Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micilín's Mucky Miles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Cycling

I hit my target of 120km for the week - cycled to work and back all 5 days. Same target for next week :)

I woke up to a flat tyre this morning because of a slow puncture. I pumped it up again at the local garage, cycled to the nearest bike shop to work (Mike's Bikes in Dún Laoghaire) and left it in for new tyres and tubes. They fitted these tyres for me and I got to cycle it back to the office at lunch time. They are as slick as they look in the photos - the bike is like a rocket again!

Core Work

I also hit my target of 3 core work sessions, but did no yoga due to to work. Next week's target - 3 core work sessions and 2 stretching sessions, plus 1 yoga session.

Running
    I think I may try out a few short runs next week as my foot and hamstring feel a lot better. It has been about 9 weeks since my hamstring flared up so I don't expect any speed at all. Also, I've gained about a stone :o:)

Cycling

130km of commuting in total.

Core work

Not as good as the previous week - only did it once. I did manage to get to the yoga class. There were a few different moves this week, a few in particular that felt good for stretching some of the hip muscles which I have had a little tightness in for years. Also, the hamstring stretches felt easier on my 'bad' leg, probably because I've been working on it for the past while and neglecting the good leg! Time to put that right!

Walking
    Did a 7km hike around Powerscourt on Saturday. The plantar fasciitis still feels sore, but nothing like around the time of the Art O'Neill :)

Running
    Wahay! I ran! It was only 4km of a few loops around the grass in Bushy Park on Sunday, but it felt good! No issues at all, apart from a less painful dull ache from the plantar fasciitis than before. I did lots of stretching afterwards and tend to keep it that way in future. The average pace wasn't too bad either, 5:38min/km that just about broke a sweat :)

Another 2 of these next week and I'll be delighted. I have no intention of pushing it until at least a good few weeks of slow steady jogging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Good man, welcome back to the running world.
    Get that PF sorted, it'll be a big issue for you if it keeps on going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Good work fella :)

So far this week:

Monday

Cycling: 30km

Attended a bike maintenance class in Rothar on Fade Street. Best €50 I ever spent on my bike! I fixed my gears problem myself (with a little guidance).

Tuesday

Cycling: 28km

A journey into town and out to Dún Laoghaire before work made up the extra distance.

I did a good bit of stretching in the evening.

Wednesday

Cycling: 24km

To and from work.

Running: 5km along parts of the Rathfarnham 5km route. My quads were sore, most likely residual soreness after Sunday's run. Not a cause for concern. I had no plantar fasciitis pain, and wasn't out of breath :)

Did a good bit of stretching afterwards.

Thursday

Cycling: 12km to work.

I have yoga again tonight. Going to Galway for the weekend so the plan is a hike on Saturday and another short run on Sunday.

I don't want to get carried away with my progress, but I would like to have a concrete goal to work towards, as well as the more subjective goal of returning to a state where I feel comfortable to push myself again.

I was out of action for about 10 weeks, so according to Jack Daniels my VDOT should now be between 38 and 42, whereas it was around 47 for my marathon.

Based on that I am going to follow JD's plan in Chapter 4:
    • 3 weeks of easy steady running @ 33% of my pre-setback weekly mileage, in other words something like 25km
    • 3 weeks @ 50%, ie 40km
    • 3 weeks @ 70%, ie 55km, introducing strides.
    • 3 weeks @ 85%, ie 70km, introducing VO2 Max.
    • 3 weeks @ 100%, ie 80km, introducing Lactate Threshold training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I was out of action for about 10 weeks, so according to Jack Daniels my VDOT should now be between 38 and 42, whereas it was around 47 for my marathon.

Based on that I am going to follow JD's plan in Chapter 4:
    • 3 weeks of easy steady running @ 33% of my pre-setback weekly mileage, in other words something like 25km
    • 3 weeks @ 50%, ie 40km
    • 3 weeks @ 70%, ie 55km, introducing strides.
    • 3 weeks @ 85%, ie 70km, introducing VO2 Max.
    • 3 weeks @ 100%, ie 80km, introducing Lactate Threshold training.
    Looks like a good plan in terms of building things back up again. My only thought would be why not introduce LT before VO2Max? It's less intense and would be better for you to go long when back at 100%.

belcarra wrote: »
    Looks like a good plan in terms of building things back up again. My only thought would be why not introduce LT before VO2Max? It's less intense and would be better for you to go long when back at 100%.

That's exactly what I thought, but that's what JD recommends :confused: Well, he recommends 'Repetitions', not specifically VO2 Max. But that's the same thing, right?!

That's exactly what I thought, but that's what JD recommends :confused: Well, he recommends 'Repetitions', not specifically VO2 Max. But that's the same thing, right?!

You can do reps of LT also...cruise intervals. They would be useful for getting back up to pace before doing longer tempo runs.

Forget JD and stick with JC!;)

belcarra wrote: »
    You can do reps of LT also...cruise intervals. They would be useful for getting back up to pace before doing longer tempo runs.

Forget JD and stick with JC!;)

That sounds interesting, I've heard of them before. It would be nice to try a new form of training too.

I do believe in the power of JC - but the last time I saw Him was in a vision on the night of my injury in Glencullen a few months back. He had some sort of halo around His head. We're still talking about the Mayoman with his headtorch on, yeah?

The main thing about LT training is to train at the correct level but not above it or it is wasted. You can accumulate this through a single 45 min tempo run or 2 x 20mins with a few mins recovery in between, or cruise intervals where you could do (2km with 400m recovery) x 3-5 reps.
    Because you are training at a lesser intensity than VO2Max you will get away with a relatively short (approx 20%) recovery period.
    If you find yourself absolutely shattered and struggling for effort/pace towards the end then it probably means you have been doing the session too fast and have started to accumulate lactic acid. Just ease off a touch next time out and rebuild from there.
    Apologies if this is stuff you already know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Did you read the chapters on repetition and interval training? I don't think he considers the reps to be a true VO2 max session as the short reps make it more of an anaerobic workout. It's main aim is to make you become more economical while running.

beeduybe wrote: »
    Did you read the chapters on repetition and interval training? I don't think he considers the reps to be a true VO2 max session as the short reps make it more of an anaerobic workout. It's main aim is to make you become more economical while running.

I'm still working my way around the book, but will take it into consideration when the time comes! Thanks!

Thursday

Cycling:17km in total

Yoga: another good class

Friday

Cycling: 12km to work

Weekly total:
    Running: 5km
    Cycling: 111km

Monday

Cycling: 12km commuting

Tuesday

Cycling: 24km commuting

Wednesday

Running: 6km

Thursday

Cycling: 28km commuting

Haven't done any stretching or core work in over a week :(.

Plan is a 6km run Friday morning and an 8km run Sunday evening, to bring me up to 20km for my first proper week back.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Plan is a 6km run Friday morning and an 8km run Sunday evening, to bring me up to 20km for my first proper week back.

Good man, easy does it!

Thursday

Yoga: Lots of work on the back and core.

Friday

Running: 6km easy at lunch time. My first time running in Dún Laoghaire in a long time :)

Saturday

Hiking: 8km around Three Rock/Fairy Castle.

Sunday

I thought I felt my hamstring a little bit tight during yesterday's hike, which was confirmed Sunday morning when I went to do the first of hamstring stretches in a week or two redface.png I actually didn't continue as it felt so tight.

I was also supposed to run today but I'm still stiff this evening. My first run of this week was on Wednesday, so technically I can count my week as Wednesday - Tuesday ;)

Now to catch up on some logs :)

How are the hamstrings now?

How are the hamstrings now?

For the most part I think it just turned out that I was doing the hamstring stretch too soon after waking up on Sunday, but it's definitely still not 100% now on Tuesday.

I'm a little confused about how my legs have been feeling in general in the past few weeks. The soreness I've felt in the days after each of my runs has been equivalent to the soreness after doing 20 milers a few months ago. I know a little soreness is to be expected after a 10-week lay-off, but it has taken nearly 3 days for me to recover from my 8km hike on Saturday :confused:

Also, I did something bad last week in my inpatience with getting an x-ray on my leg - I bought over-the-counter orthotics and have been wearing them in my office shoes and in my hiking boots on Saturday. It does seem to have a positive effect on my plantar fasciitis though :)

Monday

Cycling:
    29km commuting
    Skipped the run again - I still wasn't 100%.

Tuesday

I skipped the run again today as I just didn't want to go.

Wednesday

Running: 8km @ recovery pace. Finally I got out. It was drizzling all the way but it was nice drizzle! Listened to Rory Gallagher on the earphones :) That was me running down Rathfarnham Road playing air guitar :o

I did plenty of stretches afterwards too. Hamstring and plantar fasciitis not too bad at all.

Cycling: 24km commuting.

I still haven't heard anything from Cappagh Hospital yet so I rang them today - they'll ring me tomorrow :rolleyes:

Thursday

Cycling: 32.5km commuting

Yoga

Friday

Saturday

Running: 6km at recovery pace.

Yoga:2-hour class :)

Sunday
    Rest

Monday

Running: 7km at recovery pace. Glute is a bit sore again.

Cycling: Was supposed to cycle to Cappagh Hospital for my x-ray. Unfortunately the headset is completely fecked now. I think it may be slightly too complicated for me to replace myself. No cycling for at least a few days now. It seems to be the story of my life at the moment - run a bit > get injured > cycle a bit > break bike.

