Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Publicizing of arrests and court cases

• 31-12-2013 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Somebody I know was arrested for a public order offence last weekend. She is worried that it will be on the paper, when it comes to court.

can anyone explain to me who decides if the local district papers get to make a crime public, the guards? is it that the guards send the local paper the information for money or something?

I need a general outline of what happens publicity wise from here. thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭brian_t

Courts are open to the public including newspaper journalists so the crime is effectively made public at that point.

Journalists particularly from local papers usually attend all court sittings and are free to report on all the cases that are heard.

I guess that it is the newspapers editor who ultimately decides which of the cases gets into their paper.

Unless your friend is a major celebrity, I think you can assume that the Guards wont get paid for any information on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

As Brian said, local newspapers send a journalist to the courts.
    Your friends case may be written up depending on what else is happening that week. Depending on the particulars of the case, it may get a large spread or a small mention in a side column. Nothing or very little she can do as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Glined

Thanks guys for that information. I got exactly what I needed.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Glined wrote: »
    Somebody I know was arrested for a public order offence last weekend. She is worried that it will be on the paper, when it comes to court.

It hasn't gone anywhere near court yet.

She should be more concerned about the possibility of getting a conviction. If she cannot reach an understanding with Gardai, she may have to get a solicitor, if it goes to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Glined

It hasn't gone anywhere near court yet.

She should be more concerned about the possibility of getting a conviction. If she cannot reach an understanding with Gardai, she may have to get a solicitor, if it goes to court.

Okay, and if she cannot afford one, can the state pay for it? I have no clue about this at all. What is the correct procedure for getting a solicitor?

regards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Okay, and if she cannot afford one, can the state pay for it? I have no clue about this at all. What is the correct procedure for getting a solicitor?

regards.

Legal Aid may be available depending on all the facts. Google search solicitors in the area and ring to make an appointment, or go to local district court when criminal cases are on and just approach a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭brian_t

The Liffey Champion rarely seems to miss a DC sitting.

Everything gets reported even down to a list of speeding offenders.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

can anyone explain to me who decides if the local district papers get to make a crime public, the guards? is it that the guards send the local paper the information for money or something?

I need a general outline of what happens publicity wise from here. thanks.

Never mind the publicity. If this lady has any sense she will go and have a chat with the Garda, explain her behaviour on the night. The Garda may decide that an adult caution might suffice and ask his supervisor to ok it or even just let it lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

regards.

I assume if it's public order she had a few drinks. If she can afford to get to the point of getting done for public order offences, she can afford a solicitor. Either-way (legal aid or not) don't sweep this under the carpet deal with this, it can have serious repercussions later in life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement