Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Evil200km - 9th of June

• 22-05-2012 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

Few guys from the raid gang are (hopefully) going to do our own 200kms spin on the weekend w200 is on. The route is quite brutal taking more or less every lump around wicklow: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1278238

Meet at 7:45am, start at 8am sharp under the Dundrum bridge (Opposite Joe Daly's shop for anyone that doesnt know). The pace would be civilised but we can't overly wait for everyone as this is going to take us lots of hours, the route is really evil. Have pumps, tubes and whatever else you need to get through the day. The plan is to stop around the 100km mark for lunch in Laragh and then do another 100kms.

You have to be fairly fit to get over the whole route. Good thing is that because it loops around Wicklow you have many exit points all around the way if you feel you had enough.

So who's up for it?
    Evil_200.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, that's pretty epic. Someone took the Orwell route and decided to slot Slieve Mann and the Wicklow Gap in there. For the craic.

Thankfully I'll be doing the WW200 the next day.

Looks like it could be a good contender for the hardest 200 in the country. Might be worth running on a yearly basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

ME ME ME ME ME!!
    Thankfully ill be doing the wicklow 200 aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭pprendeville

don't know if I'd have enough in me for 200k but it sounds like fun and the possibility of exiting is a bonus. I think I might just head along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

NASTY :eek:

I would be up for a Boards Crawl Spin around that route sometime over the summer. Just not the day before the W200. :D

Gasco has a similar route that ends on Kilmashogue. Will see if I can dig it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

This looks epic! I'd be up for attempting this some time during the summer! June 9th is too soon for me unfortunately, just back on the bike properly now after a month of resting my knee!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

funny-gifs-nope.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

AstraMonti wrote: »
    The route is quite brutal taking more or less every lump around wicklow: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1201424

"Elevation: +4321m"

I don't know how accurate that is, but I've heard that 4000m in a day represents a sort of transition from normal-hard to crazy-hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

I'd have considered it, but the Roundwood GP is on that Saturday.

*you should turn left at 55.8km, turn right in Ashford, and climb back up to the junction at 59.4km for a few extra m climbing!

one of the raid days has over 4500 metres iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Lumen wrote: »
    "Elevation: +4321m"

I don't know how accurate that is, but I've heard that 4000m in a day represents a sort of transition from normal-hard to crazy-hard.

So I ll take it you are coming along?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

AstraMonti wrote: »
    So I ll take it you are coming along?

Maybe. I'd be bringing a compact, that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I am of the view that this route is so tough, that if I were to do it that I would risk finding the Raid underwhelming or too easy.

For that reason alone, I won't do this one ;-)

Lenny, if you do this and the WW200 back to back I will donate €50 to a charity of your choosing. Just some incentive.

@rok on, guess Ill have to do it now!! :)
    Sure Ill give it a go.

Oh come on ROK ON! I was betting that you ll be along on the sufferfest! Come along anyway, you can get ouf it when you feel like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Astra.
    I would do it, but I won't be in Dublin that w/e, and am unlikely to be in Dublin any w/e before the Raid other than this one coming up.

So if you want to do it this Saturday, well I have my good bike here at the minute and nothing in the diary.

You do know Mick Byrne 200 is this Sunday right? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

AstraMonti wrote:
    Few guys from the raid gang are (hopefully) going to do our own 200kms spin on the weekend w200 is on. The route is quite brutal taking more or less every lump around wicklow: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1201424

You are quite quite mad. I salute you!

Nice route though, as well as being mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Might do this instead of the WW200, it looks more epic, and comes without manky pasta!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Do ye mean to do it the day before, or the day of?

I can't do the w200 itself, so if it was another day I might do this...

The day before, sat 9th june.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭bbolger

Savage route, literally!

You should start a pool on the highest Strava suffer score :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

Wow that looks like toughest challenge ever! Would love to give it a go but would probably die a death early enough, but as you say I assume people could tag along for the first few hills anyways and then bail out? Don't suppose anyone's gonna go mark the turns in advance!? :D Some great hills in there I've never been over including that one at 138/139km and am I right in saying you come uphill to the junction at the bottom of the wall? Never been there. What sort of pace would you guys be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

I'm normally good with gadgets but have to ask a blonde question. If I wanted to try this later in year with "fitter legs" would I be able to download that route to an Edge 500 and would it relatively accurately navigate me with arrows? Never used that feature on it but I'm guessing it'd be needed for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

i wll probably tag along for at least a 100km anyway cant commit to 200km on saturday but maybe il be able to on day. Might get a lighter gear for the rear

btw theirs at least 215km on that route for as it doesnt end were it started.

@ gog - i would imagine that you should be able to save it as a map thingy, but im not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Nice route.
    Can't do it myself but I am looking forward to reading reports.
    I see this type of event becoming more and more sought after due to the flood of crowd friendly sportives out there. Might be interested in similar around Sept time.
    Fair play for putting this together and good luck with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Count me in, sure its only 200km :p

Riding this the weekend before for practice: http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?col=Rosedale-Chimney-Bank&qryMountainID=8699

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I'll be up for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

"Boards Evil200km" Heh! Heh! That's a great name for your sportive!

I'd love to jump in for that but I've a family celebration to attend on the 9th. So it'll be an evil hangover for me instead.

Best of luck with the Inaugural Evil! I'll be looking forward to the post mortem event reports too - sorry to have missed out on the suffering but glad to read about other people's. :D

• Advertisement

Just want to clarify that this is not an official spin of any sort, I just created this route on my own and everyone is on their own to survive it, no broomwagon, no mechanic and no organized food stop, we ll just eat everything in the hippy cafe. Also you won't get any medals at the end, you ll get a kudos though in Strava :D

Again everyone with good fitness is welcome to come along.

g0g you can put the course into your garmin no problem at all and it will guide you turn by turn.

Advertisement