Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need advice for buying surfboard

Options
  • 03-09-2014 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hey guys,
    I am beginner surfer from co. Galway
    Was surfing at Lahinch few times on standard rented longboard and was doing really good for the beginning, but I found it a bit too big and heavy for me, so I wish to move forward with surfing and invest money in a good beginner/advanced board.
    As I just started to collect all the information about surfing in Ireland, Im not really good in boards types for irish waters, but I think I need something like shortboard or funboard, as I am 77kg anf 178cm tall and 33yo well fitt guy.
    I would be very thankfull if you have any tips, advices or board that suits me better.

The question is: will this board suit me for growing up?
    adverts.ie/surfing/surf-board-board-bag-and-leash/6079766 ???

Best regards,
    Max

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭MACtic

Hi ihavedarksoul. From my experience I can definitely say to buy a longboard and not a shortboard until you are comfortable catching and riding unbroken waves.
    You need to have a floaty, stable board to learn on to get you into waves early and to paddle easy. I understand a shortboard is your target but don't make mistake of buying a board that is too small.
    The one that you posted has too pointy nose for my taste, not something you want on your first board.
    I'd say buy an 8 foot or maybe a tad smaller board and go from that.
    I have Torq 8'0" (and 9'0" as well) and it's really good. Durable, light and I like the bottom contours on it. I can highly recommended it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ihaveadarksoul

MACtic wrote: »
    Hi ihavedarksoul. From my experience I can definitely say to buy a longboard and not a shortboard until you are comfortable catching and riding unbroken waves.
    You need to have a floaty, stable board to learn on to get you into waves early and to paddle easy. I understand a shortboard is your target but don't make mistake of buying a board that is too small.
    The one that you posted has too pointy nose for my taste, not something you want on your first board.
    I'd say buy an 8 foot or maybe a tad smaller board and go from that.
    I have Torq 8'0" (and 9'0" as well) and it's really good. Durable, light and I like the bottom contours on it. I can highly recommended it.

Thanks for the reply.
    Probably you are right, I think I will go from 7" to 8" longboard, just need to manage volume for my weight :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 fayvirtue

I tried to transition from long to short to quick and it was a mistake. You really have to take your time with the long board - you will know when it is time to switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I’d give that one a miss, spider boards are made in south Africa and they use lighter fibre glass to make the board lighter and cheaper - not great to start out on. If you can borrow some boards and try them to see how you get on. But ideally starting out you want a board that is at least a foot taller than you to help you catch waves the it needs to be wide to make it stable popping up. A narrow board will be very twitchy and hard to pop up on. Also face the facts you will be sitting in a line up where over half the people grew up surfing, they live there so they surf all the time. At best you are a weekend warrior in the winter and might get to surf one or two evenings a week in the summer as well. You also started to old. You are at an instant disadvantage and need to level the playing field get a longboard a second hand bic 9’ft would be a great starter board if you can.

Here are some cheap board that will get you going and you can sell on without losing much if any money
    http://www.adverts.ie/surfing/hifly-board/5487424
    http://www.adverts.ie/surfing/ashley-8-6-surfboard/6667587 (there might be something wrong with the fin box on this board ask)
    http://www.adverts.ie/surfing/beachbeat-7ft-2-surfboard-surf/6498301 If you really want a short board but it’s had a lot of reparis so beat him down on price.

Also think about what will fit in your card of will you get a roof rack

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ihaveadarksoul

thnx guys

I bought cusom 7'6" 21" wide mini mal of irish shaper Mark McGuire, very light and really fast, happy enough and allready thinking about 6'8" short one.

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

After 2 months you're going to a 6'8?

Fair play...
    Id say most people would start with >8' for about a year or two then work down... You want to catch every single wave that comes your way to be able to catch the green waves eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭FirstinLastout

Fair play OP, you're the kind of beginner that I like! :)

Advertisement