Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Micilín's Mucky Miles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭irfrm

Distance|Current PB|Current VDOT|Goal PB
    5km|00:19:54 (23.09.12)|50|00:18:40
    5 miles|00:36:20 (15.09.12)||00:31:59
    10km|00:42:09 (13.10.12)|49|00:38:59
    10 miles|01:12:02 (15.09.12)||01:04:59
    Half Marathon|01:34:55 (15.09.12)|48|01:24:59
    Marathon|03:20:22 (29.10.12)|47|02:59:59

Nothing like setting goals, will be hoping to match these times in 2013 as well, with where you are and the training you going to be doing I can see you break these, would agree with menoscemo that 2:59 marathon will be the toughest to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Aim high and go for a top-20 finish! It'll be painful but worth it! 20th runner last year ran 34:05.

I'm not inclined to tie myself to a time so soon after DCM. I've had my quota of pain. Okay, I'll try to finish ahead of the first woman:).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Saturday

Running: 19.45km run/hike from Ballynultagh Gap to Ballinagee Bridge and back.
    The group was made up of myself, grahamor, grizzlynorris, ThisRegard and an IMRA runner. We had 3 competent navigators, one of which was a Human Compass, and 2 navigation students including myself.

Navigation

There's a nice trail from the carpark at Ballynultagh Gap up to just below the summit of Black Hill. As there was poor visibility yesterday, it was clear how difficult it can be to actually find the post at the summit without a compass. It wasn't an issue with yesterday's competent navigators.

Before hitting Ballinagee River, we wanted to find the flattish section just northeast of Billy Byrne's Gap. The visibility was still poor, so I think this was the reason we went slightly further than we wanted, but we took another bearing and headed south to find the river. Since there are so many streams that join to make the river, we couldn't be too sure which tributary we came across first, but could be confident of coming to the river by simply running the banks of the streams.

From here down to Ballinagee Wood, all we had to do was follow the tributaries and, eventually the river, all the way down Glenbride. Once at Ballinagee Wood, we wad to climb uphill by the fence of the Wood so that we could find the gate to the fireroad leading down to Ballinagee Bridge. The fireroad is a nice chance to turn off the concentration :)

Our route back again was just a matter of getting back to the cars and warm clothes. Most of us were a bit tired and cold so the journey back was more of a hike/jog than a proper run. Chocolate biscuit cake never tasted so good!

Gear
    I chose my gear well:
    • trail shoes & 1000 Mile socks (although a spare pair of those socks will be useless as they're very hard to put on when your feet are freezing cold and wet).
    • running tights
    • 2 baselayers and a large-hooded Gore-tex jacket.
    • ski gloves, neck gaiter and this excellent cap.
    My next purchases will be:
    • a plastic pocket for maps
    • a second headtorch
    • waterproof bottoms
    Runningwise, the route out was fine, but I was quite tired and lacking in energy on the way back. One day later and I'm sore all over, in particular my calf muscles and quads.

Garmin Link
    19.45km in 4hr 20 minutes :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

One day later and I'm sore all over, in particular my calf muscles and quads.

Wow - not too sure if I'm envious of this or delighted that I'm still 'recovering' from DCM!!

I read an article recently on Marathon recovery, where it ststed some things around the dangres of downhill running (if you aren't used to it) so soon after a marathon - specifically around the quads. But I'm sure with your mountain running background, this shouldn't be an issue?

My quads never really hurt me, even after the Dublin Mountain Plod where there was a good 6km+ of steep, fast downhill on tarmac. I reckon my quads are pretty strong as I have been cycling moderately hilly urban routes between 30km and 70km weekly since I was 14.

I did a hilly 19km or so run last night and the only point I walked was the steepest downhill as I wanted to conserve my joints so that I could do the same run again tonight. I could do what Ryan Hall does and get a lift from the top of the hill, but where's the fun in that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Was last night on the Art O'Neil course or is that tomorrow night ?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Was last night on the Art O'Neil course or is that tomorrow night ?

It's tomorrow night now. Was up Three Rock last night. You free tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Distance|Current PB|Current VDOT|Goal PB
    5km|00:19:54 (23.09.12)|50|00:18:40
    5 miles|00:36:20 (15.09.12)||00:31:59
    10km|00:42:09 (13.10.12)|49|00:38:59
    10 miles|01:12:02 (15.09.12)||01:04:59
    Half Marathon|01:34:55 (15.09.12)|48|01:24:59
    Marathon|03:20:22 (29.10.12)|47|02:59:59

I revised my goals too. They're all ambitious!

Those goals look like something I should be aiming for next year too. I might just go for a copy and paste :p

Those goals look like something I should be aiming for next year too. I might just go for a copy and paste :p

Do :)

Any races in mind for some of them? A head-to-head should work in both our favours!

Monday

Cycling: 29km to Dún Laoghaire, into town and back home. With the fewer hills on the way into town, I could notice the benefit of my hilly route home over the past few months.

Running: 18.81km in the evening darkness up to Three Rock, and then Fairy Castle and home. There really is nothing like a long, solid uphill climb of 10km with 483m of climbing. Why do enjoy that so much?!! Plenty of deer's eyes watching me, with a few hikers and MTBers out too.

I ran with the headtorch sitting on the cap I tried out on Saturday and it worked great. Although I was way too hot as it wasn't cold at all. I took it handy on the downhills so that I wouldn't be too stiff and sore the next morning. I love the hill profile :D

Garmin Link

Three_Rock.JPG

Tuesday

I had the first of four wisdom tooth extractions this evening, which meant swtictly no wunning. So I walked the 7km home.

• Advertisement

It's tomorrow night now. Was up Three Rock last night. You free tomorrow?

What are you planning, same as Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

We should start a 'beat Micilín's targets' club. I won't limit myself to 1 year though. The marathon would be more likely 2 years for me if ever.

Wednesday

Cycling: 24km to and from work.

Running: 10km Recce had to be cancelled :(

Thursday

Cycling: 34km to and from work and into town.

Running: Home late. I was so excited about having a day off on Friday that I spent the remainder of the evening planning a big run - in Galway or Dublin - and ended up being too tired to get up early enough :mad:

Saturday

Running: a slow miserable 28km.

I ran down from Spiddal to just before Bearna, and turned up towards Loch Inse, Seanadh Fhraochóg, Leitir Gungaid, Cnoc ar Easair, and back down the Moycullen Road to Spiddal. I ran most of this before, but recently work has begun on building a windfarm in Leitir Gungaid. I'm not too sure what this means for the (what I presume were) public access roads in the area. Either way, it's good to see natural resources being used well :)

The run itself was miserable, as I said, probably because it was 5 days since I last ran. Five times I nearly gave up and phoned for a lift, but I persevered (or was stubborn). I brought with me four 330ml bottles of water and two bananas - and consumed a total of 1 bottle and no bananas. The pace was slow so my legs don't feel too bad right now. I reckon I'll have a short run tomorrow and a longer run again on Monday evening.

Photo1.jpg

A nice pic of the typical Cois Fharraige bog and the hills in north Clare (Burren) in the distance.

Photo2.jpg

Monday

Running: 20km up Kilmashogue Lane to Three Rock, Fairy Castle and back home again. Legs feel good this morning. My running mojo is coming back :D

Tuesday

Cycling: 12km to work.

No running again as it's Tooth Extraction Tuesday. Fingers crossed, tomorrow's AON recce will go ahead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Monday

Running: 20km up Kilmashogue Lane to Three Rock, Fairy Castle and back home again. Legs feel good this morning. My running mojo is coming back :D

Tuesday

No running again as it's Tooth Extraction Tuesday. Fingers crossed, tomorrow's AON recce will go ahead :)

Nice run up to fairy castle, was it tricksy in the dark ?

Nice run up to fairy castle, was it tricksy in the dark ?

I'm a good bit slower on the downhill trails, even on the relatively good trails on the western side of Fairy Castle. Also, a few deer bolted across the fireroad about 30m ahead of me. so after that I found myself looking for the eyes and trying to concentrate on my footing at the same time.

I'd probably be a bit more relaxed if I had company, as I'm sure it would be at least 12 hours until anybody found me on my own with a head injury or broken ankle last night!

What should be my longest run before the Art O'Neill Ultra? The event is at least 33 miles, and I'm thinking that it would be a good idea to do a 25-mile run in my peak week (currently planned as the week starting 17th December).

Any ideas?

Wednesday

Running/Hiking: 10km recce of AON route from Ballynultagh Gap to Ballinagee Bridge.

