Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 3

• 10-11-2012 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I am after buying a PS3 super slim and i know that it is a blue ray dvd player but i was wondering if anyone could tell me the followin...

if i download films of blue ray quality from uttorent, do they work if i save them onto the PS3.?? or is it only downloads of standard definition that work thorugh the ps3.???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

I am after buying a PS3 super slim and i know that it is a blue ray dvd player but i was wondering if anyone could tell me the followin...

if i download films of blue ray quality from uttorent, do they work if i save them onto the PS3.?? or is it only downloads of standard definition that work thorugh the ps3.???

For the time it will take to download a Blu-Ray and the space it would take up on your PS3 its probably not worth downloading Blu-Ray copies, SD will be good enough as the PS3 will upscale it anyway and you will see a difference over a standard dvd player
    (that's just my opinion anyway - others may have different opinions)

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DoctorOnCall

Thanks for the help..!

The PS3 i bought if 500gb and i have the avengers blue ray quality downloaded and it only takes up 2.5gb so i just taught the odd action movie would be worth downloading in the HD quality.

Do u know if the PS3 takes the Blue ray quality downloads.???

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

I downloaded 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Lord of the Rings in HD and played them on my PS3 and they looked excellent. Probably about 10% less quality from the blu-ray disc of LotR my friend has that i watched but they looked stunning anyway. PS3 will play them no bother!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DoctorOnCall

Klair88 wrote: »
    I downloaded 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Lord of the Rings in HD and played them on my PS3 and they looked excellent. Probably about 10% less quality from the blu-ray disc of LotR my friend has that i watched but they looked stunning anyway. PS3 will play them no bother!

I understand this but I was told that whatever format the blu ray downloads are in, the ps3 is not able to play them...! This must be wrong tho...??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I understand this but I was told that whatever format the blu ray downloads are in, the ps3 is not able to play them...! This must be wrong tho...??

You can download HD films and copy them onto the PS3 no bother, I put the LOTR EE Trilogy on it yesterday.

1. Download film
    2. Put on USB stick or external hard drive
    3. Connect to PS3
    4. Go to Video and find your USB
    5. Press triangle button and choose display all
    6. Find the film you want to copy, press triangle and choose copy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

What file type is it? Is it MKV or MP4?

MKVs do not work on the PS3. You will need to use a media server app on your PC to stream it to your PS3 for those to work.

MP4s should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Ive been downloading all my movies from YIFY Just google it, They are 1080p and 720p files encoded to make the files smaller.

Obviously they aren't full HD because they are re encoded but the picture is quite stunning to say the least well compared to avi and dvd rips, and they play on the ps3 as they are MP4

• Registered Users Posts: 12,473 ✭✭✭✭Varik

MKV and MP4 are just containers, the container can be compatible or incompatible but that does not make the content work or no work.

With MKV you can just change the container to VOB or any number of others and it'll work as long as the video/audio format is compatible with the PS3 in that container ( PS3 can use most but it only like certain codecs to be used on certain formats), this does not require any long or quality reducing transcoding.

Advertisement