Got the x-ray anyway (€80). I have it on CD so I can view it myself :) It's strange the way it was set up - the radiographer asked which leg was suspected to be shorter and he put a 0.5cm wedge under it. Even with the wedge, it actually appears to me to be longer :confused: Anyway, it's up to my physio now :)

It's been over a month since my x-ray - the result is that there is no significant leg length discrepancy to warrant the injuries I have. Currently the left glute is the biggest problem. My hamstring, calf and plantar fasciitis feel a lot better, probably due to no running, lots of yoga and cycling (around 130km a week).

I have an appointment with my physio on Saturday to see what the craic is as it has been over four months since I was in training. I've been using The Stick on my glute for the past few days which really gets into the muscle more than The Grid would do. Unfortunately the pain doesn't really go away after any sort of myofascial release, so I'm beginning to think it could be my sciatic nerve and nothing musculoskeletal at all. That's my self-diagnosis anyway! This is exactly what halted my dad's marathon running career so I hope it's not the same.

• Advertisement

Best wishes MM - you put so much effort into last year.

I'm pretty confident it'll come right with a bit more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭PaulieC

MM I presume you have tried this ? http://www.losethebackpain.com/backpainvideos/simplesciaticastretch.html

I get some sciatic type pain and this sorts it out immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Hope you get well soon mate and we get back out there smashing PB's and getting up far too early in the morning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Speedy recovery MM.

Thanks for the words of encouragement :) They must have helped because the last time I felt pain in my glute was Wednesday morning which is a big change.

It might have been that I didn't give The Stick enough time - I have been using it a few times every night since Sunday. Or else that I started focusing more on my posture at work. Either way it has been a long time since I had 60+ hours without a pain in the ass.

I had a good week exercise-wise.

Monday
    Cycling: 24km to and from work.
    Yoga: Light stretching at home.

Tuesday

Wednesday
    Yoga: Light stretching again.

Thursday
    Cycling: 15.3km to work via Portobello. 38km home from work via Enniskerry and Glencree :D 2 minutes before I left work for the evening I said feck it and planned a nice route over the mountains. Could see the top of Djouce covered in snow and more remnants up around the Military Road.

53km for the day. (10km was downhill, does that still count?!)

Came home and had a Chinese take-away and a few beers :)

Friday
    Yoga: Light stretching.

Saturday
    Cycling to physio in Maynooth and back tomorrow morning, which will be53km again for the day. 53 must be my special number for the bike!

tl;dr version - I can run again.

Plantar Fasciitis - I no longer need to get this night-splint boot I was threatened with as the pain wasn't debilitating enough :) I wasn't told off for buying over-the-counter orthotics either. So, happy days! Instructions were to continue doing stretches and myofascial release on the foot.

Hamstring - No difference between the two hamstrings any more, but they're both weak. Instructions given to continue doing stretches, but a bit of strengthening work to do.

Glute - I had no pain for three days, he found pain within three seconds :mad: and continued for about a minute. I can still feel it 2 days later! He gave me some strengthening exercises to do at home on a Swiss ball.

Overall he's still not sure what's causing all the issues to be on the left side. He mentioned that it could be the sciatic nerve, or lower back weakness which I have felt before when ascending on the bike and running.

Interestingly he performed a 'spinal decompression' on me which is basically stretching the spine. Here's a more medieval version of the same procedure (from 1:05 onwards)

Monday

Tuesday

Running: 5.75km at lunchtime
    Running at lunchtime is handy, except there's no time or place to stretch properly afterwards. Will have to do a good bit of yoga tonight.

Hopefully I'll manage this distance a few times a week for the next while. Easy does it!

Monday

Tuesday

Cycling: 70km for the day
    12km to work.
    58km home from work via Sally Gap :D.

Twas a lovely evening so I took off towards Enniskerry, up the Old Long Hill road towards Roundwood and turned right to go up towards the Sally Gap. Took the Military Road back to Rathfarnham.

So many highlights on this route - Powerscourt Waterfall, Great Sugar Loaf, Djouce, Lough Tay, seeing the sunset from the Sally Gap, speeding down Glassamucky Mountain, the Chinese takeaway at the end :o. Garmin calculates I burned over 2,300 calories so I don't mind the Chinese so much ;)

Garmin Link

Running:
    5.75km at lunchtime
    Running at lunchtime is handy, except there's no time or place to stretch properly afterwards. Will have to do a good bit of yoga tonight.

Hopefully I'll manage this distance a few times a week for the next while. Easy does it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

that's a savage looking route for an after work jolly!

• Advertisement

The plan is to go as far as Glendalough some day after work! I'll need longer evenings and a bit more fitness for that.

Advertisement