Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sunday Times Poll 18 Nov

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Tomorrows Sunday Times Poll is carrying the following opinion poll data from Behaviour & Attitudes.

FG - 30% (-1%)
    FF - 22% (+6%)
    SF - 14% (-4%)
    Lab - 12% (-2%)
    Ind - 19% (NC)
    Greens - 2% (NC)

Micheál Martin is also the most popular leader in the Dáil, with his approval rating being at 42%. Fianna Fáil will be happy with this poll, seems to give some merit to the previous opinion polls which showed an increase in popularity.

Boost for Fianna Fáil and Martin in new opinion poll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Tomorrows Sunday Times Poll is carrying the following opinion poll data from Behaviour & Attitudes.

FG - 30% (-1%)
    FF - 22% (+6%)
    SF - 14% (-4%)
    Lab - 12% (-2%)
    Ind - 19% (NC)
    Greens - 2% (NC)

Micheál Martin is also the most popular leader in the Dáil, with his approval rating being at 42%. Fianna Fáil will be happy with this poll, seems to give some merit to the previous opinion polls which showed an increase in popularity.
    Good to see the Shinners and the stickies both losing ground, but would be worried that FF have 22% and that MM is so popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Latest poll, to be published tomorrow showing sustained recovery for Fianna Fail, now comfortably second most popular party in the country. Labour slide continues . .

Micheal Martin now most popular party leader.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/boost-for-fianna-fail-and-martin-in-new-opinion-poll-574589.html

I am sure Martin will be very surprised at that. Sure he thinks to himself "I have done nothing":D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Not big surprise to me,Cant blame the Politicians its us the people who vote them in,You reap what you sow,I foresee when the next general election come s around it shall be between FF & FG, Nothing changes if nothing changes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Some good news within the polling for MM, showing that his popularity is rising significantly amongst females and urban dwellers - areas in which FF are weak in terms of representation at the moment.
    Meanwhile, Micheál Martin’s improved fortunes in the personal popularity stakes are evident across all key socio demographic groupings, albeit with the most significant increases registering amongst females, urban dwellers and, encouragingly from his own longer term perspective as leader of the party, by a full 11 percentage points amongst Fianna Fáil supporters.

The party is also significantly increasing support amongst the younger sections of the electorate, building on the findings of other opinion polls.
    Other encouraging signs for Fianna Fáil include the fact that its support levels now stand at 26% amongst 18-34 year olds; just five points behind Fine Gael within this age bracket.

Dublin support also seems to be on the rise seemingly.
    The party is also in second place in Dublin on 21% of the vote

http://www.banda.ie/assets/files/pdf/Sunday%20Times%20November%20full%20report.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

looks like the FF strategy of "Let's go to the Winchester, have a pint, and wait for this to blow over" is predictably paying dividends.
    Disappointed to see them gain ground in Dublin, I was genuinely proud that the capital was FF free.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

looks like the FF strategy of "Let's go to the Winchester, have a pint, and wait for this to blow over" is predictably paying dividends.
    Disappointed to see them gain ground in Dublin, I was genuinely proud that the capital was FF free.

Winchester? Name of a rifle? Surely that is a SF option.?

As times are likely to be even tougher, it seems voters are staying with FG and moving to FF.

Labours ardent protection of the PS does not seem to be paying off for them.

nuac wrote: »
    Winchester? Name of a rifle? Surely that is a SF option.?

also the name of a pub so clearly a publican party option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

What does it matter the damage is done, but it does show the Irish for the fools they are, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

This is a very sad state of affairs for Ireland that any person would vote for the party that bankrupted us and gave away our sovereignty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

They should really have a "None of the Above" option for these polls. Fianna Fail are benefiting from an anti-government backlash as much as the coalition parties benefited from an anti-FF backlash in the last election.

The really depressing part of this is that it's not just coffin dodgers that are supporting FF. Who the hell are these 26% of 18-34 year olds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

I've been living abroad for the past couple of years as a direct result of the economic collapse of our country. Just back a couple of days and I now read this...jaysus!! I cannot believe there is still support for FF amongst the electorate and an increase in support just adds insult to injury. I won't be hanging around for much longer, with this and the tragedy in Galway University Hospital I've never been less proud in being Irish.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

It just shows a lack of alternatives IMO.

Public getting sick of pseudo political reform too.

thebman wrote: »
    It just shows a lack of alternatives IMO.

It shows that the public are welcoming the constructive, yet pragmatic, opposition offered by Fianna Fáil. The electorate are not interested in those political parties which attempt to be against everything and for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

It shows that the public are welcoming the constructive, yet pragmatic, opposition offered by Fianna Fáil. The electorate are not interested in those political parties which attempt to be against everything and for nothing.

You've just described FF there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

Not true...... bankrupting the country and beating up the people fixing it is not constructive or pragmatic. Fianna Fail's opposition tactics disgust me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Why isn't it a red c poll?

Never heard of Behaviour and Attitudes doing political polls before.

