Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VRT gone up by €300 in 1 month??

• 05-06-2012 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, very angered boards user here!

Last month I was looking at VRT prices for a car and the cost I was getting were just over 400 €

This month, however, inputting the exact same vehicle details (definitely), the VRT now sits at over €750.

How come this changed by so much in the space of a month?? How often do VRT prices change?

Has the car value gone up somehow??

Any help would be appreciated :(
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

How many times did you check it in that month? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Dirkster

I better throw this in there to prevent everything being repeated.
    Welcome to the club bud.....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78641756

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What's the true value of the car, and what's the correct VRT %?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

The car is:

Smart
    Fortwo
    Brabus
    74BHP
    2 seater
    32000 miles

was €400 last month to VRT now €700 :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

And it'll be 1000 if you keep checking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Maybe it's like the Ryanair site that allegedly tracks your IP and puts the price up every time you go back to look :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

clear cookies on your browser before next check, or use another computer, or when youll be ready pay vrt, do the check from other computer, and print out results, and go in same day to vrt office.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Mar4ix wrote: »
    clear cookies on your browser before next check, or use another computer, or when youll be ready pay vrt, do the check from other computer, and print out results, and go in same day to vrt office.

That's not how they track it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Go on ...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Urban myth is that when the same criteria is repeatably entered it is tracked and the price goes up. Similar to the amount of hits a website receives. Deleting your cookies or using a different computer will make no difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

bazz26 wrote: »
    Urban myth is that when the same criteria is repeatably entered it is tracked and the price goes up. Similar to the amount of hits a website receives. Deleting your cookies or using a different computer will make no difference.

I'm not one to jump on board conspiracy theory's but it does seem odd that a large number of second hand cars seem to increase drastically in value over a short space of time.

The actual process of changing prices when any specific sku is searched far above the normal baseline wouldn't be difficult to do. And in fairness to the Revenue Commissioners, they are the one state body that are really really good at their job. Which is getting more money in.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

jayjay2010 wrote: »
    Hi guys, very angered boards user here!

Last month I was looking at VRT prices for a car and the cost I was getting were just over 400 €

This month, however, inputting the exact same vehicle details (definitely), the VRT now sits at over €750.

How come this changed by so much in the space of a month?? How often do VRT prices change?

Has the car value gone up somehow??

Any help would be appreciated :(
    Is €700 too high for that car? Off the top of my head, I would have thought €400 was very much on the low side.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Irrespective of car value, I thought the minimum VRT charge has been....€720...??...for ages now, so how you got a €400 quote escapes me ?

Or did I read the site wrong ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I'm not one to jump on board conspiracy theory's but it does seem odd that a large number of second hand cars seem to increase drastically in value over a short space of time.

The actual process of changing prices when any specific sku is searched far above the normal baseline wouldn't be difficult to do. And in fairness to the Revenue Commissioners, they are the one state body that are really really good at their job. Which is getting more money in.

I think you overestimate the competence of our civil servants TBH!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

galwaytt wrote: »
    Irrespective of car value, I thought the minimum VRT charge has been....€720...??...for ages now, so how you got a €400 quote escapes me ?

Or did I read the site wrong ?

Depends on the emissions:

CO2 Emissions (g CO2/km) VRT Rates Minimum VRT
    0 - 120g 14% of OMSP €280
    121 - 140g 16% of OMSP €320
    141 - 155g 20% of OMSP €400
    156 - 170g 24% of OMSP €480
    171 - 190g 28% of OMSP €560
    191 - 225g 32% of OMSP €640
    226g and over 36% of OMSP €720

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/vrt-guide.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

draffodx wrote: »
    Depends on the emissions:

CO2 Emissions (g CO2/km) VRT Rates Minimum VRT
    0 - 120g 14% of OMSP €280
    121 - 140g 16% of OMSP €320
    141 - 155g 20% of OMSP €400
    156 - 170g 24% of OMSP €480
    171 - 190g 28% of OMSP €560
    191 - 225g 32% of OMSP €640
    226g and over 36% of OMSP €720

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/vrt-guide.html

Ah, emissions..........nothing I'd buy would be that low down the scale!!

but this line is interesting, and must be up for a challenge For each rate the limit reflects a car with a value of approximately €2,000 from here: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/faqs-vrt.html#section24

....isn't that rigging of the system ?

Consider: go to DoneDeal, search for cars under, say..........1k. If you find your desired one, then, surely the OMSP is 'false' and could be challenged ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement