Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Driver Insults Disabled Student

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,361 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

You might be happy with "grand," but when I'm a paying customer I expect a little more.

Such as? As long as they get me from A to B in one piece, that's all I care about and it's what I pay for. After all that is their job, not to humour needy people with idle chitchat and empty platitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree with this interpretation of wage rates.

Apart from post 2012 drivers pay scale being extended from 4 years to 6,the start and end points remain unchanged and apply across the board.

One significant misunderstanding,judging from your post,is your use of the AFTER TAX figure.

This net figure is different for each individual depending upon their circumstances and is in no-way,an indicator of the overall wage rate/scale.

I doubt very much whether ANY employee,anywhere,can ever be said to be satisfied with their take-home pay !!!!

Before tax in the first year its 107.80
    In the sixth year before tax is 124.82

All per day before tax. They are the official rates.

So in 6 years the pay goes up by approx 20 euro per day before tax. Which in my opinion is still not worth it for this job.

Also in my opinion the drivers can be worse to deal with than the passenger's

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Before tax in the first year its 107.80
    In the sixth year before tax is 124.82

All per day before tax. They are the official rates.

So in 6 years the pay goes up by approx 20 euro per day before tax. Which in my opinion is still not worth it for this job.

Also in my opinion the drivers can be worse to deal with than the passenger's

All valid points,for sure...however,in relation to wage rates,you originally suggested that the upper figure "Does'nt really exist",but as you point out here,it actually does.

What any job is "worth" is always up for debate,and I suppose,it resolves back down to what an individual is prepared to do it for.

Both Irish PSV,and Road Haulage sectors have plenty of people working for similar or lesser amounts.9

What each individual employee takes home,is a very big variable,as so many personal decisions influence it.

The only other variable is the time taken to reach that rate.

For sure the Busdrivers pay is not in the IFA league,however I would suggest that,as with the general workforce,any increases will be tied to "productivity" deals.

With over 2,500 individual drivers now employed in Dublin Bus,I'd agree that some of them could be "worse to deal with"...although,you can be sure that some of those will say pretty much the same about you.

...It's kinda like life itself really....some of it's good,some of it's crap ?

Not really relevant to this thread though,is it ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

How is one persons unsubstantiated claim about something worthy of an article? How is this news? The Indo keeping up its rag credentials.

Paper never refuses ink.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Such as? As long as they get me from A to B in one piece, that's all I care about and it's what I pay for. After all that is their job, not to humour needy people with idle chitchat and empty platitudes.

I'm not looking for empty platitudes. I simply don't want to be on a bus where somebody lights up a cigarette or is playing music out loud. I don;t think that's unreasonable.

I've raised other passengers smoking numerous times to a driver to be told, "oh. just sit downstairs then."

That level of service isn't good enough.

If they display no smoking signs it should be enforced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

Just who do you expect to enforce the no smoking rule then? The driver? He's on his own as far as I can see. The perspex screen is there because I can remember seeing drivers battered by the dregs back in the 90s for next to nothing. Can any Dublin bus drivers here explain if there's a guideline they have to follow in the event of someone smoking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    There have been a few comments on how stressful their job is and cyclists being some special stress. That is their job and if they can't handle it don't do it. From my experience most bus drivers can handle their job dealing with all traffic. There are of course those who can't and aggressively bully other road users.
    Here is an example of a bus driver veering into a cycle lane and being aggressive. I know some people seem to think the cyclist is in the wrong but he is in a cycle lane that the driver is not meant to enter as it is a continuous white and isn't indicating. Then happily says he will kill the cyclist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwqRqIvo4GU

That youtube video is a great example of why so many people get pissed off with cyclists...

They think their cycle lanes are like a foreign country, and aggressively enforce THEIR space... Even if it possibly means playing chicken with a bus!

I've seen so many examples of this behaviour where cyclists try to engineer a situation so they can have a confrontation.

Speeding past a bus on the inside while it's in full motion is a foolish thing to do... Regardless of wether you are in the right or not!

Technically the bus driver might be in the wrong here by entering the cycle lane. But the cyclist is still a gobsh**e because they are acting like their cycle lane gives them licence to ride as fast, reckless and carelessly as they wish...

It doesn't!!!

The bus driver is not totally in the right here, but I understand why they get pissed off.

They have to deal with idiot kamakaze cyclists everyday... Would drive a person to the brink of homicidal tendencies!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 22,361 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I'm not looking for empty platitudes. I simply don't want to be on a bus where somebody lights up a cigarette or is playing music out loud. I don;t think that's unreasonable.

I've raised other passengers smoking numerous times to a driver to be told, "oh. just sit downstairs then."

That level of service isn't good enough.

If they display no smoking signs it should be enforced.

It's not the driver's fault that he's on his own and has no help in enforcing the signs. Why would any of them want to stop the bus and confront some scumbag who could easily pull a knife or syringe on them? It's the management of Dublin Bus you should direct your complaints at rather than the drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

dd972 wrote: »
    Erm, I was kinda....there... when it happened :rolleyes:

No matter what sort of mood a DB driver is in, he's not going to shout 'prick' at you or tell you to **** off without some reason to i.e. your acting the bollocks, or unless he has Tourette's Syndrome. So I'm afraid your anecdote is a load of crap.

Advertisement