4 of us met up for this point-to-point recce. Myself and ThisRegard had run the route two weeks ago, Nerraw had done the AON hybrid before, and a surfer from work started running four weeks ago and had never even seen the Wicklow Mountains before. All of us very apprehensive hanging around the carpark at Ballynultagh Gap. Weather was windy, but at least visibility was good and the temperature wasn't as bad as two weeks ago.

I knew what I was in for, so my goal for the night was to put into practice all I had learned about taking a bearing and navigation, and to enjoy myself!

Navigation
    The two kms up to the top of Black Hill was handy enough and we found the summit without much bother. The bearing I took at the summit was more or less the same as ThisRegard's, so I was happy out with my first ever bearing :D.

I'm not too sure exactly how it happened, but our next bearing after the summit brought us downhill for a good bit which meant that we had what felt like a longish uphill to Billy Byrne's Gap. Judging by our GPS tracks, the bearing was spot on for the most direct route, but I would be keen to find out if it would be worthwhile checking out a flatter route to the Gap.

It's actually easy enough finding Ballinagee River from Billy Byrne's Gap as there are a few tributaries that lead to it. From the corner of the River and Ballinagee Wood, we went uphill along the banks of Gowlan Brook to try and find the gate to the fireroad through the wood. It's not even 400m up to the gate, but it's a tough, swampy uphill that took about 5 minutes. Then an easy jog down the fireroad to where chocolate biscuit cake and hot chocolate awaited us.

Once I have my route planned for the even itself, I reckon I'll memorise the bearings and keep my map stowed away.

Gear
    All the same as last time, plus:
    • headtorch. I have problems keeping this on my head when I have my hood over my running cap. Will need to think about this.
    • high-viz jacket. This is a mandatory piece of kit and I just wanted to try it over my waterproof jacket. No issues.
    • map case. I had this tucked into my high-viz jacket and it was perfect. No problems at all.
    • waterproof trousers. They're the bomb! They cost a bomb too.
    The temperature was around 8 degrees, compared to 2 degrees two weeks ago. My feet were never cold, despite being immersed in water and mud a good few times.

A very enjoyable evening with good craic all the way with all our tumbles and falls.

Thursday

Cycling: 12km home from work into a headwind.

No running. I had the time for a good long run, but I have been really hungry and dehydrated the past few days so I figured having a good meal would be better for my body than a long run.

Must have been the late night mountaneous air as I was ravenous all day yesterday too, any idea of eating well went out the window and bought a big custard brioche yesterday to nibble on throughout the day.

Doing great young man, well done on the training. Just out of interest, what runners u wearing on the trails?

• Advertisement

Mizuno Wave Cabrakan 3. Amphibian King in Bray picked them out. I don't think the whole gait analysis thing is relevant to trail shoes - it's just a matter of picking shoes that fit and feel comfortable, along with a few personal preferences - toe protection and good grip.

How's the thigh these days? Any races picked out?

Friday

Running: 19km to and from Three Rock and Fairy Castle by headtorch. Unintentionally a few minutes faster than Monday's effort.

Sunday

Running: 18km to and from Three Rock and back, by headtorch. It was lashing rain when I left, so I put my raingear to good use. I temporarily fixed the headtorch over hood over cap idea, by taking off the hat. I was colder, but at least it stayed on.

Visibility got very difficult coming up to the wood between the Wicklow Way and the masts. I wasn't worried about losing my way, but about running into some deer. I literally couldn't see past 1 metre in front of me, so I stuck to the side of the fire road keeping my eye on the verge. My plan was to run up to Fairy Castle but I knocked that on the head.

My headtorch batteries died on the descent. I had spares but wanted to see how difficult it would be running without light. I never thought about the difficulty of replacing the batteries in a headtorch, when you've got no headtorch to light what you're doing! Maybe a small backup maglite would help.

I also thought about how difficult it would be to navigate open mountain in that kind of visibility. Scary!

Mizuno Wave Cabrakan 3. Amphibian King in Bray picked them out. I don't think the whole gait analysis thing is relevant to trail shoes - it's just a matter of picking shoes that fit and feel comfortable, along with a few personal preferences - toe protection and good grip.

How's the thigh these days? Any races picked out?

Damn thing took ages to go away. Only feeling normal this week.
    Had my 1st few decent runs in last few days, going to do the Jingle Bells 5k in Phoenix park this weekend, but not expecting anything major as no speed work done. Might even pace my 12 yr old around.
    Once I'm happy with my form, I'll start my log. I miss writing down these things.

Must get myself a pair of trail runners.

Monday

Tuesday

Cycling: 17km home from work and up to Taylor's Three Rock pub.

Running: 14km by headtorch. Met up with Belcarra, Jeawan and the Surfer at Taylor's and headed over to Kilmashogue Lane and up through the woods to Three Rock and Fairy Castle and back.

Cloudless skies, until we reached Fairy Castle, which was covered in cloud :confused: A very enjoyable descent down the Wicklow Way back towards Kilmashogue. I felt a lot more at ease as I wasn't on my own, so I upped the pace and made the most of it.

Trail running at night is great on my own, a lot more enjoyable with company! Second instalment is tomorrow night when Jeawan will guide us around Prince William's Seat and the other hills in Glencullen.

Wednesday

Cycling: 35km to and from work and Taylor's Three Rock and back.

Walking: 19km hike around Three Rock, Fairy Castle and Tibradden. I met up with a few friends who are doing the AON hike. I wasn't expecting much of a workout but the hike ended up lasting 4 hours in total. The pace was quite fast, mostly powerwalking, surprisingly I was very tired and sore by the end. Great craic anyway.

Thursday

Cycling: so far today 12km to work. I came off the bike at about 25km/hr :(. I should have been concentrating on the on-road, off-road, on-road bicycle lane, but a taxi was parked in the lane and I didn't see the kerb when I was pulling in after I went by him. Knee is very sore as it's skinned and bruised. I'm hoping it won't stop me from running tonight.

Thursday

Cycling: Another 14.5km to Dundrum for lift to Glencullen, and home afterwards, 26.5km for the day.

Running: Met up at Johnny Fox's with 5 other Boardsies for another hilly head-torch trail run. New surroundings, good quality runners and lovely calm weather and cloudless skies. It was an extremely enjoyable run. Jeawan was our tour guide for the evening and he brought us further down Glencullen for a tough climb up the Wicklow Way to other trails just below Prince William's Seat and into Co. Wicklow.

The return journey was slightly different but extremely enjoyable with plenty of fast downhill trail. Another climb from Glencullen River brought us back up to Ballybrack Road. Unfortunately disaster struck after about a mile into the flat - I felt a very sharp twinge in my hamstring that caused me to stop dead. I walked the last 1km back to Johnny Fox's.

Garmin Link

I thought and hoped the injury may have been from the bike accident earlier that morning. I took Friday off in the hope that I would be ready for doing the Waterford Half Marathon Saturday (not a major goal race). On the jog to my lift that morning I felt the twinge again, so I went down to Waterford, gave support to my cousin who beat my PB by a minute, and had time to think about my running for the last while. Booked physio for Monday and had to cancel my plans for the recce on Sunday.

Monday
    Lots of pain from the physio today. He actually hi-fived his assistant when he learned I broke a tooth from all the tooth grinding the last time I had a session with him :pac:

A week off running and hiking, lots of foam rolling and cross training, and a rehab session next Monday. Let's hope my left leg doesn't need amputation. No point in any updates here until then :(

Day 7 of no running. The men in white coats are coming for me ;)

75km done on the bike Wednesday to Friday so it's not too bad.

Physio tomorrow morning. Hopefully he'll let me run soon :)

Painful elbow-and-thumb work on my hamstring and calf, followed by some 'rehab', ie hamstring extensions and calf strengthening. Have been asked to run in 2 or 3 days and to report back. Good news as far as I can tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Saturday

Running: 19.45km run/hike from Ballynultagh Gap to Ballinagee Bridge and back.
    The group was made up of myself, grahamor, grizzlynorris, ThisRegard and an IMRA runner. We had 3 competent navigators, one of which was a Human Compass, and 2 navigation students including myself.

Is this route on public land ? Or if it is on private land, is permission required ?

• Advertisement

Is this route on public land ? Or if it is on private land, is permission required ?

Yep, the route we took is all public land so no permission required. There is some private land in the western side of Glenbride, mostly farmland by the road, but it's easily avoidable.

Advertisement