Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Overnight parking Doolin /Lahinch

• 09-03-2014 9:58am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend any good overnight parking spots in Doolin or Lahinch? Hoping to head to Clare next weekend. Don't want to stay in campsites.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

MammaZita wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend any good overnight parking spots in Doolin or Lahinch? Hoping to head to Clare next weekend. Don't want to stay in campsites.

Thanks

There's two car parks near the pier that I have stayed in several times with no bother in doolin. Don,t know if it was affected with the recent storms though.Car park in lahinch also but might get busy after pubs close. There are no overnight parking signs in these locations :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Thanks

I parked overnight last year without any problems in Lahinch, opposite the surf centre on the seafront. Problem now might be that repairs may not have been done yet following the storms. The whole of the car park looked, on the tv pics, as though it was completely destroyed.
    Might be worth a look though as it was very quiet and peaceful even though it was Sept. when I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Have a look on Google street view, could you park in Liscrannor at the pier - nice place for a few pints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭bluethunder

The village of Liscannor is only a short way from Lahinch, there's a pier there with a large concrete area that we parked in before. Would be much quieter and less conspicuous than Lahinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Doolin carpark beside the campsite rather than the ferry one. Not sure how it handled the storms. Public toilets are beside and kept well and opened early closed late at least in season. Un-interuppted sea views and often one or two other vehicles in there. Bit of a walk if you want to go to the pubs at the bridge but other than that I can't fault it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pastense

Last time I was in Doolin the barriers at the car park outside the campsite were locked and the buses that used to turn in the car park were turning on the road outside the campsite. There were no camper vans in the car park all weekend as a result.
    That car park took a pounding from the big storm.
    Don't know what the current situation is.
    The campsite is open from this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Martin_D

use the campsite surely is best bet particularly if you have kids. Its a great location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Theres no height barrier on the pier area parking and plenty of space to park on fisher street running down to the pier. The gardai instruct the council to close height barriers at peak times but they're often open. If you do decide to go to a site, nagles is fantastic in good weather but if theres stong winds mccormacks in fanore would be more sheltered. Theres often a couple of vans here too:
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.064546,-9.35987,3a,75y,332.93h,91.98t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sc828X9sGd6KKrqCkqADxTQ!2e0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MammaZita

Thank you very much for all the suggestions- looks like there are plenty of options. We prefer not to stay in campsites but park somewhere scenic and move on the next morning, though I have heard great things about Nagles so might give it a try. Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Niall_G

Lahinch car park is open and has 5 designated camper spaces. Ovennight parking is prohibited by relatively new bye-laws but this is not indicated anywhere. It would not be an issue at this time of year.

The spaces are towards the front of the carpark (you can't get to the back because of height barriers). I have stayed there before with young children and no problems but I'm not sure I would do so St Patricks weekend.

In Doolin you often have campers parked in the car park on the way out to the pier (past O'Connors pub) and I have stayed there also with no problems - just go past the pubs and houses so you are not in anyone's way.

• Advertisement

Thank you for the responses.

Stayed in the designated motorhome spaces for 3 nights last weekend. Only 1 or 2 other motorhomes each night. Very quiet and very safe. Great spot, would definitely go back.

The Doolin car park (close to the campsite) was also open and might use that next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Niall_G

Thank you for the responses.

Stayed in the designated motorhome spaces for 3 nights last weekend. Only 1 or 2 other motorhomes each night. Very quiet and very safe. Great spot, would definitely go back.

The Doolin car park (close to the campsite) was also open and might use that next time.

It's a very different experience in the summer unfortunately, especially on Bank Holiday weekends. Lovely off-season though.

Niall_G wrote: »
    It's a very different experience in the summer unfortunately, especially on Bank Holiday weekends. Lovely off-season though.

I'd say so. We were very pleasantly surprised that there were so few campers about on a mild bank holiday weekend in March. The carpark itself was packed throughout the day but didn't effect us as we were gone all day and we managed to get a designated space each evening without any bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

I'd say so. We were very pleasantly surprised that there were so few campers about on a mild bank holiday weekend in March. The carpark itself was packed throughout the day but didn't effect us as we were gone all day and we managed to get a designated space each evening without any bother.

It's good to know the car park is up and running. Was the storm damage as bad as it look on the T.V.?

It's good to know the car park is up and running. Was the storm damage as bad as it look on the T.V.?

There are a few places still closed such as the Wave Restaurant. It's hard to believe how far the water came in- the playground at the carpark is completely closed due to the ground surface being torn away. Also there appears to be significant damage to a walking route beside it which is also closed off (first time in Lahinch so not sure what it was like previously).

Lahinch is definitely open for business though with plenty of overnight motorhome parking. We'll definitely be back.

Advertisement