Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Household Tax - Boycott

• 26-07-2011 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bkeano

Hi all Boardies

Can we all please make a stance here and get our non boardies to do the same. Enough is Enough We should not pay this new household Tax. Its the same as the Poll tax in the UK. I am an normal Joe Soap with 2 kids. I cant pay any more Taxes. I can afford it as it is. I am lucky to have my Job.

We need to mount a serious objection here and nationwide.

thanks
    Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bkeano

come people are we going to take all this crap

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭RedXIV

As another someone with 2 kids, I sympathise. but I'm not gonna get thrown out of my house for an extra €9 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

bkeano wrote: »
    Hi all Boardies

Can we all please make a stance here and get our non boardies to do the same. Enough is Enough We should not pay this new household Tax. Its the same as the Poll tax in the UK. I am an normal Joe Soap with 2 kids. I cant pay any more Taxes. I can afford it as it is. I am lucky to have my Job.

thanks
    Brian

How much is your internet costing you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Apparently it be 100 euro in first year, who is this paid for Revenue or Local council?? what will the tax go towards exactly??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Minister for the Environment Phil Hogan is expected to announce a new temporary “household charge” of €100 per year later this afternoon.

Proposals for the new tax, viewed as a forerunner to a property tax and a water charge, were presented by the Minister to the Cabinet this morning.

So are people with their own wells paying the full charge or not? So little information out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 ncc1699

I won't be paying it. If you were getting something for this charge like your bins being collected I would have considered it but it's just another tax to get us out of the mess we are in.

The majority of the Irish people didn't cause the situation we find ourselves in, useless politicians and dodgy bankers did!

And isn't it ironic how Fine Gael were the party that were lashing fianna fail in the last government for trying to tax the Irish people out of a recession and that they wouldn't succeed with it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Hi all Boardies

thanks
    Brian

Please don't presume to talk for everyone. I note the way you shift from "we" to "I" in the course of your post, in that "we should not pay this new household Tax", and then "I cant pay any more taxes". If you can't afford the taxes, you'll likely get an exemption. After that, whether you pay or not is up to you. But these posts by people who seek to project their own disillusion and anger about policies onto the rest of us, and thus subtly judge those who don't share those views, are getting a bit tiresome. I think the new charges are both reasonable and necessary, so I'll be paying them. Good luck to you if you won't, but I doubt your children will thank you when the water is cut off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

€100 might seem reasonable to you now but will you feel the same in 5 years when the total of your household tax and water usage bills amount to €1000 per year?

Although I'm sure once we are being charged we can claim back for every night the water is cut off here during the summer.
    Oh wait, this is Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Worrying how some people can't connect the introduction of such a tax and the dangerous precedent it sets for the future. The "eh, it's only 100 euro, I can afford that, can't you?" attitude is shortsighted. Absolutely support a boycott, another indirect tax which will of course hit those least well off in society more than the rich. Watch this space for a huge grassroots campaign on the issue from the ULA.

Also, can anyone tell me how this affects people in rented accommodation? Would the landlord or tenants have to pay?

€100 might seem reasonable to you now but will you feel the same in 5 years when the total of your household tax and water usage bills amount to €1000 per year?

Although I'm sure once we are being charged we can claim back for every night the water is cut off here during the summer.
    Oh wait, this is Ireland!

Well your tax rates might seem reasonable now, but will you feel the same in 5 years time when they are 100% of all income, and the first born child of every family! Will you?? Huh??

Everyone can play that game...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

Einhard wrote: »

Well you're tax rates might seem reasonable now, but will you feel the same in 5 years time when they are 100% of all income, and the first born child of every family! Will you?? Huh??

Everyone can play that game...

As a business owner who pays water rates already I know how much it costs each year once you start to be metered. And I uses lot less water in my business than I do in the house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

too late, country f&cked.
    pay up or leave. govt cant cut any more expenditure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

come people are we going to take all this crap

Yes.

Yes we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Worrying how some people can't connect the introduction of such a tax and the dangerous precedent it sets for the future. The "eh, it's only 100 euro, I can afford that, can't you?" attitude is shortsighted. Absolutely support a boycott, another indirect tax which will of course hit those least well off in society more than the rich. Watch this space for a huge grassroots campaign on the issue from the ULA.

Also, can anyone tell me how this affects people in rented accommodation? Would the landlord or tenants have to pay?

I am sure most people see that the €100 rate won't last forever and it is likely to increase, but at the end of the day, household taxes are quite normal in modern economies and WE (the STATE) needs all the money WE can get.

Low income families will be exempt.

You can have your grassroots campaign, but the ULA will do well not to rely on my support.

As it is coined as a Household tax, I assume it will be the tenant that pays. Landlords already pay a tax of €200 per property.

LeixlipRed wrote: »

Matt Cooper made the point the other night that it would be the responsibility of the landlord but that more then likely this would be passed down to the tenant as part of their rental charge, but he was only giving his own private opinion

CiaranC wrote: »
    Yes.

Yes we are.

Is Féidir linn!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

ncc1699 wrote: »
    I won't be paying it. If you were getting something for this charge like your bins being collected I would have considered it but it's just another tax to get us out of the mess we are in.

The majority of the Irish people didn't cause the situation we find ourselves in, useless politicians and dodgy bankers did!

And isn't it ironic how Fine Gael were the party that were lashing fianna fail in the last government for trying to tax the Irish people out of a recession and that they wouldn't succeed with it

I am really sick of all the crying. We are not taxed heavily in this country and the rich are paying most of our taxes. The poorer will either be exempt from paying or will be paying basically no tax already so the €100 is not the end of the world.

If we had been paying a property tax and a water tax all along we would have decent water pipes and we wouldn't have gone mad wasting fast money got from stamp duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

meglome wrote: »
    I am really sick of all the crying. We are not taxed heavily in this country and the rich are paying most of our taxes.

We are not directly taxed heavily in this country, but we are screwed by stealth taxes and "I can't believe it's not a tax" taxes.

Is this "household charge" going to be the same in areas that have County Council bin removals as those who have to pay private operators ?

I am really sick of all the crying. We are not taxed heavily in this country and the rich are paying most of our taxes. The poorer will either be exempt from paying or will be paying basically no tax already so the €100 is not the end of the world.

If we had been paying a property tax and a water tax all along we would have decent water pipes and we wouldn't have gone mad wasting fast money got from stamp duty.

Property taxes in 4 digit range did not prevent property bubbles in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

We roll over and die to easily in this country.

The recent introduction of this pension thing where the government decided that the good citizens who decided to put a few bob away for their retirement should be the ones to bail out the country.

This was the very same as if they dipped into any savings accounts we might have tucked away.

They are short of a few bob, but if they were honest and said that from now on you can only claim relief at the standard rate or even if they said you have to pay 1% of future pension contributions it would have earned them a hell of a lot more cash and would not have been at all devious, but up from and honest, but oh God no way could a politician be honest. And as for their excuse of the relief we got on it, not all people claim relief at the high rate and I would hazzard a guess that most don't, so that is poppycock.

So many people say sure isn't it only half a percent.... it's not, it was .6% of your money every six months for the next two years, 2.4%.

Ah sure it's only 2.4%...... Only me arse, until next time they come looking, and now there is a precedent set. I'm tellin ya, get your savings into another country because they will want them next!

As for the "household charge" I'm in for the Boycot, F"<& them I wont be paying. A few years ago we all of a sudden had to pay twice for our bins in Fingal. We always had tags so no problem, out with the sheckels, round to spar and about €5 or €6 later you bin was gone. It was Fine Gael who brought in the annual charge on top of this of €110 and the bin tag is about €8.50 now!! Fine Gael scum, we should have known the would try every underhanded method to steal our money.

Now on the other side, I do realise that we are completely knackered in this country, or as the crowd standard and pores call us, "junk". Our water has been in dire straits for years and if you ask me we have dont nothing about it. We are in Ireland for God's sake, water should not be an issue, sure doesn't it rain 597 days a year!

Someone needs to fix the pipes etc to solve the problem, and I don't mind paying for that in a fair and reasonable method, so for everyone connected to the water mains, and only those connected to the water mains a meter should be installed, with maybe a small flat fee to allow you so many gallons of water and then a charge per gallon thereafter. The point of the meter should be for water conservation purposes and not as a revenue raising tool.

If that c#^t Moany Joany Brutal or Leo lap Dog Vladivofstock ever come near my house again I will turn the bloody hose on them

• Advertisement

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    We are not directly taxed heavily in this country, but we are screwed by stealth taxes and "I can't believe it's not a tax" taxes.

The rich are paying most of our tax. Though I disagree that we are heavily taxed it's irrelevant as the poor aren't paying much tax of any kind.
    Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Is this "household charge" going to be the same in areas that have County Council bin removals as those who have to pay private operators ?

There are questions to be answered about this charge, no doubt. It's still not an unreasonable charge though nor does it add up to high taxes.
    ei.sdraob wrote: »
    Property taxes in 4 digit range did not prevent property bubbles in other countries.

Sure. Our fat wads of stamp duty let us go mad throwing money at everything. Instead of trimming the PS we bloated it, instead of fixing anything we threw money at it in the hopes it would go away. A yearly property tax wouldn't have allowed the same recklessness.
    stevieob wrote: »
    We roll over and die to easily in this country.

As for the "household charge" I'm in for the Boycot, F"<& them I wont be paying. A few years ago we all of a sudden had to pay twice for our bins in Fingal. We always had tags so no problem, out with the sheckels, round to spar and about €5 or €6 later you bin was gone. It was Fine Gael who brought in the annual charge on top of this of €110 and the bin tag is about €8.50 now!! Fine Gael scum, we should have known the would try every underhanded method to steal our money.

Why let the fact we are not a high tax country get in the way of a rant.

Sure. Our fat wads of stamp duty let us go mad throwing money at everything. Instead of trimming the PS we bloated it, instead of fixing anything we threw money at it in the hopes it would go away. A yearly property tax wouldn't have allowed the same recklessness.

A constitutional spending limit with provision for saving of X if economy is growing above Y% a year would have been much better idea, and as added bonus would require a referendum to change the limit, taking the power of being reckless out of the hands of politicians.

Anyways property taxes are often used by local councils to maintain the local area, this it seems will just disappear into a multitude of black holes and not actually go towards roads, water etc
    There is no mention of this revenue stream being ring fenced. It is yet another tax with little to show for it, dont make any mistakes.

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    Anyways property taxes are often used by local councils to maintain the local area, this it seems will just disappear into a multitude of black holes and not actually go towards roads, water etc
    There is no mention of this revenue stream being ring fenced. It is yet another tax with little to show for it, dont make any mistakes.

Hopefully not but in the present situation who knows.

What happened the the TV licence thing. Were our money was going to the government instead of RTE, BCI

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I think it's a great tax and should probably be higher in all honesty.

I think it's a great tax and should probably be higher in all honesty.

What exactly is great about it :confused:

No crying going on here Meglome. I'm stating my intent to not pay this as I believe I shouldn't have to. It may backfire on me and probably will going by the opinions of some people on this forum.

I'm just stating my opinion on it, like you are stating yours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

RedXIV wrote: »
    As another someone with 2 kids, I sympathise. but I'm not gonna get thrown out of my house for an extra €9 a month

eh , they can't throw you out of your house for not paying the household charge (only the non-payment of your mortgage/rent can get you thrown out )
    We must take a stand , the gov must realise that they need to cut expenditure (espcially from within the amount of money paid to themselves)

if no-body pays they can't actually do anything to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 !3theraven

RedXIV wrote: »

If you accept paying €9 a month now, do you think it will still be €9 a month the year after or two years from now? what will you do if and when it comes to €20 a month or more then that? its obvious the €100 a year charge is only a foot in the door tactic to get people to say that,s not much I can afford that, once you say that and accept it, just watch as the goverment rack up the property tax each and every year afterwards.

Its time to now to take a stand and refuse to pay any property tax, if we don,t do it now, we will look back in a good few years time when property tax could be say €1000 a year and wonder why didn,t we resist when they tried to get a foot in the door?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭careca11

Why let the fact we are not a high tax country get in the way of a rant.

We are not a low income tax Country , but overall YES we are a HIGH TAXED country (you name it in this country and you will find there is a tax on it)

this household charge will be used to prop up the salaries of the country councils who are claiming they are broke .
    Just like the TV LICENSE pays for all the big wigs in RTE (who in turn claim their salaries thru , they're own self run production businesses thus availing of tax loopholes where the likes of Pat Kenny etc only pay tax at the lower rate )

Advertisement