Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Server

• 30-12-2014 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi there.

I am looking into making my house more smart and using the internet to do this obviously!

However I am wondering do I need to buy a server to do this. Is that my first starting point ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Depends on what you mean by "making my house more smart"? What kind of ideas have you got?

The answer to your question is "probably", but without any idea of what you want to do, it's hard to make any suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Dad11

My first project is to replace my kingshield homeheating switch with a smart heating switch that I can control remotely. The next objective is to be able to control lighting remotely also.

Hope this helps

Dad11

seamus wrote: »
    Depends on what you mean by "making my house more smart"? What kind of ideas have you got?

The answer to your question is "probably", but without any idea of what you want to do, it's hard to make any suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Check out the Raspberry Pi and Arduino, both have fantastic support for smart home/automation projects amongst thousands of other practical uses. I dont think you need a server for home automation. Possibly if you want to have media and storage options accessible from different areas of the home, but would be overkill for what you say your interested in imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

I think you need to differentiate between home automation and what you might need a server for.
    - Typically a home server is for serving up media - music and videos on your home network so that you can stream this to various TV's and audio devices around your home. TBH a NAS box does this - plenty of them out there from Lenovo, Netgear et al.
    - Home automation tend to use a proprietary controller based on whatever system/s you go for. Personally the future will be cloud control for all of these much like how Nest works for heating or http://lifx.co/partners/nest/ works for lights and integrates with Nest. Super easy to install and move at a later date and wire free.

Advertisement