Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Bus Driver Insults Disabled Student

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Most dublin bus drivers I've encountered have been grand. Maybe not singing & dancing for joy but that's because they have to concentrate on operating a large & awkward vehicle. Bear in mind we're only getting one side of the story here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I took someone in a wheelchair on Dublin bus the other day and the two bus drivers could not have been more helpful, from my one anecdote I have come to the conclusion every bus drives in Dublin is fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

If it happened like that or happened at all, then what a **** - deserves heavy reprimand.

But we only have the passenger's word for it. Seems rather far-fetched and unlikely. I'd reckon the bus driver was unpleasant to him but I'd question whether he went as far as claimed, and would wonder too whether the passenger was being unpleasant also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

After travelling to London recently, every bus driver/TFL employee I met seemed cheerful/to enjoy their job!

1: ****ing hell. I have never in me life seen anyone imply that London bus drivers are friendly or cheerful.

2: assuming you didn't make that up for the craic , maybe it's because Dublin bus drivers know they're gonna get a "thanks" regardless of how much of a **** they are. London bus drivers don't get that even if they give you a quick tug when you hop off.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Custardpi wrote: »
    Most dublin bus drivers I've encountered have been grand. Maybe not singing & dancing for joy but that's because they have to concentrate on operating a large & awkward vehicle. Bear in mind we're only getting one side of the story here.

I just don't see them providing the same level of service as I saw whilst in the UK.

Great to see smoking and music played on speakers not tolerated there. Direct intervention numerous times put an end to this. Too many times here in my experience, it's been left up to the passengers to say something.

You might be happy with "grand," but when I'm a paying customer I expect a little more.

• Advertisement

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    1: ****ing hell. I have never in me life seen anyone imply that London bus drivers are friendly or cheerful..

No joke - was living in the Russell Square area, travelling to Fulham broadway in most cases - they were great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

we have one side to this story

the fact the complainant went to the press instead of allowing due process to take it's place first speaks volumes.
    I automatically doubt his story is a full and frank version of events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

arayess wrote: »
    we have one side to this story

the fact the complainant went to the press instead of allowing due process to take it's place first speaking volumes.
    I automatically doubt his story is a full and frank version of events.

I agree. The time to go to the press is after the outcome of due process, if at all.

The bus driver could be innocent here but in the mean time this heaps undue pressure on him.

I just don't see them providing the same level of service as I saw whilst in the UK.

Great to see smoking and music played on speakers not tolerated there. Direct intervention numerous times put an end to this. Too many times here in my experience, it's been left up to the passengers to say something.

You might be happy with "grand," but when I'm a paying customer I expect a little more.

Although I would have gripes about Dublin Bus regarding the frequency of services (waiting 25 mins then 3 turning up at once on an "every 10 mins" route etc) once I'm actually on the bus the service I require is to be transported to my destination at the best speed possible & in a safe manner. I don't need anyone to tug their forelock at me. Are you the kind of person who gets miffed if a shop assistant doesn't call you "Sir"?

As for "directly intervening" in incidents, could that be because drivers know that they'll get little protection from the courts or the company? Doesn't London have a kind of dedicated transport police with statutory powers? The closest we have is those lads on the Luas who can basically do feck all to you.

Custardpi wrote: »
    As for "directly intervening" in incidents, could that be because drivers know that they'll get little protection from the courts or the company? Doesn't London have a kind of dedicated transport police with statutory powers? The closest we have is those lads on the Luas who can basically do feck all to you.

That could be it!

My comparison to London is solely level of service. If this is what makes the difference, I don't see why we shouldn't adopt the same modus operandi.

Again, for the record, I'm not slating all drivers here. My comments are all on the experiences I've been in over the years - I get everybody has different experiences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I find it hard to believe that story myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Azalea wrote: »
    If it happened like that or happened at all, then what a **** - deserves heavy reprimand.

But we only have the passenger's word for it. Seems rather far-fetched and unlikely. I'd reckon the bus driver was unpleasant to him but I'd question whether he went as far as claimed, and would wonder to whether the passenger was being unpleasant also.

Taking a photograph of the driver as he got off the bus was a bit unnecessary and could easily be misinterpreted as threatening. Not that that would justify chasing him around the place and threatening to break a phone across his head, obviously. But there are probably more discreet ways of making a complaint - a lot of people seem to get added satisfaction from haughtily informing people that they'll be making an official complaint against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Having seen a bus driver question whether a guy struggling to climb onto a bus 'really couldn't lift his leg another couple of inches' to avoid activating the kneeler (for whatever reason), I don't find this particularly far fetched. Used to ride the bus daily for college and the occasional driver on certain routes was always cheerful but generally you'd get the impression the driver would like nothing better than to steer you all into oncoming traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Dublin Bus never take complaints seriously, so I applaud this customer for going to the press first, if it forces DB to do something about his complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Will wait for more news on this story before setting fire to me pitchfork.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Whatever happened to just following procedures in this case and waiting to see what happened. Why do people feel the need to run to a newspaper before things have run their course?

Azalea wrote: »

But we only have the passenger's word for it. Seems rather far-fetched and unlikely. I'd reckon the bus driver was unpleasant to him but I'd question whether he went as far as claimed, and would wonder to whether the passenger was being unpleasant also.

The first part of the story I'd well believe. I have family with passes for "invisibly disabilities" and they've had the pass snatched out of thir hands and scrutinised. No problem with them examining it but it's the manner in which they've done it, and invented rules like "this doesn't have any photo on it! You'll need to show me photo ID too!" Which sounds like it's a reasonable rule but it's actually not a rule! There's no reason for a driver to demand that.

Where this lad lost me is where he has a disability that makes him extremely tired and wasting skeletal muscles but the bus driver couldn't catch him. Like really, that's is just not plausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

I regularly get the Bus to and from work. I usually get the same bus driver and he's one of the nicest guys around. Always in good humour.

That said, I've met my fair share of brutes over the years. Last week one of the drivers drove right passed the bus stop, stopped a few yards down the road to let 6 or so people off. I ran up to the bus thinking the driver had obviously forgotten to stop at the bus stop, to which he closed the doors in my face and drove off. Don't know how some of these drivers get away with this sort of carry on. I'd send a legitimate complaint to Dublin Bus but I know the matter won't be taken seriously.

It's a pity because it's drivers like this that give a bad name for the friendly drivers of Dublin Bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    Like really, that's is just not plausible.

Probably not, but considering the physical condition of many of our bus drivers, it could be!

Probably not, but considering the physical condition of many of our bus drivers, it could be!

"What with being rude and aggressive to all my passengers of a morning, I wouldn't really have time for the oul fitness ya know yourself."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I'm in the same boat as this young chap, I have a free travel pass for a disability not immediately apparent (I'm only 22) and I have also had a hard time off Dublin bus employees about it.

I know like, 90% of their drivers/inspectors are fine no bother, but the 10% are a right pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I have a funny feeling he thought he was a bit of a smart arse asking the driver if he could see his pass. Seems more interested in getting his story in the paper than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I wouldn't call it acceptable behaviour, if true, but I was expecting a story about some kind of slur based on his disability. Just addressing him as "you smart c***" doesn't seem to fall in to that category. IMHO.

I have a funny feeling he thought he was a bit of a smart arse asking the driver if he could see his pass. Seems more interested in getting his story in the paper than anything else.

Yes, while it may well be true (in which case the driver's an arse) but it does sound like exactly the sort of story which modern "journalism" thrives on.

"This Disabled Man Tried To Get On A Bus. What Happened Next Will Shock You!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it acceptable behaviour, if true, but I was expecting a story about some kind of slur based on his disability. Just addressing him as "you smart c***" doesn't seem to fall in to that category. IMHO.

Agreed. My opinion of bus drivers is... pretty low, but in all the sh!te I've seen and heard them do, never witnessed them discriminating based on disability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

sounds like the driver was taking his time inspecting the pass, which he is more than entitled to, there are plenty of forged or misused passes out there and this person has a disability that isn't immediately apparent.

I'm not condoning the actions of the driver, but the student didn't help things by firstly being a bit of a smart alec when the driver was inspecting the pass, and second trying to take the driver's photo which the driver expected to be used to shame/defame him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Jesus wept. Student needs to build a bridge and get over it.
    Bus driver did what he's supposed to do, check the disability pass.
    If the student has a problem with that let him go n shyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Panthro wrote: »
    Jesus wept. Student needs to build a bridge and get over it.
    Bus driver did what he's supposed to do, check the disability pass.
    If the student has a problem with that let him go n shyte.

And store it in his apartment for months! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

After travelling to London recently, every bus driver/TFL employee I met seemed cheerful/to enjoy their job!

LOLOLOLOLOLZ
    Are you talking about London, England? I take the bus twice a day here and I can't recall the last time I met a non-surly bus driver. They are famously miserable.

I never had any trouble with the Dublin lads. I mean you don't get onto a city centre bus that deals with all kinds of w@nker passengers and infuriating traffic on a daily basis expecting a rendition of Wheels on the Bus go Round and Round, just generally not being a rude ignorant arsehole is all you can ask for really.

This particular lad was clearly being antagonized by a passenger who seemed to revel in pissing him off. Not that he deserved the treatment, but two sides and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

I must live along some magical bus corridor... every Dublin Bus driver I encounter is grand. I don't expect some phoney customer-centric cheerfulness.

You see the odd wanker be short with a tourist or driving like a maniac, but as someone who uses DB every day these occurrences only happen once or twice a year.

They also have a tough job. Not in the driving but they're quite isolated for much of their working day and the interactions they do have are brief, meaningless and often with junkies.

Advertisement