.

Fantastic thanks for that, something I did not know much on but know now.:D

When plugging you are essentially using an artifical lure made out of normally plastic or wood. The lure has a `bib` on the front of it which is that little piece of plastic on it. The size of the bib determines depth and movement.(these specs. will be given on the side of the lure box). As you might know lures come in a huge range of colours and sizes so experimenting with a few different one in your local area will determine whats best.
    rapala-x-rap-allcolors.jpg
    When you retrieve the plug movement is created by the bib, now not all plugs have bibs some have none so you most inpart the movement using your rod tip. Even with a plug with a bib give the rod the odd twitch and slow/fasten the speed to encourage a bite.

Spinning normally involves the use of spoons made of metal. They come in a range of sizes and colours. Basically when you want to retrieve a spinning do the same as a plug.

To increase your chances of landing more fishing when plugging or spinning bring a selection of both plugs and spoons so that you can use a spoon to increase your range incase the fish are not in range of plugs.

www.rapala.com the best source of quality lures.

1. Thornback Rays.
    2. Soft Plastic Artifical Lures.
    3.20 things that you should know before starting to fish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

let me be the first to say,

u rock.

now, where's my 20 things u need to know for idiots?

for example, what oil do you use for cleaning your reels? is wd40 bad? is it very very bad?

:)that will go in after soft plastic, I gaurentee it.

let me be the first to say,

u rock.

now, where's my 20 things u need to know for idiots?

for example, what oil do you use for cleaning your reels? is wd40 bad? is it very very bad?

i'll answer the second part as i service all my reels once and a while ;)

WD40 is handy to have to clear excess water from the outside of reals as it repels the water, however.. it also breaks down oils, so sprawing it inside the reel mechanism is not a good idea, unless you are giving it a full service..

for fixed spools motor greese is enough to keep your reel in running order and a drop of light oil 3 in 1 or chain oil on the bale arm mechanism as there are no moving parts during the cast.

however with multipliers its slightly different as the parts move during a cast..

what you have to do when oiling a multiplier is use the supplied oil (that comes with most reels (or buy abu rocketfuel oil) and use this on the bearings inside the barrel (spool) the actual cranking mechanism of multipliers you can use thicker oil and even greese on the cogs, just dont get it near the spindle that runs through the spool..
    a good alternative i have found (and much cheaper) for the abu rocketfuel is sewing machine oil as its a very light oil and yiou get alot more out of a bottle than you do with the smaller abu oils...

hope that helps... also i have a video on youtube of how to re assemble an abu 6500 ctc3

not the best of quality but gives you an idea where things go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

thanks Steve,

u rock too obv.

i think i have some motor grease lying around here somewhere...

(also hoping to dip a line in the water tomorrow/today)

WD40 can also erode parts of the reel that are not covered by rust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

just a bit of a correction on how the tides match up with the phase of the moon (astronomy is another hobby of mine):
    a neap tide is when the tide is at its weakest, durung this time the moon phase will be at quarter moon and half moonphase. when the sun is 90degrees from the earth to the sun

this should read:
    a neap tide is when the tide is at its weakest (smallest difference between high and low tide), and this tide occurs when the moon is in its first or last quarter. This happens when the sun - earth - moon angle is 90 degrees

First quarter looks like this |) .... well that's best I can do with ascii chars
    Last quarter looks like this (|

It is a bit confusing as a 'quarter' moon actually looks like 'half a moon' - the reason it is called 'quarter' is because it is 1/4th of the way through a lunar cycle (which 28.something days).

85002005.JPG
    The thornback ray is probably one of the commonest rays encountered by divers. Like all rays it has a flattened body with broad, wing-like pectoral fins. The body is kite-shaped with a long, thorny tail. The back is covered in numerous thorny spines, as is the underside in older females. Adult fish can grow to 1m in length although most are less than 85cm. The colour varies from light brown to grey with darker blotches and numerous small darker spots and yellow patches. Sometimes the yellow patches are surrounded by small dark spots. The underside is creamy-white with a greyish margin. The thornback ray is usually found on sediment type seabeds such as mud, sand or gravel at depths between 10-60m. Juvenile fish feed on small crustaceans, particularly amphipods and bottom-living shrimps, Adults feed on crabs, shrimps and small fish. The best time to catch thrornies is during the summer months into September. These fish will feed day or night.

Tactics:
    Fishing for these species is really easy and a simple clip-up rig with a 3/0 or 4/0 hook is the best. Grip leads or plain work well for thornbacks because they will attack a moving bait. Bait wise use either a piece of mackerel, peeler crab or shrimp. Rigs can be made out of 40-50Lb mono as the body and 20-30LB snood.
    Bass.gif

Other Info:
    Some ray bites are when the line suddenly goes slack be aware of this as the fish could be coming towards you.
    This type of fishing also works well for Bullhuss.

080221173812-large.jpg
    These come in a huge variety of shapes and sizes, from fish-worms-lizards there is never a shortage of finding new types. Colour ranges are vast and nearly ever colour imaginable is available. These lures can also come in a variety of scents for both freshwater and saltwater. With the advance in soft plastics these things look, taste and feel like the real thing. A wide variety of species can be caught on soft plastic lures including bass, pollock, coalfish and mackerel too name a few. These lures are also deadly in over seas locations. To fish these from the shore is a pretty easy thing. For jelly worms etc and simply flowing trace of 20LB line and a 3-4oz lead is suitable.
    coalfi2.gif
    The boom is optional but does prevent tangles.
    When using shads you can simply tie them straight on or if you need extra weight then use the above rig or a jig head.
    You have to experiment with different colours,sizes and scents in your local area to find what works best in the certain conditions at the time.
    You can also make your own soft plastic. http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/

Other sites:
    http://www.berkley-fishing.com/
    www.cabelas.com
    www.basspro.com
    http://www.stormlures.com/
    http://ie.youtube.com/user/berkleyvideos

1. Always fill your reel up to the limit with line, doing less will result in shorter casts.
    2. WD40 can actually erode metal that does not have rust on it so use reel oil.
    3. Use a shockleader when fishing to limit lost fish over bad ground.
    4. Be safe dont go fishing where you cant get out.
    5. use the best bait possible, dont cheap out.
    6. Have one rig in the water and another one baited up to switch when you reel in, if fishing is hot.
    8. Tell someone where, with who and when you will be back.
    9. dont be lazy do a bit of research before you go fishing to increase your odds.
    10. Be conservative only keep a few fish.
    11. Dont litter.
    12. Local knowledge is always best.
    13. Make sure your rod/reel can handle the fishing you are doing not all rods are fit for one job.
    14. If you line is frayed take off that piece incase you lose a fish.
    15. If you dont catch fish in a certain area dont be certain there isnt anything there.
    16. Always try to net a fish handle lining them up is the most often way you will lose them.
    17. Have fun when fishing use the lightest gear possible in a given suitation.
    18. Always keep a headlamp in your bag incase you wish to fish into the night.
    19. Before fishing take 20-30minutes to observe the area to pick the best spot and wave patterns.
    20. Introduce someone else to fishing to get even more enjoyment.

I wont be writing in this again until monday week due to me firstly going beachfishing for snapper tomarrow. and second I am going to Vancouver, Canada Halibut fishing on friday so I wont be back until Sunday week. I would like some new suggestions from people on what they want me to write on next.
    Thanks and tight lines.
    Popanddrop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭little buda

hope you have a good great hol!!!

thread now has over 2350 views!!! well done

now im geting into fishing is there any thing that i should be looking out for rod wise

2,3,4peice,plastic, metal, wooden, teli-scoptic, lightweight ,heavy, bend-e-niss?? if you know what i mean this could be a part of your next bit

