Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fixed Taxi Fees in Ireland

• 07-08-2006 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

I was waiting for the Aircoach last Saturday morning on O'Connell Street. While I was waiting, some taxis pulled up and were offering to take people for 7 Euros each to the airport.

Is that legal? I tought every taxi journey within the metered area has to be on the meter.

It also looks a little bit dodgy, because as sson as the bus appeared, they were actually throwing people, who were already in the taxi, off and told them to take the bus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mdebets wrote:
    I was waiting for the Aircoach last Saturday morning on O'Connell Street. While I was waiting, some taxis pulled up and were offering to take people for 7 Euros each to the airport.

Is that legal? I tought every taxi journey within the metered area has to be on the meter.

It also looks a little bit dodgy, because as sson as the bus appeared, they were actually throwing people, who were already in the taxi, off and told them to take the bus.

Sounds very dodgy - had they roofsigns/numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,239 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The meter is a maximum fare. A fixed fare of 7 euros would only be valid if the metered fare was more than the 7 euros.
    they were actually throwing people, who were already in the taxi, off and told them to take the bus.
    Who was doing the throwing?

It might also be rather naughty to pick up taxi passengers at a bus stop.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

mdebets wrote:

Did these taxi drivers have Irish or foreign accents?

The reason I ask is that I have heard anecdotal evidence of "non-national" taxi drivers offering (fairly low) fixed fares around Dublin (eg. €10 fixed price from city centre to suburbs).
    Not something you would expect to see old school taxi drivers doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Sounds very dodgy - had they roofsigns/numbers?
    They had normall roofsigns.
    Samson wrote:
    Did these taxi drivers have Irish or foreign accents?
    No, they were Irish ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Possibly fake roof signs? Was it the Authur Daley taxi company? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd imagine they were already on they're way out to the airport to pick up a fare and decided to make a few quid on they're way there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Four in a car at 7 yoyos each? Nice charge to the airport from town.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

This is a regular occurance. Especially there on O'Connell St at opposite the taxi rank. It's just normal taxi drivers touting for business, nothing dodgy about them at all. I don't know if its strictly legal, but it can save you a couple of quid if there is a group willing to travel together. That said you lose the benefit of the AirCoach return fare price so its much of a muchness if you are planning taking the AirCoach back into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Happened to me while waiting for the aircoach at upper leeson street. Irish driver, plate and everything all looked OK.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Ap

Yeah, it's a common occurance when an Aircoach is late (i.e. regularly). Happened to me at least 3 times.

What annoys me though is that they get 6 people in a minibus taxi in town and then charge everyone 7 EUR at the airport. 42 EUR for town - airport is a nice little earner for a job that would normally make half as much. They should maybe be a little less greedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

There isn't anything illegal about this touting for a fare as a passenger would have agreed to this fare before hiring commenced, making it a private hire arrangement. Greasy perhaps to beg for fares, but it is not illegal to charge a fixed fare.

Hamndegger wrote:
    a private hire arrangement.
    Are taxis allowed private hire arrangements?

What I really hate is when you stick out your hand to stop the bus and a taxis driver thinks you are hailing him. Nearly cost me the last bus one night as the bus driver initially thought the taxi driver was picking me up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Say he takes 6 of yee at €7 a pop thats €42. I reckon the metered fare would be nowhere near €42 for 6 people from town to the airport.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

As a Taxi the driver can not agree a fare , it is a metered fare and can be discounted on arrival . The practice of charging per passenger is illegal .

This is what Hackneys do and they can not ply for trade on the street , they can only pick up pre-arranged fares .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Taxi drivers are scum. It's like that taxi sharing thing that went on a few years ago. Greeedy bastards were charging £6.50 (ye old pounds) each to go to clondalkin from town. 4 in a car meant 26 quid for a fare that would have cost about 8 punt at the time, but people didn't have much choice because there was so few taxis at the time. Deregulation showed the bastards.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Victor wrote:
    Are taxis allowed private hire arrangements?

Where a taxi hire commences in one taximeter area and finishes in an adjoining taximeter area, the taximeter must remain turned on.

• In the case of a taxi hiring which extends outside of a taximeter area, this could be regarded as private hire, and the manner of calculation of the fare should be agreed at the commencement of the hiring. Agreement to use the taximeter to boundary of the taximeter area, and agreed hire fee for the remainder of the journey is an option.

Taxi drivers are scum.

Be carefull who you are calling scum . Post reported !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 EB1

I find your description of Taxi Drivers as "Scum" and "Bastards" infuriating. My husband is a taxi driver and he is an honest, decent and hard working man just doing a job to provide for his family, pay mortgage, bills etc…

In doing this job he has been robbed, had a knife put to his throat, threatened with a dirty syringe, had people vomit, spit and urinate in his car. Who is the scum exactly? The hard working vast majority of taxi drivers just trying to make a living? I think not.

Your sweeping generalization shows you to be both ignorant and ill informed.

EB

Taxi drivers are scum.
    Thats a bit bigoted and against the charter. Banned for a week.
    EB1 wrote:
    TheBigLebowski…idiot
    Banned for abuse for a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭darkflower

Originally Posted by mdebets

..report these cases to the authorities. they need to be waken up.:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement