Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

km79 wrote: »
    Ya have to enjoy the good times. They don't last forever. Look at Galway ....

It's easier remember 2001 than 1951

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Ya have to enjoy the good times. They don't last forever. Look at Galway ....
    but ye had Sam for a yr we have had nothing but heart ace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

naughto wrote: »
    not on beating london ya clown on us winning the connaught final for the 3rd year in a row

so you will celebrate beating London for the 3 in a row. :P

becoming a bit clearer now why you usually s##t your pants when you see the M50 on All-Ireland final day.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

washman3 wrote: »

becoming a bit clearer now why you usually s##t your pants when you see the M50 on All-Ireland final day.;)
    its harly mayos fault that connaught so weak, it does not matter who we we beat in the final,you allways celebrate after a win
    cant see how we sh1te or pants on all ireland day we come up against stronger teams who are better organised than we are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Lol at the bitter Galway fans! Enjoy the draw tomorrow lads ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

If Limerick won a championship you would soon be celebrating, so pipe down ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Lol at the bitter Galway fans! Enjoy the draw tomorrow lads ;)

Big draw for them, the highlight of the year. Might make up for the 17 point massacre to Mayo.

Nice win for our minors too. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Once London get past their first game in Connacht the rest of their games have to be played in Connacht. Apparently it's Mayo choice on the venue when facing London in a final and they would hardly choose Salthill, Leitrim on the other hand a final against them would be played in Salthill or Hyde park when it's done up.

I know that all Londons games after the first match have to be played in Connacht.

But I really dont understand why Mayo were given the choice of home advantage for a final.

What is the logic behind neutral final venues for Sligo / Leitrim? To me. the same logic should be applied to London. And the final should be in Pearse. I am by no means a fan of Pearse Stadium at all. But I think in this circumstance, it would be the fairer option. If London drew with Mayo in the final, would the replay be in Pearse then????

If there is no agreement in place with London at the moment, then now is the time to put an agreement in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I know that all Londons games after the first match have to be played in Connacht.

But I really dont understand why Mayo were given the choice of home advantage for a final.

What is the logic behind neutral final venues for Sligo / Leitrim? To me. the same logic should be applied to London. And the final should be in Pearse. I am by no means a fan of Pearse Stadium at all. But I think in this circumstance, it would be the fairer option. If London drew with Mayo in the final, would the replay be in Pearse then????

If there is no agreement in place with London at the moment, then now is the time to put an agreement in place.

Holding it in McHale Park is the only hope of salvaging a decent crowd and a few quid for the Connacht Council for the final which is usually their big pay day every year. Would 5,000 turn up in Salthill? There might be 15,000 in Castlebar. I'd be surprised if the CC even bother trying to disguise that money is the real reason. And why should they?

Continually playing Connacht finals in neutral venues when one of the teams involved has a ground capable of holding the fixture is ludicrous and needs to stop. It takes a lot away from the day. Supporters of some teams won't like that opinion, but you can only take 'fairness' so far before it becomes stupidity. With Hyde Park now out of the picture it is time for all these neutral final agreements to be dispensed with.

Holding it in McHale Park is the only hope of salvaging a decent crowd and a few quid for the Connacht Council for the final which is usually their big pay day every year. Would 5,000 turn up in Salthill? There might be 15,000 in Castlebar. I'd be surprised if the CC even bother trying to disguise that money is the real reason. And why should they?

Continually playing Connacht finals in neutral venues when one of the teams involved has a ground capable of holding the fixture is ludicrous and needs to stop. It takes a lot away from the day. Supporters of some teams won't like that opinion, but you can only take 'fairness' so far before it becomes stupidity. With Hyde Park now out of the picture it is time for all these neutral final agreements to be dispensed with.

I'm sure Mr Prenty is there to ensure fairness prevails as usual!

• Advertisement

Will they really only get a crowd of 15k for this??? I was sure they would get 20-25k for the final. If they are only expecting a crowd that size, then any of the provinicial gounds could be used :confused:

Not sure I agree with your point about the neutral thing. For example, If Leitrim were playing Mayo in the connacht final 3 years in a row, I dont see why Mayo should get home advantage every year.

I cant remember Pearse ever hosting a neutral match either (the location in Connacht means it doesnt really happen) so I think this would have been a good opportunity to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Will they really only get a crowd of 15k for this??? I was sure they would get 20-25k for the final. If they are only expecting a crowd that size, then any of the provinicial gounds could be used :confused:

No grounds apart from Castlebar and Galway could hold such a crowd so i dont know what you're talking about
    Not sure I agree with your point about the neutral thing. For example, If Leitrim were playing Mayo in the connacht final 3 years in a row, I dont see why Mayo should get home advantage every year.

Do you pay attention at all? Leitrim would have the choice of venue evry second match
    I cant remember Pearse ever hosting a neutral match either (the location in Connacht means it doesnt really happen) so I think this would have been a good opportunity to do that.

are you seriously suggesting that the final be played in galway? If so you are completely away with the fairies

Mayo should offer to play the final in London. A goodwill gesture and a huge promotion for the game of football.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: And where in London would you suggest it be played?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

[Quote: washman3
    Mayo should offer to play the final in London. A goodwill gesture and a huge promotion for the game of football.

Will you pay for the flights of mayo fans ? It's the Connaught final. It will be played in Connaught ! Most of the London players families are based in Ireland too is imagine .

It can't be played in London, can't be played in the Hyde.

Options were Galway v McHale park, hardly makes sense to drag 10 or 15k people to Galway which will in all honesty offer zero advantage to London.
    Bigger venue, bigger chance of a large gate if held in McHale park, therefore a bigger pot for London GAA.
    Not very hard logic to figure out.

Will you pay for the flights of mayo fans ? It's the Connaught final. It will be played in Connaught ! Most of the London players families are based in Ireland too is imagine .

sorry you've lost me, why quote me?

sorry you've lost me, why quote me?

Sorry meant to quote Washman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Well a standard Connacht final crowd these days would be 20,000 to 25,000, the days of 30,000 to 35,000 seem to be gone for now. I think it would take Galway or Roscommon to come back to prominance to bring those sorts of crowds back. But those figures are usually brought about by a decent support from both competing counties - how many will realistically come to support London, maybe 1,000 or so? So that leaves Mayo supporters and Ros fans for the minor game to make up the rest. The other danger is that some Mayo followers might give it a miss as they mightn't think it will be much of a match, especially those who return from outside the county for games. It would take at least 18,000 Mayo fans to show up to get the crowd up to 25,000, I don't think that will happen.

Fair point - as someone else posted, each team taking turns to choose the home ground might be the answer to that one. I don't think it would be fair to drag everyone to Salthill three years in a row either if there were three successive Mayo v Leitrim finals.

[Quote: washman3

Why not play it in New York if pearse stadium is so hard to get in and out off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

London are either a part of the association and a part of the competition or they are not. Its ridiculous to have different rules for different teams. Situations like this (and Dublin playing every game at home) show the GAA up as the shambles they are. All grounds have a capacity, giving the most powerful lobby home advantage is just wrong. Rules for these things should be made in advance, not made up as the situations occur.

• Advertisement

I've no problem with it being played in Pearse Stadium or Dr Hyde Park if it was allowed. But it's ridiculous to suggest London

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

yop wrote: »
    It can't be played in London, can't be played in the Hyde.

Options were Galway v McHale park, hardly makes sense to drag 10 or 15k people to Galway which will in all honesty offer zero advantage to London.
    Bigger venue, bigger chance of a large gate if held in McHale park, therefore a bigger pot for London GAA.

Not an advantage, no. Just a huge disadvantage playing their first Connaught final in their opponent's home ground.

No grounds apart from Castlebar and Galway could hold such a crowd so i dont know what you're talking about

Hyde Pk is still capable of holding close to 19k which according to the figures being quoted (by other posters) is sufficient for a connacht final

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/dr-hyde-park-out-of-running-to-host-connacht-final-29352262.html

Do you pay attention at all? Leitrim would have the choice of venue evry second match

I was responding to another post who said that the neutral venue should be completely done away with. The poster suggested if one of the teams involved in the final had a stadium capable of holding it, then that is where it should be held. So that is giving home advantage automatically to the county with a bigger stadium. Thats what I was responding too....

are you seriously suggesting that the final be played in galway? If so you are completely away with the fairies

I dont see how / why it wasnt an option if it was to be a neutral venue. The only argument against it to me is that there would be less people attending the game. This is a good argument. But I dont think it is fair on London.
    London are either a part of the association and a part of the competition or they are not. Its ridiculous to have different rules for different teams.

Very true. London should not abide by different rules as the day comes when they actually win games and it leads to this situation. It is really terrible that the Connacht council did not have some agreement in place if London / New York ever got to a Connacht final.

How are gates proceeds divided? I always thought the 'home' team got more. But could be mistaken?

How are gates proceeds divided? I always thought the 'home' team got more. But could be mistaken?

The connacht council get the gate recipes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

The venue discussion is all academic now - it's been confirmed for 2pm on July 21st in McHale Park.
    http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/national-fixtures/gaa-football-all-ireland-senior-championship/connacht/

I actually think there will be a big crowd at this for the novelty element alone. Most London players will have family (immediate or otherwise) living in the country, and I imagine that many of those will travel to the game. I don't subscribe to the thinking that Mayo supporters won't turn up because the game itself might be a non event. Yes, I expect us to win, and win well, but the Mayo supporters will turn up in big numbers. Nobody will be more aware than James Horan as to what London can do when they're given the "no hope" tag by the bookies so I'm sure he will have the team focused for the job at hand. Personally I can't wait for the game

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

ultrapercy wrote: »
    London are either a part of the association and a part of the competition or they are not. Its ridiculous to have different rules for different teams. Situations like this (and Dublin playing every game at home) show the GAA up as the shambles they are. All grounds have a capacity, giving the most powerful lobby home advantage is just wrong. Rules for these things should be made in advance, not made up as the situations occur.

Dublin haven't played a senior football championship match in Parnell Park in years, why are you making stuff up??

It would be better than having to go to Galway for sure.

Its irrelevant anyway now, fixture in place. Going to be a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭scatman carruthers

Mayo should just rest the starting fifteen that played Roscommon and let the u21 players do the job for them. Let them head off to Tenerife for a week or so for a break and let them relax ahead of the quarter final in August bank Holiday weekend .

yop wrote: »
    It would be better than having to go to Galway for sure.

Its irrelevant anyway now, fixture in place. Going to be a great day.

Where can I buy a London flag?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

The lack of respect shown to London here is disgraceful.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement