Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considered Wrestling Training?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

If enough of you are up for it... I will arrange a private Boards training session. You can all talk to each other here and decide a date, I'll make sure the school in Bray is free for you guys.

Top dog! Well up for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FFPW Office

Well the only dates we can't free up the school is the 3rd and 4th of March, (We have a girls open day on the 3rd, and a gym show on the 4th.)

and the 14th and 15th of April because of the Zero-1 tryout camp and show. But any other weekend will be grand..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

If enough of you are up for it... I will arrange a private Boards training session. You can all talk to each other here and decide a date, I'll make sure the school in Bray is free for you guys.

Thats really cool. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Dickmcsavage

I'm up for this myself. Always said I would like to give it a go and I think this is an ideal way for people to try it out cause we'll all be on the same level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

That's very sound. Hope it goes well guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭cena

I would go for a look

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Fair play for the offer. I hope it doesn't turn into something only one or two people show up to after 20 people promise though. Respect for making the offer though.

*Starts training to lose wait in hopes of being able to walk a few steps without gassing* :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Id be up for it im unemployed come mid march to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

Thought about it countless times and even came close to going where Sheamus was for years with IWW when they were in the Baldoyle industrial estate. Never did join which I do regret.. It would be some experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brianregan09

If it was more local to me i'd be there in a split second !! ne schools in or around limerick?
    #

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Been thinkin of joining for a few weeks now, just saw this thread and its made me decide that i'm definitely gonna go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Jake187

To be perfectly honest....
    I think this thread is all 'hot air'
    Many saying they want to be wrestlers and would "love" the chance to train....

If you think I am wrong, watch as 'future Irish wrestlers to be' post back in this thread in 2 months saying they are training.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Jake187 wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest....
    I think this thread is all 'hot air'
    Many saying they want to be wrestlers and would "love" the chance to train....

If you think I am wrong, watch as 'future Irish wrestlers to be' post back in this thread in 2 months saying they are training.

I dont think too many would say your wrong as even PW beers have failed to happen because people have said they were interested but didnt show / confirm they would go for sure. However the below offer is a very good one so hopefully a few would give it a shot if they have a genuine interest. If they never make it past this one attempt who cares and fair play to them tbh for giving it a go and doing what many of us fans have often thought about.

Just a question (and its not really related to this offer) but what do you guys do if someone comes along but is as a few have said perhaps more interested in a role as a manager or something because physically they maybe know they arent cut out for the in ring stuff.

Im in Shanghai so wont be going obviously but others have said this and its the boat id be in myself so im curious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Just a question (and its not really related to this offer) but what do you guys do if someone comes along but is as a few have said perhaps more interested in a role as a manager or something because physically they maybe know they arent cut out for the in ring stuff.

Im in Shanghai so wont be going obviously but others have said this and its the boat id be in myself so im curious.
    Do you mean physically not cut out for stuff in ring = overweight/obese or do you mean they might have a condition preventing them doing anything in the ring? If its the former then sorry to be blunt, but its as good a chance one would get to shed some pounds and get to decent fitness and would get to do it while trying something out not many else would have done. Its not like your going to be getting thrown through tables or hit with chairs or choke slammed by 7ft guys, although id love to see what its like to get thrown through one of those WWE tables :pac:

I was under the impression that people here would be interested in this for the exercise and getting an idea of what goes on in pro wrestling training, and not to actually try for work from it? Like what organisations actually use managers these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Ive been training in Kickboxing and Muay Thai for about a year now, both of which are fairly intense cardio work outs. I would love to give some pro wrestling training a go, if for no other reason, just to see how intense the cardio is needed to be able to compete in relation to what I am doing already.

Alas, Bray is a long way from home and having spent a few days there last year, I vowed I would never step foot there again (sorry Bray folk ;))

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Do you mean physically not cut out for stuff in ring = overweight/obese or do you mean they might have a condition preventing them doing anything in the ring? If its the former then sorry to be blunt, but its as good a chance one would get to shed some pounds and get to decent fitness and would get to do it while trying something out not many else would have done. Its not like your going to be getting thrown through tables or hit with chairs or choke slammed by 7ft guys, although id love to see what its like to get thrown through one of those WWE tables :pac:

I was under the impression that people here would be interested in this for the exercise and getting an idea of what goes on in pro wrestling training, and not to actually try for work from it? Like what organisations actually use managers these days?

well im sure many here would want to just want to try it to see what goes into it and get a bit fit but you never know some might be more interested in giving it a try if they thought it was something they could possibly pursue if they could. The not physically up for it thing wasnt that someone would bo obeses but more akin to say the post below (though obviously ive no idea how serious this person may or may not be just an example)
    I would love to try it but i have Cystic Fibrosis so that would put pay to that, I'd love to be a manager or promo guy like someone else on the thread mentioned I'm pretty sure i'd be okay at it, As i can take off any accent or voice from TV shows or whatever and all my friends say im hilarious doing jokes or whatever so im pretty sure i'd be useful enough lol

I myself dont think i'd be capable of doing it due to years of injuries with Rugby among other sports. My back is not good and I dont know if I could handle all gthe bumps for instance and thats not going into things like how I broke my sturnum before amongst other things. However it is something I would consider that I have a passion for and i'd imagine others might feel similarily and thus might enjoy getting involved in it. As I said though it wasnt fully about this offer as im just curious if places offer the chance for people to get ivolved on the non wrestling side in any form.

I dont think managers are actually used all that often as you say but in my opinion that doesent mean they shouldnt be, though obviously id expect more to come from being former wrestlers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

gimmick wrote: »
    Bray is a long way from home and having spent a few days there last year, I vowed I would never step foot there again (sorry Bray folk ;))

I did the same thing when I stayed in Birmingham and said NEVER again. I'd love to give this a go but its too far and my back gives me enough problems already, probably for the best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

I myself dont think i'd be capable of doing it due to years of injuries with Rugby among other sports. My back is not good and I dont know if I could handle all gthe bumps for instance and thats not going into things like how I broke my sturnum before amongst other things. However it is something I would consider that I have a passion for and i'd imagine others might feel similarily and thus might enjoy getting involved in it. As I said though it wasnt fully about this offer as im just curious if places offer the chance for people to get ivolved on the non wrestling side in any form.

I dont think managers are actually used all that often as you say but in my opinion that doesent mean they shouldnt be, though obviously id expect more to come from being former wrestlers etc.
    Ah i see, thats understandable. Yeah i play rugby myself and already can feel the back and shoulder problems coming :pac: and im only 21.

Yeah im not sure what criteria is needed to be a manager, where if you need to have been a pro wrestler before any company would hire you. id imagine it would be like acting classes for being a manager.

Its a pity booking/creative writing is such a kind of tight knit community and not like normal journalism, as id love to try that out.

We are crying out for non-wrestler personality right now. We have a show on the 4th of March and we Have 20 wrestlers to choose from but not one referee, no announcers, no music guy, we have 1 or 2 managers, but that's it. So, if anyone wants to come down and train up in a different field than other than in-ring wrestling. That is fine with us.

I'll open the school on the Saturday the 24th of March for the PW Boards training day. Is that date a problem for most?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The fact it's St. Patrick's Day will probably put some people off tbh. Not that I'll make it either way, but it's going to be used as to the excuse why people won't go...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I'm game for Paddy's Day! Or an earlier one!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Justin Ternet

Its not like your going to be getting thrown through tables or hit with chairs or choke slammed by 7ft guys, although id love to see what its like to get thrown through one of those WWE tables :pac:

Actually last year alone I was put through two tables, hit by countless chairs and chokeslammed three times by a 7ft guy. Just saying.

I suppose Paddys day would do but I'd prefer a day that I wont have the possibility of being sued for teaching people to wrestle while extremely intoxicated. I look forward to seeing some of you make it to this session Im sure you'll enjoy it and at least if it's only a one day thing you can say you tried it. For people who are giving excuses as to why they wont do it just give it a shot for one day, believe me when I say whatever excuses you have I have too (out of shape, injury , distance etc). One day to try it out, nothing ventured nothing gained. Plus we're about 50 feet from a great pub if you need scoops.

As for the non wrestling roles we'd love a few people to come along for manager/referee places. There are always room for newcomers in every aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭montyrebel

in all fairness Justin, when Tron (I assume thats the 7 footer you are talking about) having him put you through a table must surely be considered an honour even as painful as it may be. The man is simply a beast and great to watch

Chokeslams and tables were separate occurrences. I job alot in variety of ways, its my thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I wold love to do some mic work, be it as a manager, announcer whatever i live in limerick though so brays out for me :(

Didn't realise Paddy's day was the 17th so...

We'll open the school for you guys on the 24th of March... Sound good?

If we could get a show of hands maybe to see how many lads if any are thinking of going to the boards only training session. It'd be good to see what numbers we might be looking at having so we can organise things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Saw you at the MSW show tonight Justin but didn't get a chance to chat to you about this, always seemed to be other people chatting to you.

It's an awesome offer and opportunity, I am interested but at the same giving it a bit more thought before I give a definitive yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Just imagine if there was a Boardsie show down the line, that'd be awesome. Pity it'd be a hard sell to the punters we'd have to build up our own characters on herd which would destroy this forum.

• Advertisement

Charisteas wrote: »
    Saw you at the MSW show tonight Justin but didn't get a chance to chat to you about this, always seemed to be other people chatting to you.

It's an awesome offer and opportunity, I am interested but at the same giving it a bit more thought before I give a definitive yes.

You should have just come up to me buddy I'm a very approachable person and shy too. If you're having cold feet about it I'd suggest coming down to watch with training gear, at any time you feel like jumping in give it a go. It's only one day to see IF you like it. Nobody will be there with a contract for you to sign for you to come back every week. Although wrestling has been known as the heroin of the entertainment world.

Advertisement