Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Wire

Options
  • 02-04-2013 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I just finished watching all 5 seasons of The Wire. Started watching it last September and just finished. I tried to watch an episode of 2 every Sunday.I felt the need to do so as I lived in Baltimore 2 years ago and as a result became obsessed with the show. I lived just up from South Stricker Street in West Baltimore and as the season's progressed I noticed some familiar filming locations. I had never heard of the wire before I moved to Maryland. I have to say there is rough parts but once you get down to the harbour its beautiful and PLENTY of Irish pubs :-)
    It took a while to get into the show. I really enjoyed season 3 onwards.
    I really enjoyed the character of Omar little. It was great when he was shown everybody would shout "Omar's comin yo". Also it was great to see Aidan Gillen getting such a huge part as mayor Tommy Carcetti.
    What did you guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

con1421 wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I just finished watching all 5 seasons of The Wire. Started watching it last September and just finished. I tried to watch an episode of 2 every Sunday.I felt the need to do so as I lived in Baltimore 2 years ago and as a result became obsessed with the show. I lived just up from South Stricker Street in West Baltimore and as the season's progressed I noticed some familiar filming locations. I had never heard of the wire before I moved to Maryland. I have to say there is rough parts but once you get down to the harbour its beautiful and PLENTY of Irish pubs :-)
    It took a while to get into the show. I really enjoyed season 3 onwards.
    I really enjoyed the character of Omar little. It was great when he was shown everybody would shout "Omar's comin yo". Also it was great to see Aidan Gillen getting such a huge part as mayor Tommy Carcetti.
    What did you guys think?

I loved the wire but found season 1 and 2 very slow to begin with. There was episodes whrre nothing happened. After series 3 i thought it was too similar to 1 and got a little bored and stopped watching it. A few months later i started on season 4 and got hooked again. Season 5 was probably my favourite due to jimmy being such a d1ck with what he was upto. I laughed a lot with that season and in some way it made me realise how much id actually enjoyed series 1 and 2.

Aiden gillen was outstanding in it. So good that i was surprised to hear he was irish. When watching love hate i kept thinking he seemed like an american actor trying(badly) to put on a dublin accent due to his performances as tommy carcetti.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭pavb2

I've watched series one & two about 3 or 4 episodes a night over a couple of weeks, like pringles once you start watching you can't stop so I've held off on S3 for a bit.

I found them a slow burner not a bad thing and liked the two completely different story lines from s1 to s2. I think the many sub plots and different strands make it compulsive viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭con1421

Ye I agree specially season 1.I just found it so hard to get into it.Maybe it was due to the fact that the episodes were so long. Ye I noticed that about Aidan Gillen aswell. When watching love/hate it was clearly a put on American accent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Its an amazing piece of work. Its like a good book, it builds up to a season finale - I like the way that nothing happens in it just for the sake of happening. If people want a show where there's a big incident at the end of each episode and everything is wrapped up nicely after the usual 45 mins, then go watch CSI or something like that. The Wire is a serious show.

Favourite character is probably Bubbles. Fantastic acting and a real likeable character. But there's so many great characters, its hard to pick just one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Its an amazing piece of work. Its like a good book, it builds up to a season finale - I like the way that nothing happens in it just for the sake of happening. If people want a show where there's a big incident at the end of each episode and everything is wrapped up nicely after the usual 45 mins, then go watch CSI or something like that. The Wire is a serious show.

Favourite character is probably Bubbles. Fantastic acting and a real likeable character. But there's so many great characters, its hard to pick just one!
    Surprised you picked Bubbles ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement