Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

is it time for another boundary commission

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

junder wrote: »
    Unless you going to start DNA testing people then what's your point, plantations, Viking raids, various invasions who actully indigenous and how you going to prove it?

None of the Scandinavian countries are still here administering a gerrymandered statelet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

woodoo wrote: »
    junder wrote: »
    Unless you going to start DNA testing people then what's your point, plantations, Viking raids, various invasions who actully indigenous and how you going to prove it?

None of the Scandinavian countries are still here administering a gerrymandered statelet.

Yawn

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

woodoo wrote: »
    None of the Scandinavian countries are still here administering a country.
    Fixed that for you.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Barely anyone in Mainland Britain wants NI to stay in the UK, 41% are for a United Ireland 21% are Unionists and the rest don't care. These are numbers from 2007 I think and the feeling of anti-Unionism will only have increased since then. IMO the current government should make a push for negotiating over the North like Argentina did with the Falkands, it would give them a huge popularity boost. Obviously people will complain "there's much more important stuff, the economy blah blah blah" but Irish people consistently vote different to their pre election opinions. Everyone seems to hate Sinn Féin, so why are there so many Shinners in government?:rolleyes: I would like to see a United Ireland, but if I do it'll probably be when I'm really old. Too many people work for the British establishment up there to take the whole thing back

How did Argentina negotiate over the Falklands?

People on the British mainland want NI to remain while the majority in NI want the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,636 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I know nobody in my circle of friends or relatives and very few outside that who think it would be a good idea to "re-unify" ireland in the next 30 years. The problems it would cause would be immense if forced through or seen to be forced through by a minority of people, it would kick off another round of horrific violence that would very likely spread alot further south than any previous problems.
    And then theres the whole point of the republic is too politely put it completely broke and the last time i checked the British government had to pump a few billion a year into the north to keep it running.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭whitelines

Barely anyone in Mainland Britain wants NI to stay in the UK, 41% are for a United Ireland 21% are Unionists and the rest don't care. These are numbers from 2007 I think and the feeling of anti-Unionism will only have increased since then. IMO the current government should make a push for negotiating over the North like Argentina did with the Falkands, it would give them a huge popularity boost. Obviously people will complain "there's much more important stuff, the economy blah blah blah" but Irish people consistently vote different to their pre election opinions. Everyone seems to hate Sinn Féin, so why are there so many Shinners in government?:rolleyes: I would like to see a United Ireland, but if I do it'll probably be when I'm really old. Too many people work for the British establishment up there to take the whole thing back

I have rarely seen a poster get his facts as badly wrong as that!

British Social Attitudes:

(The British Social Attitudes survey is the primary social research survey in Britain)

http://www.britsocat.com/BodySecure.aspx?control=BritsocatMarginals&var=NIRLNDSC&SurveyID=24

2008 Results:

"Do you think the long-term policy for Northern Ireland should be for it to Remain part of the UK or ..."

Remain part of The UK: 56%
    Unify with the rest of Ireland: 44%

As for the trends:
    800px-Northern-Ireland-question-UK-BSA.svg.png

Note: 2007/2008 Results not present on graph.
    It would appear that support for Northern Ireland's position in UK amongst mainland British is strengthening over time, not weakening.

Advertisement