Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Festina lente

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Congrats Ray. Super performance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Great stuff Ray!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Congrats. Fantastic effort ! Bit sadistic to put a bunch of turns at then end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Well deserved. congrats Ray :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Only seeing your result now, good man thats a great run, well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Brillian run Ray. Congratulations. Well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Good man Ray, well deserved result!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Congrats again Ray, judging by your rate of marathon improvement I'm guessing your next goal is sub 2.30? ;-)
    Hope the recovery is going well. I've got your gel belt, I don't imagine you will need it anytime too soon? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Today is the first day I've walked without a limp, so no hurry! Any time you run a race out this way you'll find someone from the club, you can pass it on, it will get back to me eventually :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

So how did you know the person who passed you was a triathlete? Shaved legs? ;)

Great race report, and super congrats again on a awesome performance! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Great report ray. Super performace to hang on when legs werent playing ball

Dory Dory wrote: »
    So how did you know the person who passed you was a triathlete? Shaved legs? ;)

Triathy top :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Great run last week Ray, was delighted for you.
    How's the recovery coming along - had time time to think about the summer plans yet and put the super base work to work over the shorter distances?

Recovery is going slowly - my right calf is very stiff and after a few minutes walking I develop a limp. The kids had a league meeting yesterday and I did a lap with them during their warmup - by the end of the lap I'd had enough of running! So it'll be another few days before I do even a short run. We're off to Spain then, so I hope to be back to daily easy runs soon enough.
    Nothing very short planned for the summer, Dunshaughlin 10k and Frank Duffy 10, probably some parkruns along the way. I plan to stick to one session a week through the next training block, which might be a Wednesday session with the club or might be a long run with faster bits, but after Dublin it will be all shorter stuff for a year or more (unless theboyblunder has other orders!)

First run jog again today, just 25 minutes.
    Still a bit of a pull in my calf, but getting there...

Month|2010|2011|2012|2013|2014
    January|38.8|105.61|187.46|257.13|202.59
    February|35.5|106.68|191.79|212.8|217.1
    March|53.2|121.83|214|45.93|249.45
    April|72|106.33|201.18|51|150.36
    May|75.9|107.13|175.21|41.9|123.51
    June|90.2|64.85|150.09|89.72
    July|118.1|126.92|242.21|147.92
    August|124.4|168|240.27|173.96
    September|154|171.75|203.69|178.55
    October|108.7|191.2|229|196.88
    November|58.4|128.9|283.87|208.34
    December|83|166.58|285|233.23
    Total|1012.2|1578.1|2604|1837.3

Just back from a nice two weeks away. Funnily enough it was just what I needed to get back into a routine. The few weeks before the marathon and the couple of weeks after running was so random that going for a run was a choice that had to be made. Two weeks of getting up and getting an hour in before it got too hot and running every day is back to being the default.

(Did miss a couple of days, sore glute one day, weirdly sore toe the day after, both twinging on and off all through the holiday, and today I've been wrecked between the late arrival and manic return to work. But I notice the gaps more than the runs, as it should be)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

welcome back Ray...........nothing much happening here except;

TBB has joined Tallaght AC
    Quirky has gone AWOL - rumours circulating that he is in a secret training camp in Kenya.
    Digger has ran a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Correction: TBB has joined the women's ranks of Tallaght AC! Wasn't manly enough for the male section ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Welcome back Ray, you were missed. I don't think anything fell apart in your absence ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

TRR wrote: »
    Correction: TBB has joined the women's ranks of Tallaght AC! Wasn't manly enough for the male section ;)

Haha it kills you that I joined the up and coming south dublin club snd not tallaght AC.

Not manly enough eh? wanna race now? If you can put the cream cakes down for long enough that is :)

Any weekend you fancy finding out how the bros pearse men train you could come on our LSRs. we'd be happy to drag your huffing hefty frame 2000ft up the hills.

• Advertisement

This pain in the arse is a pain in the arse
    Most of my running in the last few weeks has had the same pattern - first mile hobbling like an arthritic old man, as per usual, then about 20 minutes of running normally, then my glute starts to ache and get stiff, and I start running like tRR after one of his 'advanced' sessions with ecoli.
    So I've taken four days off in the last week, and two other days have been just 30 minute runs, will try 45 minutes tomorrow.
    And my 305 has finally died on me, will no longer hold a charge. Which I wouldn't mind so much if I was training consistently, but with all the missed days and no records I feel like I'm doing absolutely nothing...

Things are starting to return to normal, still a bit of stiffness towards the end of runs but its fading away. Still no garmin though, and I don't bother using a stopwatch to time runs, or record them afterwards. 45 minutes to an hour most days and I'm 4 days in to this routine once a day

Still no speed sessions (since March?) or even strides at the end of a run, but I have had a race. An 800m race in the National Track and Field League in Santry, because that's just how I roll. Also the kid who ran 800m in the first league was injured, and they found me sitting at the bottom of the barrel :)

Tactics for the race were very simple
    1) do not think of it at all until right before the start. Mission accomplished. I was an empty vessel, waiting to be filled by the spirit of the track :cool: It wasn't until I signed in and was watching the earlier 800s that I figured out where the break point was
    2) Find the guy in second-last and follow him. Maybe he'll trip. I thought the runner from Sli Culainn looked a bit nervous before the race, maybe I'd be racing him. Turns out he was Timmaay!:pac: He was probably thinking, "he can't just be a random oul fella, he must be one of those dna_leri types who will zip around in 2:0low"
    Lined up in lane 7 and off we went. There goes Timmaay in 8. There goes 5. And 4. And 3, 2, 1... 200m in and it was very clear how this race was going to go:pac: Hit 400m in 67, not too far off the back but already completely ****ed. Broke at the right place! Up the back straight where the stadium organisers had very kindly turned on the wind machines, to cool us down on such a hot day. Around the bend and, yes, the winners are being called, and I hit the final straight as the guys in front of me are crossing the finish line :pac: so all of the applause in the stands is for me, no sharing! No official results yet, but a clubmate timed me at 2:24, so a 67/77 split.
    Legs were fine afterwards but I spent the next half hour trying to cough up my lungs :)

But it was all worth it in the end - of the four teams in the pool, only three had runners in the 800. I may have been last, but I was also third, six points for the team, an extra point overall than if I hadn't run.
    Default? The two sweetest words in the English language! De-FAULT! De-FAULT! De-FAULT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Fair play man, great to get a decent reward like that when you put yourself on the line for the club. A decent time as well considering the speed work has been minimal, could make a track fairy out of you yet :D

I do plan to focus on the track (and cross country) next year. Longer than ****ing 800m though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Ray, my 305 died in a similar manner recently. I sent it back to Garmin for replacement and got a brand new 305 a week later. I think it cost me €73 plus the postage to england. A good enough deal as I loved my 305 and the newer ones dont seem to be quite as good. You need to contact them via the number on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Nicely done Ray, fair play for stepping up. 2.24 is not bad especially off such a fast lap. With more even pacing you would easily break 2.20.

RayCun wrote: »
    No official results yet, but a clubmate timed me at 2:24

:pac: official time 2:26.77, 16 seconds off the back :pac:

30:40 gun time, 30:35 chip, 85th overall, 13th in category

Absolutely terrible race. I'd say shocking but it really shouldn't be a shock :o - no sessions in months, no great mileage, and mentally I really wasn't in race mode, autopilot all morning. Mile 1 was about 6.05, mile 2 5.50?, mile 3 about the same, mile 4 6.30ish:rolleyes:,and mile 5 6.0something. Nice bag at the end, that's about the only positive :rolleyes:

Time to start hurting myself in sessions again...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done Ray, that looks like a very solid time given you've been taking it easy since Limerick.

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sh1te time Ray. Time to start hurtin'.

<just tellin it like it is> :)

Advertisement