Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda stop but what happens next?

2»

Comments

• yourpics wrote: »
    Would the Lexus have insurance? Garda Vehicles usually only have tax so that might give it away

An unmarked won't have the discs but you can be sure surveillance cars would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Ive got details taken before, and never heard from it ever again.

I wouldnt worry OP, id say its just 60 euro fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭cichlid child

MagsDar wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I was stopped for speeding on a motorway near Kilkenny by Garda traffic last Saturday morning. I was in a bit of a rush for work and emarassed to say, I was going 148km which she pointed out to me as she stopped me. She was by herself, asked for my driving licence. I was shaking as I was never stopped before and I just felt embarrassed, like a bald kid. Anyway she took me details, said nothing else apart from "Slow down, you can go". So I don't know what will happen next? If she will issue a ticket or not, I was so shaken that I actually never asked her. Did anyone else had experience like mine? I am just not sure if I will get a ticket or not, and if so how long does it take? I just need to intercept it in the post so my hubby wont see it.

Hope you get done, Bald kids shouldn't feel embarrassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Zambia wrote: »
    I agree but 30kmph over is outside discretions realm IMO. In fact here the police would take your car.

Your vehicle could be impounded if you commit offences such as:
    •speeding at 45 km/h or more over the speed limit (or 145 kilometres per hour or more if the speed limit is 110 kilometres per hour)

Would this not "or 145 kilometres per hour or more if the speed limit is 100 kilometres per hour"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Would this not "or 145 kilometres per hour or more if the speed limit is 100 kilometres per hour"

Nope max speed limit here in Victoria is 110,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭irishrgr

The undercover cars are taxed and insured just like anyone else's car. If you run the number plate, it'll come back to whatever fake identity they are using for the vehicle. Depending on the degree of the depth of UC work, the officer will have ID that matches their UC profile, car registered in same name/address, credit cards, the lot. It's fairly closely controlled but necessary as the bad guys are smart too. My mate enjoyed her time doing it but was happy enough to be back to normal detective work, lower stress, easier on friends and family. And no, she didn't get to keep the Lexus....:)
    A

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

I was stopped for doing 60km in a 50km zone. In a spot known for always having a speed check. My own fault I know! Got pulled in, name address taken etc but it was never explained what happens next and I didn't ask. Got a fine and 2 penalty points.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭irishrgr

Sorry, reading the other posts...duh...interesting a car can be seized, that'll ruin your day allright. We can't seize it for speeding but we can arrest you and take you to jail and have it towed. Once you are released, you then have to go get it from the tow yard and you are responsible for towing and storage fees. This runs to about $200.

It's a common enough misconception that speeding is not an arrestable offense, but it actually is. It's just a whole lot easier to hand them a ticket as there is little value in clogging up the jails with speeders. The ticket is your agreement to appear in court, not an admission of anything else.

We don't have a written policy on speeding discretion, but most of us go with 5-10MPH except for the school zones. In a school zone the limit is usually 15-20MPH, so a mile or so over that will probably get you a ticket.

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

MagsDar wrote: »
    That's probably right too ;). She stopped me,told me I was speeding and asked for my licence. When I was searching each pocket of my purse for it (my hands shaking, panicking I left it at home, or lost it etc) she went to the backing my car, I can only assume to get my licence plate. She came back l, I handed over my licence. I've seen her taking all my details to ger note pad. She then asked what my address was, gave my driving licence back and told me to slow down and go. That's it. No mention of the ticket or what will happen. My only words were "so sorry" "heres my licence" "my address" and "sorry again". So I have no clue as to I will get fine or not...

Your details were taken because thats what they are supposed to do. Take details of interaction.

Personally If I met a woman driving a little over the limit and clearly shaken by the mere fact she was pulled I would take details, check later if its a first time offence or if its a con and shes got loads of tickets. If theres no history, its a warning and I wouldnt feel the need to do anymore.

I usually tell people thats my plan as well though, some dont.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,631 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moderator comment:

Guys, jurisdiction is key here. The OP is tacitly asking if anyone has had similar experiences in the realm of the Republic of Ireland. Can I please ask that we keep this in mind when deciding to reply, and also to please keep your replies on-topic?

Thanks.

-Shield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Speaking of the OP, it's now been 2 weeks since the thread started. I reckon if the Gardaí were taking the incident any further the OP would have heard from them by now.

Advertisement