Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dreamer of the year (Arcade Edition)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,413 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

keithgeo wrote: »
    i was looking at that yesterday and the guy actually turned down 130 quid!! madness!

I cringe whenever I see that! It happen quite a bit - guys turning down offers far exceeding what the item is worth or they'd ever get on the likes of ebay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm not sure whether this ad is satirical or not: http://www.adverts.ie/playstation/bear-grylls/1399974
    One of the best games I have ever played
    I was told by people in game stop that Ireland will never have this game as we are not advanced enough for it ha it's an amazing game so cool eating bugs fighting bears ha

Here's some gameplay. Check out the crocodile fight a minute and a half in. Intense ****.

Master of the Universe

Wow. Totally redefines QTE.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If you squint, the thrusting figure does actually look sort of like Bear Grylls in a PS1 sort of way.

However, that neon blue texture at the end in no way resembles any known H2O like substance, living or dead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Do you get to drink your own piss in it though? That would be a key feature for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭ahyeahok

keithgeo wrote: »
    i was looking at that yesterday and the guy actually turned down 130 quid!! madness!

Not saying that this is the case in this instance but I've seen on adverts a few times where a seller has a 60euro item up for 200euro. And then a newly registered user will offer 140, obviously the seller's duplicate account. But i guess shill bidding is everywhere, have seen it a lot on ebay lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

EnterNow wrote: »
    The uber rare plantation 2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Is it a cotton plantation?
    Plantation of Ulster?
    Tell me please!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

But most of the pixels aren't dead.

Just a brief follow-up.

Videogames Plus are advertising Bear Grylls: Man vs Wild for a mere $19.99!

This is a limited offer. Don't all jump at once!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That GB has a nicely scratched screen adding a distinct character and raising the price through the roof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Absolutely ridiculous prices for everything that guy is selling. €130 for a first gen Apple TV? €1000 for a 2009 iMac?

Yesterday I bought a timer for my Nikon DSLR. Hmm, maybe I'll keep it for a year and then sell it, used, for exactly the same amount I bought it for. No wait, I think someone might just be stupid enough for me to get away with slapping on a bit of a profit.

Honest to God, some people really need to cop on.

I propose the government bring in new measures that include:

1. Public flogging of anyone with the IQ of a bubble in a Malteser.
    2. Beheading all skangers and people who try to make a profit off of everything they sell on adverts.ie (this includes absolute ****ing idiots who try and sell their old socks for €15 or something absolutely ridiculous along those lines). Then kick their braindead skulls in to the nearest river.
    3. Public castration and/or genital mutilation whenever the word 'rare' is used out of context/inappropriately.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I propose the government bring in new measures that include:
    3. Public castration and/or genital mutilation whenever the word 'rare' is used out of context/inappropriately.

I think there should just be a blanket ban on claiming anything as rare. Even if the item for sale is rare it is then it just turns up in a search with 99 other thinks that are as common as muck and overpriced. So what's the advantage of ever calling anything as rare?

Hell, let adverts.ie take advantage of it maybe. Want to sell something with the word "rare" in the description? Sure! But it'll cost you €10 and the listing ends in 7 days time. But don't worry, since its so valuable that's a steal, right? ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,803 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The worst thing is that people are going to see these ridiculous prices and think it's the norm even if they haven't shifted in months. I doubt I'll be getting bargains on adverts anymore like a Dreamcast and loads of games for 50. It's a joke now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

People think they are sitting on a gold mine. I have to laugh at the prices I see old Amstrad computers going for. Some commodore 64's going for ridiculous money to.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

mondeo wrote: »
    People think they are sitting on a gold mine. I have to laugh at the prices I see old Amstrad computers going for. Some commodore 64's going for ridiculous money to.
    They tend to not sell much though.
    Seller aquires c64 , sees inflated price in adverts /ebay (as half the f@&kers wont ship to ireland , the guys that do can be pricey) , puts c64 up for 80-100. Gets a rake a rake of " swap for my ads? / Offer 10/ split/ free post to ballyhaunis?" leaves ad up as they reckon that sale is Just around the corner.some one eles sees price and thinks its the norm, and the cycle continues...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

I know it's in the totally wrong forum/site but seeing as how fcuking adverts won't let me signup/login to make an offer, i'm putting it out here.
    Anyone got a psp they no longer require?not fussy on the model so long as its fully functional and has the charger and not silly money(in Dublin)

Ps mods,I know I shouldn't be really posting this here but your sister site,is kack can't sign up/login to make an offer,if anyone here happens to be the guy that has the psp going in dundrum pm me please,cheers.

Was in Rage today and over heard some random girl talking about how Super Mario World was going for 200 euros on ebay. Same girl had to ask if Super NES games would fit into an N64 and had to ask the guy she was with what the NES cartridges were (which he replied Super Nintendo). I think the tales of super rare games like stadium sports selling for a couple of grand on ebay are filtering down to the ignorant masses who think that the common games they are sitting on are worth a fortune.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I take it you are now trying to figure out how best to dispose of their bodies?

I knew the 25 kg of lime would come in handy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I knew the 25 kg of lime would come in handy.
    I have some RARE L@@K!!! lime for sale if you need more..
    It's pricey because its a collectors item and rare.
    Also its rare.

Dr Bob wrote: »
    I have some RARE L@@K!!! lime for sale if you need more..
    It's pricey because its a collectors item and rare.
    Also its rare.

If it's not VGA graded then I'm not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Was in Rage today and over heard some random girl talking about how Super Mario World was going for 200 euros on ebay. Same girl had to ask if Super NES games would fit into an N64 and had to ask the guy she was with what the NES cartridges were (which he replied Super Nintendo). I think the tales of super rare games like stadium sports selling for a couple of grand on ebay are filtering down to the ignorant masses who think that the common games they are sitting on are worth a fortune.
    PlayStation Generation:
    They haven't a fukken clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    PlayStation Generation:
    They haven't a fukken clue.

Era leave them off! :p

If we keep hatin' on them the poor critters will get pushed back to modern games and will never experience the love of retro!

I wouldn't see people like that as "inferior" just because they're not as knowledgeable as I am on retro games,
    I'd have a much more welcoming attitude for newbies and I'd like to share what I know with them.

You know I'd really love to get involved in that exposition thingy in October.

TLDR...........SRS POST IS SRS...........etc... whatever! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

waveform wrote: »
    Era leave them off! :p

If we keep hatin' on them the poor critters will get pushed back to modern games and will never experience the love of retro!

I wouldn't see people like that as "inferior" just because they're not as knowledgeable as I am on retro games,
    I'd have a much more welcoming attitude for newbies and I'd like to share what I know with them.

You know I'd really love to get involved in that exposition thingy in October.

TLDR...........SRS POST IS SRS...........etc... whatever! :p

The problem is, most 'modern gamers' would be the ones doing the hating ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

EnterNow wrote: »
    The problem is, most 'modern gamers' would be the ones doing the hating ;)

Well that is true too, but i was thinking more along the lines of people like the girl Retrogamer mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

OK, that sounds pretty ditzy all right. But who knows, maybe she was just as shocked by a VGA rated auction price as anyone whoever set foot in the DreamerOTY thread.

And Nintendo have done more backwards compatibility that any maybe any other console manufacturer (what with the GB/GBA/DSs).

Y'know what Retr0? I reckon she could be a regular lurker on the forum here and just got a bit tongue-tied asking and starstruck when she saw you in RAGE dressed up like Lady Gaga at Wrestlemania. :pac:

• Advertisement

Imagine never playing retro consoles.
    Imagine only having played the PS2 onwards.
    You are out in town.
    You stumble across RAGE on your travels.

In you go, and are greeted, on one side, by acres of Vinyl records and on the other by.... well by stacks of what look like games, they can't be, they aren't in DVD boxes, something up here...

The cases and carts assure you they are indeed games, with familiar names cropping up here and there, but the formats are completely unfamiliar to you, N64, Snes, Megadrive?

So, you ask the guy behind the counter for assistance, trying to appear knowledgeable by dropping in a random fact on Super Mario World , feeling like a tool doing it.
    Asking about the N64, are Snes games going to work in it.....

A young person looking for an introduction to retrogaming, trying to ignore the guy dressed as a Japanese schoolgirl who was giggling through the entire conversation, what was his problem....

Advertisement