Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Leap" into the unknown: The feedback thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Victor wrote: »
    What were peoples' experiences today?

Definitely not as slow, not perfect but much improved.

However there is a new cock up, LUAS cards with ID issued to employees, possibly civil servants or local government workers. These cards are not topped up in the traditional manner they run a negative balance and the employer settles with the NTA, and deducts the employees pay. Great idea.........but... when they are placed on the ticket machine they do not give the same menu they go to a new menu with information on the card. No ticket prices can be seen in this menu if however you press the button where the ticket price would be it issues a fare and a ticket for the full cash amount no leap card reduction and says ITS purse used.
    However most drivers on seeing this new menu not the normal leap card menu presume the card has no credit and are informing the passenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,540 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

cdebru wrote: »
    Definitely not as slow, not perfect but much improved.

However there is a new cock up, LUAS cards with ID issued to employees, possibly civil servants or local government workers. These cards are not topped up in the traditional manner they run a negative balance and the employer settles with the NTA, and deducts the employees pay. Great idea.........but... when they are placed on the ticket machine they do not give the same menu they go to a new menu with information on the card. No ticket prices can be seen in this menu if however you press the button where the ticket price would be it issues a fare and a ticket for the full cash amount no leap card reduction and says ITS purse used.
    However most drivers on seeing this new menu not the normal leap card menu presume the card has no credit and are informing the passenger.

This sounds like LEAP cards with period passes (such as weekly, monthly or annual passes) already loaded on them - if that's the case, then drivers should NOT be issuing a fare as the ticket is already paid for.

Surely those cards should be being validated on the machine on the right though? Please tell me that period pass holders don't have to go to the driver's machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Period passes may be validated on either drivers machine or the right side validator

There is a scenario where the pass holder may wish to use credit to pay for a companion

In that case, the driver should be shown a validate option only and after validate the cash menu will appear, a paper ticket will be issued to the companion(s)

lxflyer wrote: »
    This sounds like LEAP cards with period passes (such as weekly, monthly or annual passes) already loaded on them - if that's the case, then drivers should NOT be issuing a fare as the ticket is already paid for.

Surely those cards should be being validated on the machine on the right though? Please tell me that period pass holders don't have to go to the driver's machine?

Could be like I said there is zero communication in DB, no one has been told about these or what to do with them, when they are placed on the ticket machine it just goes into a menu thats it. But someone told me today that people have been getting off the bus as drivers have told them the leapcard has no credit as the normal leapcard menu does not appear.

Another complete **** up by DB management and the NTA.

Period passes may be validated on either drivers machine or the right side validator

There is a scenario where the pass holder may wish to use credit to pay for a companion

In that case, the driver should be shown a validate option only and after validate the cash menu will appear, a paper ticket will be issued to the companion(s)

No it is not a validate option it is a menu similar to the one the driver can enter to see if the card has credit, it just has details on the card like last time used etc. Oddly the ticket it is issuing is for the full cash fare not the leap card fare.

• Advertisement

https://www.leapcard.ie/en/_uploads/TaxSaver%20Leap%20Card%20Information.pdf

Found this, now if only they(DB) would inform the staff actually expected to deal with it, things might run a little smoother.

This is the next phase of the LEAP rollout - period passes being stored on the cards, with the facility to use the card as an e-purse if, for example, a rail only period pass is stored on the card, and the holder wishes to use it for travel on the bus.
    https://www.leapcard.ie/en/_uploads/TaxSaver Leap Card Information.pdf

Found this, now if only they(DB) would inform the staff actually expected to deal with it, things might run a little smoother.

I would bring that up with your depot - that is ludicrous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

This is the next phase of the LEAP rollout - period passes being stored on the cards, with the facility to use the card as an e-purse if, for example, a rail only period pass is stored on the card, and the holder wishes to use it for travel on the bus.

I would bring that up with your depot - that is ludicrous!!

Lx...This is NOT a Depot issue..This HAS to go direct to the TOP of the ITS pile.

Whilst some people are seeing an "improvement",my experiences yesterday and today are quite the reverse...In my case two seperate machines default into gibberish screen,with lines of disjointed text,fare buttons still functioning,but only by touch with no visible data on-screen.

The Leapcard time-to-live,from rest,remains well outside any 500 Ms target...

NO information available to Drivers at ALL...NOTHING,so I would imagine Leapcard Customers will get a similar treatment ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Lx...This is NOT a Depot issue..This HAS to go direct to the TOP of the ITS pile.

Whilst some people are seeing an "improvement",my experiences yesterday and today are quite the reverse...In my case two seperate machines default into gibberish screen,with lines of disjointed text,fare buttons still functioning,but only by touch with no visible data on-screen.

The Leapcard time-to-live,from rest,remains well outside any 500 Ms target...

NO information available to Drivers at ALL...NOTHING,so I would imagine Leapcard Customers will get a similar treatment ?

Alek - the specific issue of not telling drivers about period passes being loaded onto LEAP cards is a Dublin Bus issue - it is their responsibility to ensure that their staff are aware of the procedures.

The software patches regarding processing time are a separate issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Painfully slow coming out of sleep mode again this morning on the 29a, seems worse than any of the buses I was on yesterday, with a 6 or 7 second delay

• Advertisement

Alek - the specific issue of not telling drivers about period passes being loaded onto LEAP cards is a Dublin Bus issue - it is their responsibility to ensure that their staff are aware of the procedures.

The software patches regarding processing time are a separate issue.

'Fraid I disagree here....Leapcard is an NTA product...It is not something which DB suddenly bought into on a whim before finding it was not fit for purpose.

We are forever hearing about how the ITS is being introduced in a "soft" progressive and steady manner....therefore I am suggesting that the ITS principals have had enough time in the past 10 years to engineer all of the current "issues" out of the system.

Is it the case that the ITS people delivered a fully tested and proven software package to DB ?

Is it a case that the ITS people,aften 10 years,still needed to do "live testing" to further develop the Leapcard interface ?

I am suggesting that 10 years and €40+ Million most certainly should have ensured the former...or am I wildly optimistic ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭markpb

'Fraid I disagree here....Leapcard is an NTA product...It is not something which DB suddenly bought into on a whim before finding it was not fit for purpose.

[...]

Is it the case that the ITS people delivered a fully tested and proven software package to DB ?

I agree fully with your frustrations about Leap but a big chunk of the Leap software is written by a DB contractor (probably the manufacturer of the Wayfarer but I'm not sure), under instruction from DB and loaded onto DB ticket machines without any involvement of the NTA. Unless you've been deeply involved and can say for certain that the DB software is perfect and the Leap Scim is at fault, I don't think you can point the finger.

Equally, it is not up to HP or the NTA to train DB drivers about DB products on Leap or the operation of those products on a DB ticket machine. That is absolutely, 100% the job of the DB training college. If changes are being made and you're not being told, there's no one to blame but DB.

There is no doubt that this could have been handled an awful lot better by the RPA and later the NTA but pretending that DB are innocent bystanders is a grotesque version of the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Haven't used it on Dublin Bus in ages (since the epic slowdown issues) but I have used it a few times on Swords Express for single journeys. They allow you to purchase weekly tickets too.

They have those tablet-based ticket machines on the coaches now. Some drivers seemed a little uncertain of what they were doing but the process was still pretty speedy.

The balance is easy to read on the display - although it really doesn't seem much bigger than the display on the current Wayfarers on DB - it just seems to be in a better position. I can't recall if there was any audible beep or flashing but at least the balance is clearly visible so that's something.

markpb wrote: »
    I agree fully with your frustrations about Leap but a big chunk of the Leap software is written by a DB contractor (probably the manufacturer of the Wayfarer but I'm not sure), under instruction from DB and loaded onto DB ticket machines without any involvement of the NTA. Unless you've been deeply involved and can say for certain that the DB software is perfect and the Leap Scim is at fault, I don't think you can point the finger.

Equally, it is not up to HP or the NTA to train DB drivers about DB products on Leap or the operation of those products on a DB ticket machine. That is absolutely, 100% the job of the DB training college. If changes are being made and you're not being told, there's no one to blame but DB.

There is no doubt that this could have been handled an awful lot better by the RPA and later the NTA but pretending that DB are innocent bystanders is a grotesque version of the truth.

Just to be crystal on this....I'm not pretending anything of the sort here.

However I reserve the right to continue to press the issue of how this "Software Issue" has arisen at the 11th Hour and which appears to be spreading now into the cash fare menus also.

I really do hope that the NTA/BAC take a co-ordinated decision to firstly admit to these "issues" in Public,as currently no such admission has been delivered to its customers (Victor excepted !!!).

A major problem with Wayfarer memory shortage is simply just not acceptable at this juncture...the memory requirements of the Leapcard and the Memory capacity of the Wayfarer would have been known many years ago...so why are we now presented with this most basic of issues threatening the very success of the ITS itself ?

It appears to me that,at some point,a policy decision was taken NOT to insist upon or finance a BAC Ticket Machine replacement programme to run in tandem with Leapcards introduction,if so,that will have been a very shortsighted piece of mismanagement indeed,yet still very possible IMO.

Either way the whole thing is a shambles and a disgrace, how these cards could be put into action and given that they are completely different from the leapcard as used up to now and no one thought to mention it to the staff that would be dealing with it is truly shocking.

It shows the pure and utter incompetence of the people running DB, can you imagine any other company doing this ? In any other company someones head would roll for that kind of incompetence.

Just to be crystal on this....I'm not pretending anything of the sort here.

However I reserve the right to continue to press the issue of how this "Software Issue" has arisen at the 11th Hour and which appears to be spreading now into the cash fare menus also.

I really do hope that the NTA/BAC take a co-ordinated decision to firstly admit to these "issues" in Public,as currently no such admission has been delivered to its customers (Victor excepted !!!).

A major problem with Wayfarer memory shortage is simply just not acceptable at this juncture...the memory requirements of the Leapcard and the Memory capacity of the Wayfarer would have been known many years ago...so why are we now presented with this most basic of issues threatening the very success of the ITS itself ?

It appears to me that,at some point,a policy decision was taken NOT to insist upon or finance a BAC Ticket Machine replacement programme to run in tandem with Leapcards introduction,if so,that will have been a very shortsighted piece of mismanagement indeed,yet still very possible IMO.

I think you are at crossed purposes here, the software issue is a disaster I think everyone agrees on that, the specific issue after that was the introduction of the period paid leap card on Monday without as much as a word to the drivers faced with a card that acted completely differently when placed on the ticket machine.
    Such was the confusion that some passengers with a valid annual/monthly leapcard left the bus as the drivers presumed the menu they were seeing was telling them the card had no credit.

I think you are at crossed purposes here, the software issue is a disaster I think everyone agrees on that, the specific issue after that was the introduction of the period paid leap card on Monday without as much as a word to the drivers faced with a card that acted completely differently when placed on the ticket machine.
    Such was the confusion that some passengers with a valid annual/monthly leapcard left the bus as the drivers presumed the menu they were seeing was telling them the card had no credit.

This Period Pass glitch is a NEW issue,and additional to the pre-existing,and as yet unaddressed Leap-Lag following the earlier software "upgrade",apparently to accomodate capping.

What we now appear to have is a rolling programme of upgrades which have not been proofed at all and which,as you suggest,is further blackening Leapcards name...?

BTW a Staff Notice appeared in Depots today (Wed) so all is now fixed....:rolleyes:

PS...I'm not a software engineer,but have we any opinions on German sourced software/programmes,particularly from a point of view of compatibility-conflicts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

PS...I'm not a software engineer,but have we any opinions on German sourced software/programmes,particularly from a point of view of compatibility-conflicts ?
    There should be no compatibility issues - most of the software will be written in the pseudo-English computer language anyway.

Most of the problems I have experienced are either cultural (German programmers expect users to follow instructions) or failure to translate (or mistranslations) in content.

This Period Pass glitch is a NEW issue,and additional to the pre-existing,and as yet unaddressed Leap-Lag following the earlier software "upgrade",apparently to accomodate capping.

What we now appear to have is a rolling programme of upgrades which have not been proofed at all and which,as you suggest,is further blackening Leapcards name...?

BTW a Staff Notice appeared in Depots today (Wed) so all is now fixed....:rolleyes:

A notice in depots 3 days after the cards were presented for use, no wonder the company is in trouble, seriously it is just incompetence layered onto bad management. In this day and age there is still virtually zero communication between employees and any level of management, nevermind the management in charge of the ITS.
    The original glitch took months before they even acknowledged there was a problem, the staff knew it the customers certainly knew it but management were oblivious to it.

Any company with over 3200 staff in over 10 locations, with mobile staff that may not even enter a depot for weeks that thinks that putting a notice up is adequate communication ( ignoring the 3 days late) is clearly on a road to nowhere.
    A competent management would have implemented a company intranet, given employees a company email, and implemented a system that allowed for employee feedback and communication with those in management positions.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm a software engineer, Germans make for excellent programmers. Almost all programming around the world is done in English. Programming languages themselves are usually is Pseudo-English syntax. Comments, specs, documentation is usually written in English if they are working with international teams. Sometimes it might be German if the team only ever works together, but that sort of practise is generally discouraged.

As Victor points out, issues usually arise due to cultural differences and misunderstandings due to language.

I really think the problem here is the extremely low spec of the Wayfarer machine and the high requirements of Leap. I'd hate to be a programmer working on this, they most be pulling their hair out!

I'm certain the software engineers working on this are fully aware of the problems and are trying their best and communicating the issues up their management chain, but somewhere along the line someone is making the decision to just proceed with it as best they can.

Probably the reason is that the only real solution to this problem is to replace the wayfarer with a new machine, which leads me to think that one of three things is happening:

1) They (DB/NTA) can't afford to replace the wayfarer ticket machines (a false economy IMO as I'm sure the development costs are now far outstripping the cost of replacing the machines).

2) They do plan on replacing the wayfarer, but it will take time to do. Needs to be put out to tender, software for a new machine to be developed, drivers trained etc. So in the meantime they are just trying to get the wayfarer to work as best as possible until it is replaced.

3) Upper management in the NTA simply haven't heard of the issues from drivers and engineers. I don't this is the case, as I'm pretty certain they read these boards.

I hope it is point 2 and that eventually the wayfarer will be replaced. The fact that it seems the android tablet ticket machine seems to be rolling out increasingly to private operators (JJ Kavanagh, Wexford Bus and now we hear Swords Express) gives me hope that we will eventually see these machines on Dublin Bus too.

BTW Alek, just for your interest, here is what a simple Java programme looks like that prints "Hello World!" on the screen:
    /**
     * The HelloWorldApp class implements an application that
     * simply prints "Hello World!" to standard output.
     */
    class HelloWorldApp {
        public static void main(String[] args) {
            System.out.println("Hello World!"); // Display the string.
        }
    }

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »

I really think the problem here is the extremely low spec of the Wayfarer machine and the high requirements of Leap. I'd hate to be a programmer working on this, they most be pulling their hair out!

I'm certain the software engineers working on this are fully aware of the problems and are trying their best and communicating the issues up their management chain, but somewhere along the line someone is making the decision to just proceed with it as best they can.

Probably the reason is that the only real solution to this problem is to replace the wayfarer with a new machine, which leads me to think that one of three things is happening:

1) They (DB/NTA) can't afford to replace the wayfarer ticket machines (a false economy IMO as I'm sure the development costs are now far outstripping the cost of replacing the machines).

2) They do plan on replacing the wayfarer, but it will take time to do. Needs to be put out to tender, software for a new machine to be developed, drivers trained etc. So in the meantime they are just trying to get the wayfarer to work as best as possible until it is replaced.

3) Upper management in the NTA simply haven't heard of the issues from drivers and engineers. I don't this is the case, as I'm pretty certain they read these boards.

I hope it is point 2 and that eventually the wayfarer will be replaced. The fact that it seems the android tablet ticket machine seems to be rolling out increasingly to private operators (JJ Kavanagh, Wexford Bus and now we hear Swords Express) gives me hope that we will eventually see these machines on Dublin Bus too.

BTW Alek, just for your interest, here is what a simple Java programme looks like that prints "Hello World!" on the screen:
    /**
     * The HelloWorldApp class implements an application that
     * simply prints "Hello World!" to standard output.
     */
    class HelloWorldApp {
        public static void main(String[] args) {
            System.out.println("Hello World!"); // Display the string.
        }
    }

Thanks bk,valuable insight into the IT world.

I would fully concur with your points and your conclusions.

What I suspect is that those highly qualified Software Engineers are under the direction of persons whose grasp of the IT development world is far more limited.

I find it unbelievable that the ITS Project gets to this point (T+11 YEARS) before stumbling across a very basic flaw at the point-of-use.

Surely,before a single keystroke of code was written,the IT professional would have to know the specifications/limits of the devices he/she was writing it for ?

This,to me,smells of the usual suspects,all with their own wee parishes to look after in the bowels of Kildare Street,and the results of this protectivness upon the wider world outside.

Once again,I'll state my opinion that the ITS Project was/is TOP-LEVEL,and with the full administrative power of Government backing it up.

Ten years ago,the decisions required to seamlessly impliment an Integrated Ticketing Scheme were all sitting there for all to see,the ITS Implimentation Group were fully empowered to take the necessary steps to do this but decided to head off in a different direction,avoiding any nasty arguements or confrontation and favouring a fix-it-later approach.

It is this Fix-it-Later business which is now presenting us with what is,by any stretch of imagination,a VEREY undesirable feature of Leapcards public perception.

"Hello World!" is a very relevant string to send to the NTA/BAC right now ? :(

A notice in depots 3 days after the cards were presented for use, no wonder the company is in trouble, seriously it is just incompetence layered onto bad management. In this day and age there is still virtually zero communication between employees and any level of management, nevermind the management in charge of the ITS.
    The original glitch took months before they even acknowledged there was a problem, the staff knew it the customers certainly knew it but management were oblivious to it.

Any company with over 3200 staff in over 10 locations, with mobile staff that may not even enter a depot for weeks that thinks that putting a notice up is adequate communication ( ignoring the 3 days late) is clearly on a road to nowhere.
    A competent management would have implemented a company intranet, given employees a company email, and implemented a system that allowed for employee feedback and communication with those in management positions.

It's also noteworthy that the Staff Notice has no originating department,nor does it have any name or status of it's compiler...It makes reference to the introduction of new facilities on the LeapCard menu from September,then,as we have come to expect,informs us of a delay of approximately 10 days before the update is fully applied.

I am not a Software savvy person,nor a Computer guru,but can some of those familiar with the IT world offer an opinion as to whether this type of implimentation procedure is standard for this type of operation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's also noteworthy that the Staff Notice has no originating department,nor does it have any name or status of it's compiler...
    Not smart.
    informs us of a delay of approximately 10 days before the update is fully applied.
    Presumably they have only a few people to apply the change across 900 buses. There is more to it than the nightly download. They would have to get around all depots and chase down any buses that were off-site when they visited a particular depot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Where can you load online top up that isn't a shop?
    Been to a few shops now and they all allow cash only top-ups only. :(

I'm in the D4 area, will be going to college in DCU for a year, will be using Dublin Bus and won't be near any LUAS or rail places usually. (Live near a DART station though)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭markpb

Live near a DART station though

You answered your own question there :-) Select Dart as the topic collection point on the website and then I think you just need to put your card on the reader to collect it. Could be wrong, you might need to tag on and off again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I'm in the D4 area, will be going to college in DCU for a year, will be using Dublin Bus and won't be near any LUAS or rail places usually. (Live near a DART station though)

I would have though cash only meant no credit cards or debit cards. You should still be able to pick up top ups at any payzone outlet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I've heard a bit of this. Any payzone outlet setup for Leap Card, is a pickup point, for when you purchase online and select Payzone as where you want to get it. You can complain to leap card's customer care line about it if a shop refuses to allow you to collect it.
    You answered your own question there :-) Select Dart as the topic collection point on the website and then I think you just need to put your card on the reader to collect it. Could be wrong, you might need to tag on and off again.

It sounds like they already bought the online topup though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I've heard a bit of this. Any payzone outlet setup for Leap Card, is a pickup point, for when you purchase online and select Payzone as where you want to get it. You can complain to leap card's customer care line about it if a shop refuses to allow you to collect it.

It sounds like they already bought the online topup though.

Are payzone shops not allowing leap card pick-ups now unless the credit is bought in the shop?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Are payzone shops not allowing leap card pick-ups now unless the credit is bought in the shop?

I've heard from a few people I know, of instances where people went to pick up and the shop tried to load extra credit to sell'em.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I've heard from a few people I know, of instances where people went to pick up and the shop tried to load extra credit to sell'em.

Things like that and the whole lack of information on how it works for both passengers and transport staff need to be addressed asap or people will just stop using their leap cards

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement