Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heaven Pizza, Douglas St

• 17-01-2011 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

What a shock I got when I ventured in there for a simple slice and can the other night. The place looks nice from the outside and pretty big for an inner-city pizza shop but my experience was far from pleasant. I was the only customer inside and it was at least five minutes before one of the two staff even acknowledged me. Playing on the counter with a couple of €2 coins thinking of leaving, the slice was finally placed in front of me. "Thank you very much and may you enjoy your meal!" says the guy behind the counter over-enthusiastically. Meal? Cringeworthy I thought but who cares? Now I have a pizza slice that people compare with those available in La Tana or Novocento, just down the road. I hand him the cash for the €3 deal. About thirty seconds pass as I wait for my change. "Receipt, sir?" the guy asks. Bemused, I explained to him that I was due a euro back. He insists I only gave him three despite the fact that I was toying with the coins for a considerable amount of time and was 100% certain that he had made an embarassing mistake. Stubborn due to my unexpected wait, I had to put the foot down and demand the euro. "Thank you" he uttered with his head down and his eyebrows rolling, submitting and giving me my due change.

Why do new shops around town hire people like this? His entire shtick came across as unsettling, not humorous, and his bird-brained conviction that I had just shafted him meant he had settled for losing the euro but placed himself on the moral high ground. Are these the "nouveau poor" we hear about? Born with the silver spoon not far from the mouth, having to downgrade from some office job for which they were over-paid, attempting to emulate the Bill Cullen go-getter persona, dropping down a few rungs but hoping to climb back up by accepting a humble job, judging every bearded pizza-craver in the process? Maybe he just had a bad day but I certainly won't be going back there.

Incidentally, the pizza was a bit of a let-down too. Not bad by any means but quite standard. Small with only three toppings, a glorified Goodfellas. Not in the same league as their two topping-happy, Italian-ran competitors mentioned above and probably behind Fast Al's even.

I dunno folks. Am I just cynical or is anyone else fed up with these businesses that hire "positive" employees over those that actually get the job done? I work in retail myself and have learnt to understand that customers value honesty over gimmicks. So thumbs down, Heaven! I was not impressed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

I'm amazed that this is your FIRST posting. You subscribed to slate a place - always dodgy - especially when it's your first posting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

PcAngel wrote: »
    I'm amazed that this is your FIRST posting. You subscribed to slate a place - always dodgy - especially when it's your first posting.

If you have a problem with a post, report it.

For the record, I don't see an issue with this thread. It seems like a fair assessment of a place the OP found disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

I have NO connection with Heaven or in fact any pizza place/ restaurant. I just wonder about posts from FIRST timers that mention the name of a business.
    I am extremely concerned that ANYONE can damage a business by comments that may or may not be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BitterMan

I am extremely concerned that ANYONE can damage a business by comments that may or may not be true.

Er, welcome to the internet? My intention isn't to attack an individual here. As I said, he might have had a bad day. The web is full of fast food reviews. I just felt I should post it on boards.ie because it's a better place to hold a discussion than on food review sites that often only contain one sentence replies which don't make much sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Was in the petrol station in Douglas few weeks back now and got a breakfast deal (bacon, sausages, pudding for 5.70), got a few other bits too.

Came to 13eu, I was like 'that makes no sense at all. none of that will come close to 13eu'. so the girl checked and she had overcharged on the breakfast items.

....soooo she asked the manager and the manager said something in indian language and she scanned the pudding again and it appeared on the receipt which added to the price!!! then.. she gave change of 1.20.

Came out the shop and looked at the receipt and just thought 'wtf' so got the bf to go back in and he said she didn't even say sorry or anything.. just gave the proper change!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

OP, if you knew about Novecento why did you go to Pizza Heaven?

The menu in Heaven is a bit in poor taste me thinks, "The Last Supper", "The almighty" etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

BitterMan wrote: »
    What a shock I got when I ventured in there for a simple slice and can the other night. The place looks nice from the outside and pretty big for an inner-city pizza shop but my experience was far from pleasant. I was the only customer inside and it was at least five minutes before one of the two staff even acknowledged me. Playing on the counter with a couple of €2 coins thinking of leaving, the slice was finally placed in front of me. "Thank you very much and may you enjoy your meal!" says the guy behind the counter over-enthusiastically. Meal? Cringeworthy I thought but who cares? Now I have a pizza slice that people compare with those available in La Tana or Novocento, just down the road. I hand him the cash for the €3 deal. About thirty seconds pass as I wait for my change. "Receipt, sir?" the guy asks. Bemused, I explained to him that I was due a euro back. He insists I only gave him three despite the fact that I was toying with the coins for a considerable amount of time and was 100% certain that he had made an embarassing mistake. Stubborn due to my unexpected wait, I had to put the foot down and demand the euro. "Thank you" he uttered with his head down and his eyebrows rolling, submitting and giving me my due change.

