Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Haven't touched a drop in...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Would be very curious what amounts you guys were drinking to make you stop, I wonder myself and now and then cut right down, but I would not be brave enough to stop, I enjoy it but see the danger of it spiralling some day.

I was drinking too much and too often for sure....but it was more about what happened once I started. Sometimes it was ok-lots of fun/no blackouts etc...but more often as time went on trouble came with the fun and then eventually there was only trouble. Blackouts and their unpredictability was a big factor in my simply having to stop. I couldn't control my drinking nor predict what would happen when I did.
    The end felt like *checkmate* in a game of chess-and that "defeat" was eventually how I waved the white flag with drinking for good and for all. It was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭auldgranny

Day 3. Two very restless nights with night sweats. Very bad craving the second day but not too bad today. Have arranged to travel with someone else to and from work this week, having shopping delivered and babysitting the weekend. So cuts down my opportunities for temptation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

auldgranny wrote: »
    Day 3. Two very restless nights with night sweats. Very bad craving the second day but not too bad today. Have arranged to travel with someone else to and from work this week, having shopping delivered and babysitting the weekend. So cuts down my opportunities for temptation.

Yes auldgranny it's to be expected, unfortunately. Here's a few tips that might help in the long journey,

remember it can be done...

#1 Failure is not an option. When you think you are going to fail, guess what? You FAIL! Wrote this book on this one. Get your mind into a mode of THIS WILL BE DONE. Don't be willy-nilly, or your willy will get nillied. Your mind is your best friend and your biggest enemy. Control IT and you will win. Control your thoughts and you will win.

Get all of the ALcohol out of your house/space. Yes...ALL of it. You don't need a safety net because you are not going to fail. I fought this one hard, but I wasn't able to succeed until I did it. No, I was NOT different than everybody else, I could not resist it if it was in the house. GET IT OUT.

Get your story down as to why you're not drinking. This is important. Get a story together you can live with.so If you are a Type A personality, you might enjoy using 'ALcohol kills my ulcers'. If you are a health nuts, "I'm detoxing"....religious nut? "I gave it up for Lent and felt so good I kept going".....you get the idea. Get your story and stick to it.

As Alkies, we aren't used to eating. This is the SILVER BULLET to succeeding. If you have a bad craving and The Voices are knocking, EAT! Eat until you are FULL! Remember those times when you've said, "I can't eat another bite of anything!" That's the full we're talking about. You will not want anything if you EAT!

You are gonna feel like **** for a few days. I felt flu-like for the first couple weeks, so treat yourself well. Drink plenty of fluids and rest! Your body is changing over from an ethanol burning engine to a food/nutrient burning machine. Have patience as your body makes this transition.

Keep yourself out of temptation.NO, you are not stronger than this thing, protect your young quit with everything you've got. Stay out of bars and avoid alcohol gettogethers, you know the ones I am talking about,especially the first 3 or 4 weeks. In my case I stayed away from them for over 3 months,I don't care how strong you feel, this is a new thing for us and temptation is everywhere. Avoid it at all costs.

Change your mindset from one of deprivation to one of gratitude. Just look at the folks on here who have made Great changes in their lives!!! They are HAPPY and optimistic! Does this sound like someone who considers themselves deprived? It's all a matter of perspective. Thank God, you don't HAVE to drink today!!! Remember, to a worm, digging around in the hard old ground is a lot more relaxing than going fishing! Try not to throw, attend and participate in Pity Parties, they serve no good purpose.

Glue yourself to this site and others like it nd learn everything you can about this condition we have. Knowledge is power. Nothing we do or think hasn't been done or thought before, so look back on the years of experience here and you will find out what happens if you do such and such.

Let go of the past... don't look back. Let it go. ALL of it. Forgive yourself and move on....nothing to see here. There is NOTHING we can do to change what we've done, but we can start today and make things better for our future.

This is key! Being part of a group is important. Like so many have said recently, we find that we actually don't have a much of a life outside the bottle! So learning to trust others again is part of our emotional growth and healing.You just regained about 4-6 hours a day back,The world out there is telling us to do something totally counter to what we know we must do. Staying connected with like-minded people is vital. We are swimming upstream on this one...it's nice to have fellow fish to make the journey with and good luck everyone again.

“Until lions have their historians - tales of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter.”

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Great post Realies, agree with ALL of that

Day 5 today. Better night's sleep last night but still sweating a bit.

In reply to Realies:
    Thank ypu very much for ypur support and your very helpful post.
    I have tried before and i know some of the pitfalls. I have no drink in the house, nothing. I used to keep something in the house "just in case" and i found I obsessed about that one bottle till I would break out in a sweat thinking about it. My story for this month is that I am on the dry for the month of January as a lot of people are, so I will work on my next story before January ends. I think it is easier for a woman anyway not to be drinking. People are more inclined to believe a woman is abstaining for health/slimming reasons than a man.

The eating thing I have not tried before but that is a good idea. If i feel a real craving coming on I will make sure to eat. The feeling like sh**e caught me by surprise but i am glad to hear it happens to others and is therefore normal. I don't feel the best to be honest. Headachey, sore throat, stomach not sick but just not right either. Bit better today to be honest but still not 100%

Ok maybe I should stay out of bars etc..but to be honest my downfall is drinking at home. I buy alcohol on the way home from work and I drink it alone. I need to re-train myself at home as well as in pubs.

I will keep reading and posting here. i have a lot to learn and i do need support.

Thanks Realies.

• Advertisement

Day 6.
    Still haven't had a drink so that is the positive. Really missed it last night though and not sure even why. I wasn't out, I wasn't bored. I just wanted one. I tried Realies plan though and the eating thing worked. Toasted cheese sandwiches and Tayto and the longing went.

Day 6.
    Still haven't had a drink so that is the positive. Really missed it last night though and not sure even why. I wasn't out, I wasn't bored. I just wanted one. I tried Realies plan though and the eating thing worked. Toasted cheese sandwiches and Tayto and the longing went.

hiya auldgranny heres another plan

Its not easy to give up alcohol,but being honest with yourself is a step in the right direction, Once i took full responsibility for me being an alcoholic/abusive unhappy drinker and it being no one elses fault did i start to heal. What is a plan, and how do I get one???

I have made the suggestion to people here to "get a plan" for their recovery from alcohol abuse. The old phrase: "failing to plan is planning to fail" is very true in so many situations... and especially so in the case of those of us who are beginning (and continuing) the path of freedom from the devastation of alcohol abuse.

SO: What is a plan, and how do I get one?
    Exercise (doesn't have to be a whole lot; some brisk walking, 3 or 4 days a week, is helpful)
    Hypnotherapy
    Meditation (many of us practice meditation)
    Dietary supplements
    A healthy diet, and regular meals
    Medication (preferably with help, advice, and a prescription from your physician)
    Spending a significant amount of time here or other like minded websites, reading the posts of others, getting to know people, asking questions, and talking about your progress and your struggles
    Going to AA meetings
    Changing our environment: Getting alcohol out of the house; not going to bars; not hanging around with "drinking buddies"
    Most people do not use ALL elements in this list; but those who are successful tend to use a LOT of them. And we tend to adjust and tweak the elements, as we see what works for us (and for others).

Equally important is something we call the "mental game." This is short-hand for the process of changing our thinking and attitudes toward: alcohol, drinking, our emotions, and our behavior. We must learn a whole new approach to problems in life (we don't try to drink them away, any more), and we don't see alcohol as a "reward" for having accomplished something. We learn to tolerate distress, including the urges and impulses and cravings for drink, and we allow them to naturally pass away, without giving in to them. We learn not to engage in battles within our minds about drinking; we step away from that whole process, and choose to think about, and do, something else.

Perhaps most important: we recognize that the work of recovery truly is "work," and it takes time, effort, and sometimes it costs money. Sometimes it is costly in other ways, as well; friendships and other close relationships will be changed, when we change. And that can be painful. Making this kind of change will have an impact on all areas of our lives; that is a very, very good thing; it can also be accompanied by some pain. Again... we must learn to tolerate the discomforts involved in life changes. There will be some emotional upheaval along the way. We might want to seek counseling or psychotherapy; we certainly will benefit from coming here and talking about it.

Making a plan, and following it, is an act of mature recognition of the fact that, for nearly all of us, just wishing and hoping that we will stop drinking (or begin drinking "normally") "on our own" is not going to work. Remember: nobody ever "wished and hoped" their way through any important project. But with persistence, and support from others, following a plan can take us to the places in our lives where we really want to go.

Good luck everyone and remember it can be done.

• 2 weeks today cigarettes and alcohol. I still have a long way to go but happy with myself so far :)

10 days today. Feel great sense of achievement. Still the nights are a bit all over the place. Not sleeping the best. 10 days the longest i have gone for quite a while.

Six years tomorrow,
    Unbelievable when I think about it and how far I have come.

I can honestly say for me,Stopping drinking was the best decision I have ever made in my life,thanks for all your support here, and never stop believing in yourself ... Slante

• Advertisement

Great achievement Realies well done! You're one of the wise people we all look to on here when we're looking for those little nuggets of experience so keep it up. Would love to hear how & why you gave up originally that's what I normally reflect on when that day comes about. 3 years behind ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭theenergy

realies wrote: »
    Six years tomorrow,

I can honestly say for me,Stopping drinking was the best decision I have ever made in my life,thanks for all your support here, and never stop believing in yourself ... Slante

Mathú Realies

Love that comment ''best decision i have ever made''

1 day at a time...

Im on day 12

I have had 2 years before the crash! ... i love been sober and on the program...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Six years tomorrow,
    Happy "birthday", young man. ;) Keep on keeping on...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Its been 8 years since 1st January. I have achieved a lot in that time but there's still a lot I have to change in my life. I don't post much but I get a lot out of reading the forum. Thanks everyone for posting about your experiences here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

Six years tomorrow,

Well done, realies, and we are all glad here that you are around to keep us on the straight and narra!

Six years tomorrow,

Happy birthday Realies. Only 5 years and 254 days till I hit 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Happy birthday Realies. Only 5 years and 254 days till I hit 6 years.

Big milestone 5 years , I remember my first sponsor and when I asked him how long he was sober and he said 2 tears myself and my partner looked at him as if he had two heads - it seemed an eternity to us .

Time is relative isn't it ? That first week can be a greater achievement than a year later in a sober life

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭pmurphy00

1 year today.:):):)
    big change lots of positives.

i've really got a much better handle on life now.
    i've stopped hating the person in the mirror
    and stopped running from all my problems.

onwards and upwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mrs Zippy

Thanks to all the posters, I have been reading this thread for the past week. My story in brief is that I was not a big drinker, more of a chronic drinker, in that my usual level was half bottle of wine every evening and a little more on weekends. The odd time I might drink a full bottle if the wine wasn't too strong. Even more seldom would be a night out when I would have four or five drinks. This might not sound like a lot but I hated the feeling of being drunk, and the following morning I suffered from depression and remorse. Also the fact that this level of drinking was over the recommended health limits.

I have given up for long periods in the past few years, seven months, nine months ( with the help of Allen Carr and jason vale ), first relapse was due to thinking I could just have one...after a few months back to previous levels. Second relapse was due to work stress...self medicating. Shortly after this I experienced a bout of depression, which I hadn't had in 15 years ( apart from morning after alcohol blues ). This was a big wake up call, I knew I was drinking to counter the depression, but I also knew that alcohol causes or exacerbates depression. I considered quitting before Christmas but I felt it would be too hard explaining to everyone ( we all knew that feeling) so I waited until new year. I drank a full bottle of prosecco ( only intended having a glass) went to bed in a fog. So my resolve was clear the following day, I read jason vales book cover to cover and had my final drink on jan 1. I found this thread shortly after, and enjoyed the support and motivation. On the suggestion of some of the posters, I decided to take the pioneer pledge for one year ( I am not Catholic but christian ). I reasoned that it was a good excuse if people ask why I don't drink, and the fact that I have pledged to do something means I will follow though. in a way it has made it easier for me, as I feel the decision has been taken out of my hands :-)

I have to say I like the philosopy of the pioneers, and the fact that I have lost a family member to alcohol and know other people addicted to alcohol, I like feeling that I am taking a stand and might act as a good example to people (including my young nephews, one of whose is being confirmed this year) While many people are in denial about their problem, I still come across people who ask about my decision in a genuine way, and I know they are not just being curious but may be struggling with addiction and looking for a way out.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in particular to the posters who mentioned the pioneer association.

Best of luck to all, especially those who decided to quit for the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭enoughalready

Hello everyone,

410 days alcohol free. 1 year, 1 month and 14 days. Found this cool website that calculated that for me if anyone is interested - the link is below:

http://www.timeanddate.com/date/duration.html

Before and during Christmas my stress levels were through the roof, to the point that I didn't enjoy the festive period one bit and I was looking forward to it all getting back to normal, structure and routine are my pals you see. I worked myself to the bone. I came away from the whole silly season feeling exhausted.

On reflection and being confident with my judgements (now that I'm sober a good bit), I made a decision that I knew was best for me. I handed in my notice in work and decided not to continue on and do a Masters after my exams in May.

In a way I felt since being sober, I had to prove myself to people. Show them how far I was excelling and not messing up. To the point of near insanity. The financial and emotional pressure was building and building and before I knew it I was getting overwhelmed. So. I took a step back.

Took a week off work and a week off college and just focused on me for once. I talked my situation through with family and friends, who were all supportive. I can always continue on and do my masters a year or two down the line but for now I'm happier and less stressed by taking a little breather and really getting to know me. 2015: will be the year where I engage in all forms of self care and make myself a priority (as self obsessed as that sounds!). If we don't look after ourselves - how are we going to look after anyone else.

I'm entering a new stage on my sober journey and it's not hiding behind my 'busy work life' or 'excessive college committments'. This year I'll make the concious effort to reemerge from my comfort zones and engage in socialising again. No longer hidden away in my house, calculating every risk and instead throwing caution to the wind.

"We don't need to drink to have a good time" they keep telling me, so by God I'm going to test that notion this year!

Hope everyone else is okay on here, its been quite quiet recently but that's January for you I suppose. Keep being fabulous and keep the heads up. We are braver and stronger than we think!!

• Advertisement

Well done Enoughalready

1333 days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mrs Zippy

Best of luck with your decision Enoughalready. Sounds like you are making big changes but with a sober mind frame and your family and friends behind you, I am sure you are making the right choices for yourself. Stress is not good, and you have to protect your mental health. I look forward to hearing about your journey this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Abcxyz12345

3 months ago today I took my last drink. I began posting on this forum just before then too. Thanks to every single poster on this thread - I still check into the non-drinkers forum every day! It's really been an invaluable support to me.

The past 3 months have been so tough but I do see the progress I have made during that time... I look back & I can't even believe I've done what I've done! I was beyond terrified while drinking & also when imagining not drinking. It genuinely has been 'one day at a time' & also by trying to 'do the next right thing'.

Good luck to all of you trying your best to stay on this sober path. Use this forum & the advice in it... It's a special place x

3 months ago today I took my last drink. I began posting on this forum just before then too. Thanks to every single poster on this thread - I still check into the non-drinkers forum every day! It's really been an invaluable support to me.

The past 3 months have been so tough but I do see the progress I have made during that time... I look back & I can't even believe I've done what I've done! I was beyond terrified while drinking & also when imagining not drinking. It genuinely has been 'one day at a time' & also by trying to 'do the next right thing'.

Good luck to all of you trying your best to stay on this sober path. Use this forum & the advice in it... It's a special place x

Outstanding Abc , a day at time wins everytime. Just delighted for you .

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭theenergy

21 days today

xmas was a fkn nightmare

great to be back on track

wish you all well

have a good day people

Well done theenergy!!

The first 21 days are so hard... Keep going - one day at a time!
    theenergy wrote: »
    21 days today

xmas was a fkn nightmare

great to be back on track

wish you all well

have a good day people

Hi all,

101 days sober today... I just used enoughalready's app!

I'm finding things a bit hard lately. I've been going to meetings a few times a week but I'm not sharing. I'm sitting there listening & feeling anxious & upset. Others have said that these are the times I should share but I just find it so hard to talk as I'll feel uncomfortable bawling. I'm not sure why I'm so upset. I've days when I find life all so overwhelming. I don't have a wish to drink today but my head is very muddled & I feel very edgy. Anyone have any advice? Thank you

Hi all,

101 days sober today... I just used enoughalready's app!

I'm finding things a bit hard lately. I've been going to meetings a few times a week but I'm not sharing. I'm sitting there listening & feeling anxious & upset. Others have said that these are the times I should share but I just find it so hard to talk as I'll feel uncomfortable bawling. I'm not sure why I'm so upset. I've days when I find life all so overwhelming. I don't have a wish to drink today but my head is very muddled & I feel very edgy. Anyone have any advice? Thank you

Absolutely outstanding Abc !!! 101 days sober is serious territory ! well done indeed and just keep banging in those meetings.

Never feel uncomfortable in a meeting , if you can't cry in a meeting where can you cry ? And remember you are crying with the pain and effort of recovery and not crying with the despair of regret .

On the sharing ,I can only speak for myself but I didn't speak for months and months. I simply wasn't capable of doing so and some long timers sensed that and told me not to fret over it and that my presence there was sharing enough.

I can identify completely with the feeling that life is so overwhelming and all I can say is to remember that everything,everything, comes to an end ,or as the slogan says -this too shall pass. And it will . Just do what you are doing and you will get there and take consolation from how far you have come .

To go to sleep sober at the end of each day is a major triumph ,remember that Abc ,and you are doing brilliantly - just hang in there and it will improve ,little by little , it will improve. And we are all rooting for you and wishing you well.

This is what happened to me but when I asked my sponsor to be my sponsor that all changed. We all need help and a bit of direction. If you're female find a lady who you can look up to and has been sober a good while, if you're male vice versa. Try to get talking to them before or after the meetings first than go from there. It really is life changing when you find the right person. It's so so important and I would have been back on a bar stool long ago only for mine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭enoughalready

I agree, keep telling yourself 'this too shall pass'. Like everything, it passes. Feelings don't linger too often. I find it very helpful to write down how I'm feeling. I do so in a draft in my emails where it is secure and nobody can access. Doing it this way I find I write more honestly as I know no-one else can find it. Talking your feelings out to a good friend who understands your situation may help also, plus we are always here for you too Abcxyz12345

Advertisement