Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rudest celeb you've met?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 SwearImNotPaul

My brother met Dinny from Glenroe at Funderland back when he (my brother) was a kid and it was still on TV, and he told him and some other kids to F off and stop hassling him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 TheMorningLine

Miley byrne.. although ive heard he had a drink prolem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭LittleKitty

bill bailey, it was just dismissive. i was very disapointed. in fairness to him i did interupt his pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 TheMorningLine

Gerry Ryan but it goes without saying that he is a cnut

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

met the lead singer of Dexys Midnight Runners, Kevin Rowlands in a cafe in rathmines a few years ago he wasn't rude so much just not very talkative, i think he was annoyed i recognised him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Without a doubt Lars Ulrich from Metallica him and Jason Newstead and Kirk Hammet a few years ago and asked them to sign a t-shirt.He couldn't have been more arsey about and only did it with a big face on him.On the up side Jason came over to our table after with a bottle of red wine and drank it with us Legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

weiland79 wrote: »
    Without a doubt Lars Ulrich from Metallica him and Jason Newstead and Kirk Hammet a few years ago and asked them to sign a t-shirt.He couldn't have been more arsey about and only did it with a big face on him.On the up side Jason came over to our table after with a bottle of red wine and drank it with us Legend.

thats the thing.. jason was always the man of the people, would wait around after gigs and sign everyones stuff, whereas ulrich cares about his money and cocaine and **** all else

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dochara

Eddie Hobbs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

My brother met Dinny from Glenroe at Funderland back when he (my brother) was a kid and it was still on TV, and he told him and some other kids to F off and stop hassling him.

Hahahahaha. That story alone justifies this entire thread.
    Classic 'irascible old man'.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

dochara wrote: »
    Eddie Hobbs

Of the few people who I know have met him thsey have said the same thing.

Apparently he's not as nice as he comes across in TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Of the few people who I know have met him thsey have said the same thing.

Apparently he's not as nice as he comes across in TV

money problems;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭Rezident

Brian Kerr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Oh I've got a few rude ones.

Brian O Driscoll-met him after Leinster game in Kiely's about 8 years ago and was really stuck up when tried to talk to him,had a load of rugger huggers hanging out of him so he had no interest in talking to me!

Bono-I dont like him anyway but was at a Damien Dempsey gig in small pub over southside about 2 years ago and him and the edge came in,they blocked off a whole section and had security guards all around them and bono sat with glasses on and ignored people asking for his photo. (why go to a small pub like that when you know so many people are U2 fans and its a big thing for them to see him there).

Heard Ronan O Gara is quite rude from a few people but could be due to shyness.

That big wagon that used to be on Emmerdale playing Mandy Dingle. I used to like her character in the programme and seen her in The Palace on Camden st when I was about 18 and went up to talk to her thinking she'd be good laugh and about 10 of her mates(all gay men and very bitchy towards me and my friend) told me not to come near her and she just kept looking at me like I was dirt.

Met Elijah Wood outside Trocadero having a smoke and got a pic with him-very nice and friendly.

Pharrell Williams after a gig and was lovely guy,got photo with him and he was so sweet to me considering I was crying like an idiot!

When I was younger used to love boyzone and they lived relatively near to me so we visited all their houses in a few days when knew they were in country...everyone really nice except mikey graham,his parents were lovely and brought us into house to show us discs and that but when he came home he blanked us and wouldnt get photo with us or sign autographs.
    Seen him about month ago and he was dying for someone to notice him!

Bryan Mc Fadden meant to be pretty nice,whenever hes back in Dublin he goes to eat where the b/f works and he always says he's friendly,he seems to just like being back where he grew up where no one bats an eyelid at him(saying that hes not as well known as he used to be).

Met Paul Mc Grath and Liam Brady a good few times when was a kid,still have the pics,they were very nice to us back then.

Have a few more just cant think offhand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭snowy2008

awh really?! i met brian kerr in lillies ages ago and he seemed nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 deise red

@ker
    Alex Higgins snooker player horrible little git

John O shea is a lovely man gave me an autograph for my son on his way to airport and surprisingly slash from guns n roses absolute gent loves animals

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Not well known world wide but nonetheless...
    Drummer from Kharma45
    Plain rude that night.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

suzieb wrote: »
    Oh I've got a few rude ones.
    Brian O Driscoll
    Bono
    Ronan O Gara
    That big wagon that used to be on Emmerdale playing Mandy Dingle.
    Met Elijah Wood
    Pharrell Williams
    Boyzone
    Bryan Mc Fadden
    Paul Mc Grath and Liam Brady
    Have a few more just cant think offhand!

I think you're problem with stalking is the more prominent issue, rather than the rudeness of celebrities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

How come so many people have met Twink? She's hardly a real celebrity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Ronan Keating - Met him in Dublin airport and he was being rude to the kiddies who recognised him and wanted his autograph.

Mick McCarthy - Met him in RTE and he pushed past me and a few of my friends saying "get out of the way".

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭devondudley

work for a car hire firm at the airport so see a few of these "celebs"

worst by a mile are the people who aint even that famous

terry christian is a see u next tuesday of the highest order

other tossers would be steve cogan,brian dowling,vanessa feltz and jodie albert

colin farrell denis quaid roy keane and the old lady from murder she wrote are all really nice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Nightwish wrote: »
    Ronan Keating - Met him in Dublin airport and he was being rude to the kiddies who recognised him and wanted his autograph.

Mick McCarthy - Met him in RTE and he pushed past me and a few of my friends saying "get out of the way".

Oh no not Mick! :( He always seemed like a sound guy just from watching his interviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

Most of you won't know who he his, but i was personally told by Robb Flynn to "F*ck off" once.

work for a car hire firm at the airport so see a few of these "celebs"

Sounds like Jodi and Kian deserve each other. Always thought Quaid was kinda cool for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

bill bailey, it was just dismissive. i was very disapointed. in fairness to him i did interupt his pint.

That reminds me of a story I heard recently. He'd been asked on to a very well-known, long-running radio show in the UK, and he let the producers know that he had no interest in talking about comedy, all he wanted to talk about on air was the fact that he was a classically trained musician. A really precious a$$.

Can I just say, though, on the thread at large that a lot of the anecdotes seem to centre on randomers horsing up to famous people when they're in a restaurant/pub/nightclub and being surprised when they come away with a flea in their ear. How would you like it if you were out with your family or your mates and you had strangers approaching you, expecting you to perform?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bailey300

That Dave G from "Bell end 1" - Just Knobtastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I have to say, I've done a few jobs which put me in contact with celebrities under a bit of pressure.

Weirdly, they tend to be sounder the more famous they actually are - the only people who've ever been unusually obnoxious to me were almost all Irish "celebrities". They tend to suffer from a severely inflated sense of self importance and quite simply, no damn manners.

This can, as pointed out, work both ways. By and large, it's not cool to approach somebody on their downtime. Don't do it, don't expect a cuddly reception if you do. It's not fair to expect somebody to be "on" all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,034 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

This can, as pointed out, work both ways. By and large, it's not cool to approach somebody on their downtime. Don't do it, don't expect a cuddly reception if you do. It's not fair to expect somebody to be "on" all the time.

Have say thats fair point.

not everybody can be in good form 24/7.

I think no matter what celeb you are no matter how nice there bound be times when ya want just hide/run or whatever.

You wont please everybody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

That reminds me of a story I heard recently. He'd been asked on to a very well-known, long-running radio show in the UK, and he let the producers know that he had no interest in talking about comedy, all he wanted to talk about on air was the fact that he was a classically trained musician. A really precious a$$.

What's wrong with that? His orchestra shows are on at the moment, so there's no surprise that he wanted to talk about the classical musician side of himself.

Lisa Cannon was quite rude when I met her. Seemed quite stand offish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Have say thats fair point.

not everybody can be in good form 24/7.

I think no matter what celeb you are no matter how nice there bound be times when ya want just hide/run or whatever.

You wont please everybody

Yeah.

See, that's the thing. I'm fairly nice 80% of the time. The other 20% I'm a right arsehole altogether. When I am a bit stressed or upset or cranky or losing my precious patience, I have the luxury of doing so in relative obscurity.

If I were famous, on the other hand, the chances of there being somebody to hand to record my less glorious moments are vastly increased. They also make for a far better story than an "I met x. She was entirely normal!", so they get reported or related more.

You're far more likely to hear, or indeed to recall, an incident where somebody met x and she acted like a total tool. It doesn't matter if x spends most of her time rescuing tiny gay orphan kittens from housefires started by neo-nazis; she'll only be represented by what's reported.

I'm not saying anecdotal accounts are worthless - I think it's safe to say that the consensus on Tw*nk is bang on - but it's important to remember that each one is unique and subjective to the person relating it; not always representative of the bigger picture.

It's been known to happen that a musician, for instance, might develop a bad reputation based mainly on one or two stories by one or two people. Now, those people were probably entirely truthful in their descriptions of their unpleasant encounters from their points of view - but those encounters weren't at all representative of what the folks in question are really like. Or, indeed, the person recounting them could easily have gotten the wrong end of the stick altogether; musicians in particular tend to be held to account for the actions of their entourage or management because people stick the story to the band name rather than any individuals. No amount of "No, seriously, they're sound!" accounts afterwards will ever undo those other couple of stories once they're out there; people really do believe that there's no smoke without fire.

I'm guilty of it myself, just seems worth saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Nightwish wrote: »

I met Mick on my communion day,along with most of the then-team members. They were staying in the hotel I had my dinner in.

Have to say, Mick was lovely to us, he signed my prayerbook and posed for a pic, as did many of the team. The only one who was rude was Ansy Townsend, found out later that Roy Keane had just done a bunk that day,Townsend was under a lot of pressure that day so it's understandable that he'd be a bit off!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

I met Mick on my communion day,along with most of the then-team members. They were staying in the hotel I had my dinner in.

Have to say, Mick was lovely to us, he signed my prayerbook and posed for a pic, as did many of the team. The only one who was rude was Ansy Townsend, found out later that Roy Keane had just done a bunk that day,Townsend was under a lot of pressure that day so it's understandable that he'd be a bit off!!

Funny enough, I saw Mick McCarthy yesterday in the airport and a number of people were approaching him looking for autographs and he was quite obliging. My future father in law was involved in a horse sydicate a number of years back with him and said he was always a gent.

I met Andy Townsend at a Tolka Rovers charity event a number of years back and had a few pints with him, Johnny Giles and Aidan Cooney of TV3 fame and had a great night with them all. Ended up falling out of the place at 2 a.m or so. What Giles doesn't know about football doesn't bare thinking about. He is a football encyclopedia.

I believe 'celebs' like anyone are entitled to an off day.

Robbie Williams on the other hand (and I met him twice) seems to live a life of off days.....w@nker

Advertisement