Why do new shops around town hire people like this? His entire shtick came across as unsettling, not humorous, and his bird-brained conviction that I had just shafted him meant he had settled for losing the euro but placed himself on the moral high ground. Are these the "nouveau poor" we hear about? Born with the silver spoon not far from the mouth, having to downgrade from some office job for which they were over-paid, attempting to emulate the Bill Cullen go-getter persona, dropping down a few rungs but hoping to climb back up by accepting a humble job, judging every bearded pizza-craver in the process? Maybe he just had a bad day but I certainly won't be going back there.

Incidentally, the pizza was a bit of a let-down too. Not bad by any means but quite standard. Small with only three toppings, a glorified Goodfellas. Not in the same league as their two topping-happy, Italian-ran competitors mentioned above and probably behind Fast Al's even.

I dunno folks. Am I just cynical or is anyone else fed up with these businesses that hire "positive" employees over those that actually get the job done? I work in retail myself and have learnt to understand that customers value honesty over gimmicks. So thumbs down, Heaven! I was not impressed.

Suspect.

You went to an awful lot of hassle to post here all over a euro!

Do you happen to work for one of the rivals?!

I can only comment on Heaven in Ballincolig - and it is the best of the options out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sok2005

Must give Heaven in Ballincollig a thumbs up. It's never let us down!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

kcb wrote: »

You went to an awful lot of hassle to post here all over a euro!

Well.. I don't think so.. Some people just want to warn others and let them know about their experience (whether it is a good one, or bad one). I think we should be grateful for his 10 minutes of time he spared to let everyone else know.
    ---

Now some of my experience - last saturday (Paddy's day) I was chillin at my friend's gaff on Douglas st. and wanted to have some quick food. I just googled their number, rang them and ordered Meal Deal for 1 for collection. 9 euro and 95 cents for 9 inch pizza with two toppings, garlic bread and can of coke. Pizza was ok, slightly burnt but still ok (bit too much cheese in the middle, but acceptable). Garlic bread was burnt and almost unconsumable - I never thought that this is possible to sell as a food. So I paid a tenner for 9 inch pizza, completely burnt garlic bread and can of drink. I will never ever spend a cent there that is for sure. Unfortunately I was already under influence of alcohol and thc so I decided to eat the pizza and not to return the garlic bread (I had like three bites and rest of it ended up in the bin).

Heaven Pizza - never more.

Pic015.jpg

Pic016-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

I have NO connection with Heaven or in fact any pizza place/ restaurant. I just wonder about posts from FIRST timers that mention the name of a business.

I doubt a business is going to be too damaged over a single post on a small section of an internet forum.
    Diabhalta wrote: »
    Well.. I don't think so.. Some people just want to warn others and let them know about their experience (whether it is a good one, or bad one). I think we should be grateful for his 10 minutes of time he spared to let everyone else know.
    ---

Now some of my experience - last saturday (Paddy's day) I was chillin at my friend's gaff on Douglas st. and wanted to have some quick food. I just googled their number, rang them and ordered Meal Deal for 1 for collection. 9 euro and 95 cents for 9 inch pizza with two toppings, garlic bread and can of coke. Pizza was ok, slightly burnt but still ok (bit too much cheese in the middle, but acceptable). Garlic bread was burnt and almost unconsumable - I never thought that this is possible to sell as a food. So I paid a tenner for 9 inch pizza, completely burnt garlic bread and can of drink. I will never ever spend a cent there that is for sure. Unfortunately I was already under influence of alcohol and thc so I decided to eat the pizza and not to return the garlic bread (I had like three bites and rest of it ended up in the bin).

Heaven Pizza - never more.

If I were you, I'd write them a letter of complaint and attatch the photographs as evidence. It's absolutely unacceptable to pay for food and get it burnt.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »

If I were you, I'd write them a letter of complaint and attatch the photographs as evidence. It's absolutely unacceptable to pay for food and get it burnt.

+1
    If you can go to the trouble of posting them on here you should also be inclined to inform the business in question.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

RoverJames wrote: »
    The menu in Heaven is a bit in poor taste me thinks, "The Last Supper", "The almighty" etc.

More importantly, it tastes poor, too.

Our company sometimes orders from that place when we have to work late... since they started doing that, people started bringing their own food. Heaven's pizzas are just awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

RoverJames wrote: »

Well the name of the place is heaven pizza, so in my view its a clever marketing idea, shame the food isnt up to scratch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Good pizza is hard to find in Cork,

Uncle Pete's (I think they're called) who do at least one night a week in the Franciscan Well are the best I've had.

A lot of my friends are Italian, so they're beyond picky when it comes to pizza and it's kind of rubbed off on me too after having proper home made pizza.

Advertisement