Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Foundation maths?

Options
  • 03-09-2013 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I have been put into a foundation class earlier this year. I really don't want to be in this class mainly because there are many 3rd level courses I want to get into.
    I really want to do the arts or Film and Screen Media in UCC, but I know if I try ordinary level maths I won't be able to do it. i'm just terrible at it. Would grinds help? Should I really worry about it? It's my only bad subject in school. I'm pretty sure I have some sort of mathematical dyslexia. I'm really scred about this. any help/would be much appreciated :)
    Also I am due to have a meeting with my vice principal, i just really want to get into a decent college. Btw i'm in sixth year!
    Thanks x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭vermin99

emmymoo wrote: »
    I have been put into a foundation class earlier this year. I really don't want to be in this class mainly because there are many 3rd level courses I want to get into.
    I really want to do the arts or Film and Screen Media in UCC, but I know if I try ordinary level maths I won't be able to do it. i'm just terrible at it. Would grinds help? Should I really worry about it? It's my only bad subject in school. I'm pretty sure I have some sort of mathematical dyslexia. I'm really scred about this. any help/would be much appreciated :)
    Also I am due to have a meeting with my vice principal, i just really want to get into a decent college. Btw i'm in sixth year!
    Thanks x

Grinds will definitely help ! But just explain your situation to the vice,normally they will try there best to do what you want but in all fairness if they say to stay in foundation do because they'll know by exam results etc

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

From the UCC arts matriculation requirements on their website:
    Minimum Grade HC3 in two subjects and passes in four other subjects at H or O level in the Leaving Certificate from Irish*, English, another language* and three other subjects recognised for entry purposes.

No mention of maths. Most arts courses don't actually require it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Canard wrote: »
    From the UCC arts matriculation requirements on their website:

No mention of maths. Most arts courses don't actually require it at all.

Canard is correct here - and don't let anyone tell you different. Lots of people believe that you can't get to university at all if you don't at least pass OL maths, but this is not true.

It's even more clear from this extract from the FAQ on the UCC website:
    Q: What subjects do you need?

A: For all degrees you need Irish, English and four other subjects.
    For Arts, Human Sciences, Law, Social Science, Commerce, Medicine and Health Sciences and some other degrees a third language must be included among the other subjects. There are a few exceptions in relation to the third language. These are covered in question 16.

For Commerce your subjects must include Mathematics, and for courses in the Sciences (i.e. Science and also Agriculture, Architecture, Engineering, Food Science and Technology, Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences, Veterinary Medicine) Mathematics and a Science subject.

It's quite clear from the way they list the courses that do need maths that the others don't.

The same information is also given on this page of the NUI website (UCC is an NUI college):
    http://www.nui.ie/college/entry-requirements.asp

Course CK105, Film and Screen Media is in the Faculty of ARTS, CELTIC STUDIES AND SOCIAL SCIENCES, so has the same matriculation requirements as Arts.

The college calendar here: http://www.ucc.ie/calendar/general/info013.html also indicates that there are no additional course requirements beyond the matriculation ones.

Therefore, you don't need maths for this one either.

If you want to be absolutely certain, contact the admissions office to confirm. (But maybe wait a few weeks - they're probably up their eyeballs handling this year's admissions.)

Bottom line: you can get into both of the courses you mention without even doing maths for the leaving cert. If you want to do FL, you're fine. By the same token, if you do OL and fail it, you're still fine.

Furthermore, not relevant to those courses but perhaps to others: passing FL maths is more likely to meet the requiremnts of a course than failing OL. For example, a D3 in Foundation Level maths meets the general matriculation requirements for TCD, but an E at Ordinary level does not. Source: http://www.tcd.ie/Admissions/undergraduate/requirements/matriculation/leavingcert/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

If there's an way you could do ordinary, go for it, all you need is a D3. Remember the ordinary and foundation course covers the exact same content (with the very odd exception) the only difference is that the questions regarding the topics will be slightly harder in ordinary. If you're 100% sure you don't need it however, then stay where you are. Best of luck with whatever you choose anyway OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

The important extract from MathsManiac's link to TCD's site.
    Mathematics at foundation-level is acceptable for minimum entry requirements only, for all courses except nursing or midwifery courses. Irish at foundation-level is not acceptable for minimum entry requirements, course requirements or for scoring purposes.

While I love Maths and I'd encourage you to go for the highest level you can pass in, it's certainly not worth the stress if you don't need it and probably aren't going to have to use it later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

i had this problem last year. im doing ordinary maths now as im repeating

Advertisement