Currently I am using a Shimano Beastmaster Travel rod for my travels, they are fantastic beachcaster and due to the development in rods this 7 piece acts the exact same as standard 2 piece beach caster. My father landed a 135+LB Diamond sting ray on it last week(panama). These things can really take a bathering, now to put it to the test up in Canada after a short ray/grouper/snapper session before I go which by the way I am leaving in 55mins so I got to check all the gear.........there be some serious fish down ere.:D

is there anything that anyone would like me to write about?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gazelec

Hi popanddrop

Loving your page,im a newbie to fishing and was wondering what baits to use and when,at the moment im using feathers with 3oz weights from the pier,i hear feathers cant be used from next month onwards? What should be used then? Sorry if this is a stupid question but i am a rookie :o

most baits can be used all year round depending on availability, feathers can also be used all year round for mackerel pollock coalfish and codling.

a lot of people think the mackerel come in june and go again by september, this is not true, mackerel can be caught from as early as april right through to december, it depends more on weather conditions.. a few weeks of sun and calm weather will see mackerel shoals appearing..

there are areas where shoals are also resident, killybegs in donegal is a perfect example of this, because it is a deep harbour and the fish factories, there is a constant supply of food , and mackerel can be caught all year round here.

fish do have times when they seem to be more plentiful,
    there is a list in the central fisheries site which will give you a good idea.

mackerel, sandeel, lug, rag, squid and razorfish are baits that can be easily bought all year round and will catch fish, some baits work better for some fish and other baits for others, sometimes the only way to find out is just to go fishing ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭gazelec

Cheers for that steve,didnt know that about mackerel,i was told they were only out from june to sept as you said and the same for using feathers too,thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Warhammer

Hi stevecrow i just saw yor link and my god you seem to fish alot and what great catches you have.
    Keep up the good work:)

Thanks for the response to the qusetion posted steve.
    Would still like some subjects off people please.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I put some more information about tides on my Float Tubing website.
    Particularly to explain how the Irish sea fills up and empties, from both north and south, causing a northerly or southerly tidal flow along the shore depending on your location.
    It might be helpful:
    More on Tides, and fishing from small craft
    The part about using a tidal flow to drift in one direction for a while, until high or low and the turn of the tide, and then drift back again to the starting point might be interesting. It can save an awful lot of outboard engine fuel if you know how to use it while fishing.

thanks for that.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 janruzinsky

Hi guys,

this is a great thread with loads of usefull info. I am new to sea fishing and I would like to ask somebody about fishing in Malahide. I like spinning so I would like to know some good spots around here.

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Fantastic thread, thanks Popanddrop, and to all the other contributers.

Like janruzinsky, I'm new to sea fishing, and I was actually just going to suggest a good idea might be to list some spots to try and what tends to work there. (well known ones of course, I know you can't be giving away peoples favourite hidden spots)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭jArgHA

stevenmu wrote: »
    Fantastic thread, thanks Popanddrop, and to all the other contributers.

Like janruzinsky, I'm new to sea fishing, and I was actually just going to suggest a good idea might be to list some spots to try and what tends to work there. (well known ones of course, I know you can't be giving away peoples favourite hidden spots)

Sounds like a good idea, but I would recommend starting another thread for it so as to keep this thread more on shore angling in general rather than specific spots.

In the meantime, take a look here it has a list of well known marks around Ireland and the species which can be caught at thiose marks:
    http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/map%20of%20ireland%20-%20shore.htm

I`m strictly going to keep this thread to tactics only, I know that people from all over Ireland would be looking at this so I cant start on locations because it would only benefit some people rather then everyone, but I think it would be a great idea if some people contributed to a new thread which was dedicated to fishing spots around Ireland.

• Advertisement

Here are some of my ideas for new threads that people should start.
    Guide to Boat Fishing.
    Guide to Coarse Angling.
    Guide to Pike Angling.
    Guide to Game Angling.
    Guide to International Angling.
    Guide to Fishing marks both Fresh and Salt water around Ireland.

I might start an the international one myself in a week or two when I return from Panama, I will give my account of experiences and how new methods I have learned can benefit you both home and abroad.

Advertisement