Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The junk we eat that passes for bread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Fields of Skibbereen stoneground wholemeal bread is wonderful. That bit dearer, but worth it. I wish I wasn't wheat intolerant and could eat it. I do think that a lot of people are now suffering ill health because of the modifications that have happened to wheatcrops over the past 50 years. I become so violently sick that I'm scared of trying spelt.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The reason I don't bake bread is because I have access to bread that is just better than anything I could make at home. If I didn't then I would bake bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The bread that I make in my bread machine is more than 'adequate' in my opinion. I can't really see what difference baking it in a normal oven would make apart from using more electricity that is.

I should also point out that cost is another factor .. I worked out a few years ago that an average large wholemeal (500g) loaf cost approx €0.45 to make, including the electricity (maybe it's more now with increased costs, but still a good amount cheaper than shop bought bread). OK, there's the initial cost of the machine, but after nearly six years of constant use, I reckon it's more than paid for itself already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

I've never had that problem myself tbh. I have a top of the range Panasonic breadmaker, and while it's cooking there is a very small amount of steam escaping from the back of the lid where there's a small vent, but there's never a hint of any steam when I open it at the end of the cooking period. It is quite a 'tall' machine though so maybe that helps avoid that problem as opposed to other machines, I don't know.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

It sounds as if you're not getting it out quickly enough, that happens to me if I set the timer overnight and then don't get up in time to take it out. Really you should end up with a crust a bit like bastable bread, not like an oven baked loaf and not to everyones liking.

Alun wrote: »
    The bread that I make in my bread machine is more than 'adequate' in my opinion. I can't really see what difference baking it in a normal oven would make apart from using more electricity that is.

Different crust, different shapes/sizes, plaits, rolls, pizzas etc. The electricity would be excessive if that's all the ovens on for, but when I remember to start in time, I'll throw a loaf into the oven after using it for something else.

I've had bread from bread machines made by a few different people and while nice it in no way compares to the bread made by a good professional baker with the proper oven. Still beats the hell out of any mass produced sliced pan, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Whats wrong with Brennans , todays best bread today , Im shocked

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Only buy O'Keeffe's or Cuthbert's if desparate. Even though people think the sliced pans here are crap, believe me they're a WHOLE lot better than the bread we have in the UK.

At least the bread keeps better.

I've had bread from bread machines made by a few different people and while nice it in no way compares to the bread made by a good professional baker with the proper oven. Still beats the hell out of any mass produced sliced pan, though.

I'd challenge you on the 'professional' baker notion, a friend of mines mammy makes bread in west cork that would win platinum medals at any expo but she would never claim to be a professional. There's no reason why any proficient amateur shouldn't match the highest standards attainable. I DO agree with the ideal of a proper oven though. An oven designed and stoked for bread specifically such as a brick oven or even a good range oven are always going to be superior to most domestic ovens and bread machines, but they are not always as practical for small efforts.

I also think it is important to maintain live traditions of baking bread or we lapse into reliance on the industrial suppliers, Our reading of Peig should have sounded the warning when she talked about the "shop bought bread" even though they all had perfectly good home made bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I don't want to take this thread offline anymore into a GM argument but I think your confusing GM crops with selective breeding which mankind has practiced for 1000s of years in one form or other with the domestication of animals and cross breeding of crops.
    i'm really not, but after re-reading the OP, you're right, this is a discussion for another thread. :)

on a more related note, would anyone recommend a decent breadmaker? the newer model of the panasonic one that has already been mentioned seems like a good deal to me.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-SD-2501WXC-Automatic-Breadmaker-Dispenser/dp/B004RTJWMW/ref=dp_ob_title_kitchen

a little pricer than most, but i imagine you get what you pay for and it seems to have all the right features and some more besides.

the one in the above link actually has a good chunk of great reviews and several people mention that "not all bread makers are created equal" and they've owned others in the past and that this one is top notch.

granted, it's a lot more expensive than most, but if it's the difference between it being a novelty item that gets used a few times and one that is going to get regular use for years to come, then it would b worth it imho.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there .. reliability and durability. Motors and drive belts seem to be the things that go on the cheaper models. Also agree on the features you might never use, although the 'raisin and nut' dispenser on mine (which can be used for just about anything actually ... olives, seeds, sun-dried tomatoes etc. ) is a very useful feature.

I have the Panasonic SD-253, which has been superseded many times since I bought it, but it was the top model at the time. I've had so many kitchen appliances and utensils in the past that I bought because I thought I couldn't afford the best, and lo and behold, they all broke down within a few years. Now I do my research and buy the best even if that means saving up for a bit longer.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I have never thought about getting a bread maker.
    What is the difference between one and an actual oven?

Beruthiel wrote: »
    It's a mixer / prover / kneader / oven all in one. Just throw in the ingredients, select the programme, hit GO and walk away. In anywhere between 2 and 6 hours, depending on the program, you've got freshly baked bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Beruthiel wrote: »

With a breadmaker, you put the ingredients in, and hit the start button and it does the kneading, rising and baking, with no effort from you. They also have timer option if you want fresh bread in the morning. You can make pizza dough and bread roll dough, which you take out and shape and bake itn he oven.

But, all the bread comes out the same shape.
    Some breadmaker recipes are not great and it can take a while to get good used to using it and get good bread that you like. I have never successfullyt make brown bread in mine.

Some people love them, some people buy them and they never get used.

I have one and I use it sometimes. I also have kenwood chef which kneads dough very well, so I make bread in the oven a lot too.

• Advertisement

This was originally a thread on the quality of bread commonly available in Ireland, as I understood it. It seems to have become a tread on the pros and cons of bread machines.
    Hijacking I say.!!!:eek:

I would politely request that the mods remove these posts to a new thread or to merge them with one of the several bread machine threads that already exist.

I would also urge people to post about their favourite bakeries and breads in their area so people will know where to source good bread (if they don't wish to bake their own).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Does anyone agree that the quality of many sliced pans has decreased in the last few years?

Its nearly all mush now IMO.

I usually get the Aldi 800g brown sliced pan, which I like, but recently got the Tesco equivalent- not as nice.

The modern mass produced "baking" process has been covered in detail elsewhere, eg;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chorleywood_bread_process

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-1298227/Tescos-misleading-claims-bread-just-tip-iceberg.html

Anyone recommend a good supermarket own brand bread or otherwise affordable alternative?
    For some unknown reason (to me, that is) sliced pans are completely and utterly different down here in south Wicklow, compared to the bread in Dublin.
    I don't buy sliced pan any more, and that muck which pretends to be French bread makes me feel rotten.
    The bread from Lidl's own bakery is very good indeed and reasonably priced.

i tend to go for wholemeal granary wherever i can get it. despite really liking good soft white bread, i know it's not good for me so i steer clear of it if at all possible.

the long term goal is going to be making my own, hence asking about breadmakers, which was already a good portion of the discussion.

i don't have one (yet), but looking at various models and their prices and reviews, i'm inclined to think that there *can* be a huge difference in the results from various different breadmakers. just looking at argos, their cheapest breadmaker is €42 whilst their most expensive is €229. i'm hopefully optimistic that paying 4 times as much for something that does essentially the same thing would yield significantly better results. :)

hopefully. :)

that panasonic one seems to be a good deal on amazon anyway and is very well reviewed, so i think i'll be going for that one when the time comes.

This was originally a thread on the quality of bread commonly available in Ireland, as I understood it. It seems to have become a tread on the pros and cons of bread machines.
    Hijacking I say.!!!:eek:

I would also urge people to post about their favourite bakeries and breads in their area so people will know where to source good bread (if they don't wish to bake their own).

That's the way of a good conversation, which I think this thread is. Cut another slice and put the kettle on ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I very rarely eat white bread...I imagine it being like soggy kitchen roll and the thought of that is yuck. I make home made brown when I can, though not as often these days. Usually a wholemeal sliced loaf most times, though I do prefer home made...isn't some stuff fake brown, it's essentially dyed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Is Mulligans(dublin brand) bread still on the go? They use to do a gluten free range too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

If you ever happen to be in Sligo go to a place called the French market they do the nicest bread ever. The only thing is it only stays fresh for 5 or 6 hours so you have to eat it quick enough.I like the bread they do in Dunnes stapletons crusty cob its called nice for a store bought loaf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Ireland is pretty good for bread, ye guys should go to Canada and try what passes for bread there:(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

cloptrop wrote: »
    Whats wrong with Brennans , todays best bread today , Im shocked

Aul Mr. Brennan can go and hang his you-know-whahs from The Five Lamps. :pac:

The Polish/Eastern European shops have some really lovely breads. I recently bought Georgian Bread (as in Georgia, former SSR) and Lithuanian sour dough bread (identical to German Roggenbrot, in appearance and taste). Both were fabulous and both were baked in Dublin.

Advertisement