Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NFL DRAFT 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Colts to take a twenty eight million dollar hit in March so if they cut him

Ouch

edit: as I understand, I'm not a cap expert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Colts to take a twenty eight million dollar hit in March so if they cut him

Ouch

edit: as I understand, I'm not a cap expert

Nope. If they cut him, they avoid the 28 mill. But he's 100% a free agent. He will be gone by then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

davyjose wrote: »
    Luck is by far the best NFL ready QB in the draft. of course the Colts (who know a little about the importance of having an elite QB) are going to draft him.

I don't think Manning will play again. Why risk his health for a couple years playing for a team in rebuilding mode solely to nurture his replacement? he's a dad, and a multimillionaire. It won't sit well with him retiring, but he could end up severely injured or worse, with one bad hit.

I've dealt with this over the course of the last few months. It's been hard. He's the reason I'm a fan of the game. But there's a silver lining -- Luck, and Irsay's cop on that the Polians were grinding the franchise into the ground -- and I embrace that.

The Manning we saw on the sideline this season is not a man planning to retire. He's going to be starting come September if he's even 80% healthy, it's really only a question of where - he has planned to go three-four more years, which is plenty of time to win a ring with the right team and I'm sure a player of his caliber is desperate for a second championship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Syferus wrote: »
    The Manning we saw on the sideline this season is not a man planning to retire. He's going to be starting come September if he's even 80% healthy, it's really only a question of where - he has planned to go three-four more years, which is plenty of time to win a ring with the right team and I'm sure a player of his caliber is desperate for a second championship.

I agree. But ultimately the decision may not be his. Ultimately I believe Manning thinks he can still play. Even Manning at 80%, though, isn't good enough to drag a poor team through to the SB. Especially if a 100% fit Manning couldn't.

I still think Manning believes he'll be ok to play next season, but there's a very real chance he'll be told, by his doctors, he can't ever play again. hope that doesn't happen. would love to see him win another ring, even with another team.

What I do think, however, is that Irsay is ready to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Colts should trade him ASAP. They need him off their roster one way or another, 28 million is just too much for a player who could be finished after one sack. Not worth the risk.

• Advertisement

There will be no takers for a trade with that big contract signed last July

It would put a team in salary cap hell

Colts will have no option but to cut him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

There will be no takers for a trade with that big contract signed last July

It would put a team in salary cap hell

Colts will have no option but to cut him

And I would for the Titans to pick him up :D

If Manning gets the all clear, though, they have one of the most desirable players in the history of the league on the block and where-ever Manning ends up would have to be a co-operative decision but has earned the right to veto teams after all he's given to Indy.

I wouldn't rule out the Colts and Manning himself restructuring his deal to make a trade more attractive to the teams both would like to attract in that situation. Money isn't the reason Manning will be playing on.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,123 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Don't agree with any of you tbh. If Manning gets the all clear in the next couple of months and says "I can play" I expect him to significantly restructure his deal and start next season, WITH them taking Luck and assigning him clipboard duty behind one of the best QBs to ever play the sport.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Don't agree with any of you tbh. If Manning gets the all clear in the next couple of months and says "I can play" I expect him to significantly restructure his deal and start next season, WITH them taking Luck and assigning him clipboard duty behind one of the best QBs to ever play the sport.

I'd have thought so too, but Manning is apparently 'shocked' that Irsay dumped the Polians the way he did and all of Irsay's talk is now about the team being in 'rebuilding mode', which in this context means the Colts are going to be building a team for Andrew Luck, not Peyton Manning. You're still going to be paying Manning and Luck large amounts of cash even with the new rookie pay-scale and a better Manning contract, so it'd significantly handicap the potential of any Superbowl run while both are there.

It's became alot more likely that Manning will be shipped off even after a restructured deal after the last few weeks.

I'd personally love to see Manning at least have a swansong with the Colts, but he has a serious question to ask himself now - does he want to be in a huge QB battle to end his career on a team he's regarded as almost godlike (and one not likely to be able to compete for a ring in the near term) or does he want to find a team that's loaded and ready for a run to try and secure himself a second ring?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

So the Browns pick 4th and 22nd, what will they do? Go QB (who will have no weapons) with Griffin? Go for a WR in Blackmon? Will he be on the board by the 4th pick? Will there be any decent RBs or RTs or RGs by the 22nd pick? They have big potential to improve next year, especially if they can force teams to throw on them by putting up points.

Browns are 30th in the league in run defense, realy awful

Their secondary gets some credit and Joe Hadan is a fine player but there is also an element of teams just running all over the Browns so the secondary stats are inflated.

Browns need linebacker help badly and there are options. Maybe Hightower. Someone who can be a team captain for years and years

As for their first pick, RGIII
    Wallace is a good backup for most any team. Not sure what they plan to do with McCoy.

There are options in free agency for WR
    Of course Cleveland is not the most attractive place for a FA but Holmgren should be able to bring in some weapons

For a boring but realistic option, Kevin Ogletree is out there, only 24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Colts are more than a fit Manning away from a superbowl, they've had him for 15 odd years and only won one in that time so expecting them to do it in the next two years is pretty unrealistic. Also Mathis and Wayne will be both free agents and if colts stick with Manning and Luck they will have alot of money tied up at the QB and the Colts without Wayne would be a signficantly weakened team. IF Manning has any sense he'll go to a team who actually has a chance at a superbowl and is just good quarterback short of it. The 49ers for me are the stand out team here. Smith is a free agent this summer and with Colin Karpacernick still learning Manning would slot in easily and would have an elite defense and an excellent running back already in place. With Reggie Wayne a free agent he might just end up their aswell.

Browns are 30th in the league in run defense, realy awful

Their secondary gets some credit and Joe Hadan is a fine player but there is also an element of teams just running all over the Browns so the secondary stats are inflated.

Browns need linebacker help badly and there are options. Maybe Hightower. Someone who can be a team captain for years and years

As for their first pick, RGIII
    Wallace is a good backup for most any team. Not sure what they plan to do with McCoy.

There are options in free agency for WR
    Of course Cleveland is not the most attractive place for a FA but Holmgren should be able to bring in some weapons

For a boring but realistic option, Kevin Ogletree is out there, only 24

I think RGIII would bust in Cleveland. No one to throw it to. Their defense is quality though. Worst performance this season was giving up 30 points to Houston, 5th in the league in points allowed per game. Run defense is bad but 4.4 YPC isn't that bad and they can stop teams on the goalline when they need to. Besides, Sheard and Taylor will only get better. If you're going to draft a QB though, they'll have to get the QB some weapons. The TE situation is fine but they are very weak at RB and WR. Anytime I watched the Browns this season McCoy was uninspiring but the receivers were dropping balls all over the place. Wallace had the same experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

If RG3 comes out of college (hes due to announce tomorrow) hes gone by pick 4.

Somebody trades up to get him.

If Im the Browns I stick with McCoy and get him some wepons. Im getting Blackmon at 4 and linebacker help at 22 (maybe havent done a mock draft myself yet so not sure whos going to be available at 22).

Probably a DE or TE in the third and should pick up a good RB in the 4th to replace Hillis.

D3PO wrote: »
    If RG3 comes out of college (hes due to announce tomorrow) hes gone by pick 4.

Somebody trades up to get him.

If Im the Browns I stick with McCoy and get him some wepons. Im getting Blackmon at 4 and linebacker help at 22 (maybe havent done a mock draft myself yet so not sure whos going to be available at 22).

Probably a DE or TE in the third and should pick up a good RB in the 4th to replace Hillis.

I don't think they need a TE. Watson is good, they drafted Cameron and Evan Moore is very talented. I wonder if they'll trade for a RB or maybe pick one up in free agency. Michael Bush looks very good, I'd be looking to go to a 2-back system if I was them.

Can't see how the Browns pass on Richardson unless it's to use their pick as a bounty for a team desperate for RG3, if he did fall that far. Remember that the new rookie pay scale means they don't have to give Richardson a truckload of money by drafting him there and the potential for a long-term RB solution is obvious to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Syferus wrote: »
    Can't see how the Browns pass on Richardson unless it's to use their pick as a bounty for a team desperate for RG3, if he did fall that far. Remember that the new rookie pay scale means they don't have to give Richardson a truckload of money by drafting him there and the potential for a long-term RB solution is obvious to see.

yeah but there is just no value in taking a rb that high.

i like the last message mentioning bush he looked great for oakland the last 2 seaons when he has played if they could get him that would be a great option.

i defo dont take richardson at 4 over Blackmon no way no how no where

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

IF Manning has any sense he'll go to a team who actually has a chance at a superbowl and is just good quarterback short of it. The 49ers for me are the stand out team here. Smith is a free agent this summer and with Colin Karpacernick still learning Manning would slot in easily and would have an elite defense and an excellent running back already in place. With Reggie Wayne a free agent he might just end up their aswell.

The 49ers with a fit Manning would be a scary prospect. That team would go straight into Superbowl favoritism for me. I'm tempted to say the same if he went to the Jets, although I think they have slightly more holes than the 49ers.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    The 49ers with a fit Manning would be a scary prospect. That team would go straight into Superbowl favoritism for me. I'm tempted to say the same if he went to the Jets, although I think they have slightly more holes than the 49ers.

Not a snowballs chance in hell manning ends up in San Francisco. Doesn't really make any sense.

Smith will be back next year and they will continue their run heavy/low risk passing game.

I don't see 49ers bringing in a new QB to learn the offense they would be back where they were last year, also I think Manning would want to go somewhere that he has more of a say of how the offense is run.

If anything the 49ers should be looking to add WR help IMO.

In short I don't know where he will end up but it won't be in SF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Will any of the QB's featuring in this BCS Championship game (Jefferson, McCarron or possibly Lee) get drafted in this upcoming draft? And if so, how high up the list?

The 49ers would be almost perfect for Manning, Harbaugh would obvious change his cloth to fit like he did when he arrived in San Fran if he had Manning, he's shown a serious aptiude for understanding what he's working with. I'm very happy that Smith is finally proving some of his doubters wrong, but it's been through a very conservative game-plan, one they could seriously expand with Manning, who is more smart enough to learn an offense effectively in a short peroid of time.

The Jets, and perhaps the Ravens, are also options, but for me the dark horses would be the Redskins and the Dolphins.

Synder's willingness to splash the cash - on more than just Manning - and their good defense and run games means Washington would only be a few pieces short of a very serious outfit with Manning on board. The Dolphins looked very dangerous in the second half of the season, a very solid defense, Reggie Bush looks a man reborn and Brandon Marshall is a ready-made #1 receiver for Manning. If one or both of those two teams don't get RG3 or Flynn they'll be very interested in an available Manning, heck, if he is clearly available pre-draft they quite possibly would prefer Manning above any other option.

Manning is not coming to Baltimore

They are tight against the cap as it is and the only big FA signings they'll be doing this offseason are players already on the roster

Baltimore are not like their near neighbours, the Eagles and Redskins when it comes to headlines and FA signings

RGIII still contemplating whether to declare or not. If he doesn't, this will surely be one of the worst draft classes as far as QB are concerned. There's Luck, RGIII, and then after that it seems to be fairly poor.

Manning is not coming to Baltimore

They are tight against the cap as it is and the only big FA signings they'll be doing this season are players already on the roster

Baltimore are not like their near neighbours, the Eagles and Redskins when it comes to headlines and FA signings

They need to find something that stablisizes their offense either way. On paper they have a very fine WR corps in Boldin, Smith and Evans, whose season and impact was almost stolen with his injury. Ray Rice is pure money, as is their defense. Cam Cameron is the oft-cited issue but if they also think Manning would be what gets them a ring in the next couple years they'll dump some of their cap weight double-quick.

Don't get me wrong. It's the least likely of those I listed because Flacco's mostly looked like a good QB over his career, but it's certainly a place Manning would be very willing to go to. It'd be beautiful to watch probably the Colts' greatest player playing for Baltimore!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

lads im new to nfl and i follow the redskins(dont ask)
    what positions do people think we need to strenghthen and who could we get
    thanks;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Paully D wrote: »
    Will any of the QB's featuring in this BCS Championship game (Jefferson, McCarron or possibly Lee) get drafted in this upcoming draft? And if so, how high up the list?

Jefferson -- Maybe in another position such as WR. He's a bit of an athletic freak so he will get looked at over the next few months.

Lee -- Not a chance I'd say.

McCarron -- Sophomore.

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Jefferson -- Maybe in another position such as WR. He's a bit of an athletic freak so he will get looked at over the next few months.

Lee -- Not a chance I'd say.

McCarron -- Sophomore.

Is Jefferson not a bit too slow to play WR?

McCarron is a sophomore? Jesus, he had a very good game last night. It'll be interesting to see how he develops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    IF Manning has any sense he'll go to a team who actually has a chance at a superbowl and is just good quarterback short of it. The 49ers for me are the stand out team here. Smith is a free agent this summer and with Colin Karpacernick still learning Manning would slot in easily and would have an elite defense and an excellent running back already in place. With Reggie Wayne a free agent he might just end up their aswell.

There's not a chance in hell Manning goes to the the Jets.

There's no way he's going to go face to face with Eli in NYC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

There's not a chance in hell Manning goes to the the Jets.

There's no way he's going to go face to face with Eli in NYC.

The media would pit it that way but they don't play each other again competitively until 2015 of which Peyton will be retired.

It more than likely wont happen but dont rule out the Jets going after him if he and the Colts do decide to part ways. Rex does be constantly name dropping and fapping about him when speaking about Quarterbacks and they love a big Marquee signing. Most recently Favre, Plax and pursuing Nnamdi ridiculously last summer despite having the best Corner in football, Cro as an option and an ok (albeit slightly disappointing so far) Kyle Wilson.

Personally if he goes I see him at the Redskins.

Ideally I'd like to send Sanchez packing back to his buddy Pete Carroll in Seattle and using the cap room to facilitate Peyton.

Advertisement