Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TV is Dead. Need a new one

• 14-10-2011 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭

My 11.5 year old 28" cathode ray tube tv had died. I have a temporary replacement one but I'm in the market for a new TV.

What would anyone recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

32" LCD, LG or Samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Firstly get the biggest size you can get. Just because you had a 28" should not mean you only limit yourself to 32" for example. Go to all the usual shops and browse around what you like the look of. Get the prices and model numbers then come home and do a bit of research to see what "respected" reviews are out there. Do not take internet forums 100% into account as often threads arise from the few customers who encounter issues. Once you pick what you are after go and find the best price.

You could also bring a measuring tape or just get the dimensions offline and make a mock-up of the TV size out of cardboard or even newspaper to get some perspective of size in your room.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭pedantic.pat

I am in the same position as OP looking to buy a new TV for first time. From small bit of research it seems Samsungs are the way to go.

Found this TV for 299 euro. Is this a good price anyone thats in the know?

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/9578167/art/samsung/le32d450zf-lcd-television.html#pix-review
    2 year warranty also.

I see the same one in power city for 429 only difference in spec seems that it is saorview enabled.

I am in the same position as OP looking to buy a new TV for first time. From small bit of research it seems Samsungs are the way to go.

Found this TV for 300 euro. Is this a good price anyone thats in the know?

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-12-32D550

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭themonic

No matter what brand you will pick, take extended warranty or insurance. Seriously.

• Advertisement

themonic wrote: »
    No matter what brand you will pick, take extended warranty or insurance. Seriously.

Have you been living in a rabbit hole for the past 20 years? Every consumer TV program and magazine that has examined extended warranties has come to the same conclusion which is that they are a waste of money because of the number of people who are skimming off commission and profit.

Make sure that the TV is covered by your household policy from accidental damage, do not buy an extended warranty.

A lot of Tesco TVs being sold in Ireland are end of line units from the UK and a lot of them will not receive Saorview.

I wouldn't touch a Philips TV since they are pulling out of the business so there is likely to be a lot of sh1te getting dumped on the market under the Philips band name, steer clear.

coylemj wrote: »
    A lot of Tesco TVs being sold in Ireland are end of line units from the UK and a lot of them will not receive Saorview.

I wouldn't touch a Philips TV since they are pulling out of the business so there is likely to be a lot of sh1te getting dumped on the market under the Philips band name, steer clear.

Thanks coylemj, philips would have been another reputable brand i was considering

Thanks coylemj, philips would have been another reputable brand i was considering

And before anyone steps forward to say that Philips is a great TV.... yes I agree because I bought a Philips 42PFL8404 LCD 42" TV in Sept. 2009 and it's a great machine but as soon as a company announces that it's not going to manufacture in a particular part of the market I say don't touch them.

Hi guys,
    Following on from the above.
    I have found another tv for 309 euro in pc world.
    PC WORLD

so i am stuck between getting the above and this one at pixmania.

I would appreciate if someone could take a moment and advise me as to which is the best choice.

My budget is 300 euro but will stretch to 350 for a better tv that would be worth the investment for that extra spec.

Thanks

Regards

Pat

• Advertisement

Pixmania is a division of the same company (DSG) which owns PC World but their customer service is notoriously bad so if I was you I'd buy from PC World locally because to return the goods for warranty repair or replacement all you have to do is put the TV in the boot of your car and bring it back to the local store.

Most of the time Pixmania ships new from France but I wouldn't put it past them if they asked you to send a machine to the furthest corner of the EU for a warranty repair, that means Romania where I believe their customer 'service' centre is located.

I would not buy a large TV via mail order, no matter how good a deal it was.

coylemj wrote: »
    Pixmania is a division of the same company (DSG) which owns PC World but their customer service is notoriously bad so if I was you I'd buy from PC World locally because to return the goods for warranty repair or replacement all you have to do is put the TV in the boot of your car and bring it back to the local store.

Most of the time Pixmania ships new from France but I wouldn't put it past them if they asked you to send a machine to the furthest corner of the EU for a warranty repair, that means Romania where I believe their customer 'service' centre is located.

I would not buy a large TV via mail order, no matter how good a deal it was.

Something that would never occur to me. Thanks for the pointer Coylemj. On the lookout for the Tesco TVs reduced if i dont get one of those will get the PC World one in Jervis. Not in a hurry to purchase really.

Thanks again,
    Regards
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

there was a bargain alert earlier about TVs ...tesco 299 I think - will try find a link

PCPhoto wrote: »
    there was a bargain alert earlier about TVs ...tesco 299 I think - will try find a link

Thanks PCPhoto. I have been following that thread closely! Can't find any of the good deals though. Will keep looking!

Thanks

Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Somnething like this or this should suit. The second had 2 HDMI ports.

Advertisement