Why are we not seeing red c polls recently? Last one according to Red C's website was October 29th, 2012 which is a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

raymon wrote: »
    Not true...... bankrupting the country and beating up the people fixing it is not constructive or pragmatic. Fianna Fail's opposition tactics disgust me

It is bizzare that people would go back to supporting FF .... to give them an opportunity to do it all again. And believe me they will do it again given a chance. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

http://www.banda.ie/political-social.html

• Advertisement

Red C usually publish polls at end of each month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Why would you think that Dub was FFFree? Bertie was Saint Local Boy, and sure a whole heap of people would still vote for FF if they were killing babies on O'Connel street, sure spose they have to stick to their principles.
    The one good thing about SF is they are sufficiently wacko to do unpredictable good things in opposition. Look at how they torpedoed Sean Gallagher.
    Having FF in opposition is totally useless, that party is spent as a representaive of the people. You might as well a bunch of talking toys from Hamleys in the "dail". They have far less credibility than SF, having ACTUALLY bankrupt the country.
    juuge wrote: »
    I've been living abroad for the past couple of years as a direct result of the economic collapse of our country. Just back a couple of days and I now read this...jaysus!! I cannot believe there is still support for FF amongst the electorate and an increase in support just adds insult to injury. I won't be hanging around for much longer, with this and the tragedy in Galway University Hospital I've never been less proud in being Irish.

You shouldn't feel shame in things you didn't take part in , no more than you should feel pride. Nationalism has to be based on what you have at least expressed an opinion on publicly or in vote, better is what what you actually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I would not read too much into it. Support for FG is still solid, and that is the crux of the matter. FF appear to have gained from SF and Labour, so the shift for some voters is SF to FF? As a result of the murder of the prison officer, support for SF may be down, as many will associate any IRA with SF, hence the shift to FF, which will be short lived, IMO. People are obviously feeling better now that some are prepared to risk all again on incompetents who have done nothing constructive to sort the problems they created, other than criticize.

Why would you think that Dub was FFFree? .
    because Dublin returned no FF TD's with the exception of the late Brian Lenihan whose seat was eventually taken by Patrick Nulty in a by-election. The current FF TD count for Dublin is zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭gaffer91

Delighted to see SF support fall, long may it continue.

Not sure what FF have done to merit an increase in support however. They are the best in opposition but that is really not saying much, and they also landed the country in this economic crisis in the first place. Perhaps an infusion of young blood untainted by the 1997-2011 years, and a dose of social liberalism would result in the party carving out a more deserved niche in the political system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

That Fianna Fail have 22% support is mind boggling.

I'd like to see a breakdown of the age groups they are getting their support from. I'm presuming it is from older voters.

Gee Bag wrote: »
    That Fianna Fail have 22% support is mind boggling.

I'd like to see a breakdown of the age groups they are getting their support from. I'm presuming it is from older voters.

The rise in support is actually due to female voters shifting to FF, alongside a large jump in support between the 18 - 34 age group (support is at 26% there).
    Why isn't it a red c poll?

Why are we not seeing red c polls recently? Last one according to Red C's website was October 29th, 2012 which is a long time ago.

B&A have been doing political opinion polls for a few years now. RedC do one for the last Sunday of every month. We should have a RedC this day two weeks, so it will be interesting to see if the trend continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

raymon wrote: »
    This is a very sad state of affairs for Ireland that any person would vote for the party that bankrupted us and gave away our sovereignty.

What other option is there, in reality? You have FG, Labour or FF to vote for as a governing party. The others offer bugger all when you sit back from the sensationalist politicking and take a cold hard look at them. The fact that no other political movement can manage to harness the anger out there among voters, and turn that into political gain is just as bad as people switching back to FF. It shows how horribly unbalanced Irish politics is to the left and how short changed we the public are from the €90K plus expenses that our politicians "earn".

I posted that FF will be pretty close to FG in terms seats by the next general election, when people were celebrating the death of FF during the last election. The make-up of the next government will be very interesting. It will be some gathering of nonsense with FF or FG with what is left of Labour, a few Green party people who will probably get seats in place of Labour casualties, and the rest will be independents.

Before anyone posts it, neither FF nor FG will enter into government with SF. Not for another generation or two at least. That would lose them more votes than any austerity policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

COYW wrote: »
    What other option is there, in reality? You have FG, Labour or FF to vote for. The others offer bugger all when you sit back from the sensationalist politicking and take a cold hard look at them. The fact that no other political movement can manage to harness the anger out there among voters, and turn that into political gain is just as bad as people switching back to FF. It shows how horribly unbalanced Irish politics is to the left and how short changed we the public are from the €90K plus expenses that our politicians "earn".

I posted that FF will be pretty close to FG in terms seats by the next general election, when people were celebrating the death of FF during the last election. The make-up of the next Dail will be very interesting. It will be some gathering of nonsense with FF or FG with what is left of Labour, a few Green party people who will probably get seats in place of Labour casualties, and the rest will be independents.
    You are seriously suggesting that there will be no SF members of the next Dail, none?
    Much as I despise them even I dont see that happening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

COYW wrote: »
    What other option is there, in reality? You have FG, Labour or FF to vote for. The others offer bugger all when you sit back from the sensationalist politicking and take a cold hard look at them. The fact that no other political movement can manage to harness the anger out there among voters, and turn that into political gain is just as bad as people switching back to FF. It shows how horribly unbalanced Irish politics is to the left and how short changed we the public are from the €90K plus expenses that our politicians "earn".

I posted that FF will be pretty close to FG in terms seats by the next general election, when people were celebrating the death of FF during the last election. The make-up of the next Dail will be very interesting. It will be some gathering of nonsense with FF or FG with what is left of Labour, a few Green party people who will probably get seats in place of Labour casualties, and the rest will be independents.

I will just say, you mention the others have bugger all to offer, the main three parties you purpose also have bugger all to offer, they actually seem to be the kings of bugger all to offer,

but as you say the people do not help themselves, while it would be better for a one party rule, the things that are wrong at the moment might have a better chance of being righted (which I don't think will happen no matter who rules) if it is a mishmash, it might keep those with the majority on their toes.

Advertisement