Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

I admit it, I shed a tear on hearing that news

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

twinytwo wrote: »
    oh god no... my grandmother would provide better service at 9 and she is dead

I'd say your Granny did a bit of "servicing" in her time alright.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,053 ✭✭✭twinytwo

D_Red_Army wrote: »

:eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

D_Red_Army wrote: »

blakckid.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Right, so seeing as TOL is travelling (ie nailed down the no. 9 shirt), who are we shouting for in the knockout stages?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

tolosenc wrote: »
    Right, so seeing as TOL is travelling (ie nailed down the no. 9 shirt), who are we shouting for in the knockout stages?

Ah come on, I'm gonna cheer on TOL if he plays. Like I would any other player regardless if I wanted him selected or not.

For the record I don't think TOL should be on the plane at all but hopefully he'll at least regain some form and put his hand up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Relax, thomond. That post may need a "lol jk" at the end...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

tolosenc wrote: »

if ireland dont win it, id be up for a 6 nations teams.

if that means supporting england you can call me clive and make me some tea and scones.

france have a great record in the 6 nations but are hamstrung by their frenchness i.e. lievremont and their ability to be amazing or diabolical

i do not want under any circumtances australia or south africa to win it (that would give them 3 world cup wins if they did!!). new zealand in fairness deserve it on their tri nations record so i wouldnt be grudge them in any way. lets be honest they are usually the best team in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Nobody "deserves" the RWC on anything else but tournament results.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

maybe not, but nz have won 10 tri nations to sa's 3 and oz's 2.

thats some record.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

CatFromHue wrote: »

thats some record.

how many wc's though 1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,053 ✭✭✭twinytwo

if ireland dont win it, id be up for a 6 nations teams.

if that means supporting england you can call me clive and make me some tea and scones.

france have a great record in the 6 nations but are hamstrung by their frenchness i.e. lievremont and their ability to be amazing or diabolical

i do not want under any circumtances australia or south africa to win it (that would give them 3 world cup wins if they did!!). new zealand in fairness deserve it on their tri nations record so i wouldnt be grudge them in any way. lets be honest they are usually the best team in the world.

Im still amazed how he has managed to keep his job... i mean after the aus hammering i said to myself no way would the french people stand for his crap anymore... but alas he is still there. he must have dirt on someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,710 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Only 10 weeks away from Irelands first world cup game vs Usa on Sep 11th.

The match kicks off at 7.00am one for the early birds

thats some record.
    That has nothing to do with the RWC however. They are favourites to win every time and have only managed one.
    Lot of pressure on NZ to win this at home now. Like never before.

People should relax with the massive building-up of the Kiwis. As shown in the five previous tournaments, they're just human and can fall to pieces like anyone else. This is why Hansen will be in every press build-up moaning about refs, schedules, disciplinary etc. When Ted Henry does it, you know its getting to them. Pressure. They need this win badly. Crowds and revenue are down in NZ union and losing players following another RWC fluff-up will see more higher-paid roles in the six nations countries and Japan for their squads.

my point is in a game between nz and oz or sa in the knock out stages or final i would be up for nz. it was a response to a "who would you be supoorting other than ireland question". i would equally be up for a 6 nations team in the knock out stage / final. except for wales in their group games, i hope fiji and or samoa win there.

i would prefer if the world champions are actually the best side, not just in the day, but for at least a season or two before/after the competition.

my point is in a game between nz and oz or sa in the knock out stages or final i would be up for nz. it was a response to a "who would you be supoorting other than ireland question". i would equally be up for a 6 nations team in the knock out stage / final. except for wales in their group games, i hope fiji and or samoa win there.

i would prefer if the world champions are actually the best side, not just in the day, but for at least a season or two before/after the competition.

Its not an aggregated competition. The winning side is World Champion regardless of season outside and in my view, thats bang on.

If Ireland got knocked out, there isn't any one side I'd go for to win it (and I'm an Australian citizen). Its international rugby and we have one team. I don't go for that hemispherical convenient tribalism tosh meself.

JustinDee wrote: »
    I don't go for that hemispherical convenient tribalism tosh meself.

well la de da! I do.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

RONAN O'Gara has admitted he is now playing World Cup catch-up after tearing his calf during pre-season training.

The Ireland fly-half has not done much running since picking up the injury to his right leg on July 1, but is expecting to return as Ireland reconvene at Maynooth's Carton House for the second session in camp.

Although the injury should not affect his New Zealand chances, with 58 days to go before Ireland kick-off against the USA on September 11, O'Gara is determined not to rush the injury after Jerry Flannery had his season ruined by calf problems last year.

"I hurt myself on the last day in Carton House," he said. "I tore my calf running. I just pushed the body so hard in the first week that I got a bit of a twinge. I'm nearly back, but I haven't done much running for the last 10 days.

"I'm playing catch-up -- most definitely the lads are ahead of me. They will have had four heavy fitness sessions on me and the sessions look really hard, so I'll have to make that up. But I wouldn't give too much thought to something like that."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/calf-injury-leaves-ogara-playing-catchup-for-world-cup-2821183.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭part time punk

Not good news about ROG ... without wanting to get into a big debate about Paddy Wallace as it's been done to death already who would be next in line? Don't know enough about Humpreys or Keatley. Is there anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Doesn't really sound like that big a deal tbh.

ROG probably won't be first choice so I can't see four or five fitness sessions being the end of the world when he comes on with 20 minutes to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

keane2097 wrote: »

ROG probably won't be first choice so I can't see four or five fitness sessions being the end of the world when he comes on with 20 minutes to go?

I think the worry is that it doesnt heal properly and we are left with Paddy Wallace as the number 2 outhalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭part time punk

Also you probably only want your first choice team playing 2 or 3 of the group games so they're not wrecked come the knock out stages. ROGs experience and skills would be crucial e.g. in the game against Russia particularly if a lot of the team weren't first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

Also means he will miss a lot of the conditioning work done in pre season...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

crisco10 wrote: »

Also means he will miss a lot of the conditioning work done in pre season...

We need ROG, make no mistake.

This is sexton's first international knock out tournament bar the Churchill. He will need ROG alongside him.

Rest the **** out of that leg and get back in business ASAP ROG!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭vinny chase

We definitely need O'Gara in the squad heading into this World Cup. The fact that Paddy Wallace is the only real alternative is only one of the reasons. I've always felt O'Gara's experience is invaluable in a tight situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Bit of a strange one. Wonder who paid for that one, Carton House?

Good stuff out of Jamie at the urinal.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

Puma obviously!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Puma ad so they would have paid, Carton likely let them use venue for free..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Dur.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement