Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Funny how we have waited years (10+ ???) for these speed cameras, and they finally arrive just when the economy is up **** creek and they need to raise money fast. :rolleyes:

Looks like the Garda website has crashed....

I wonder was it a speed related crash :D

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

Garda site down, "server too busy". Did they not expect a sh1t load of traffic to the site, on the day that the news is telling us to go there to see where new speed cameras will be located:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

A quick question.

If these vans are not Garda vans, should we ring the Gardai constantly on the basis that they are parked in the breakdown lane of a motorway. ?

I have no doubt we'll see them parked under bridges and on sliplanes which of course is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The South Ring Road in Cork beign listed just prooves this is a money making exercise.

This will just bring the government more public outrage and hasten the revolution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

So accidant black spots only ....yeah right, a cursery glance as the ones in my local area show what a joke that is.
    Anyone know if someone has made an update for the Garmin maps like they have in the UK with all the speed camera locations?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Perie

There are 4 Gatso vans in operation in the waterford area. Its easy recognise them. They are all 10 reg's, KK, KY, W and D. 1 is Red in colour, 2 White and 1 Navy. They all have what looks like a large vent at the back abouve the rear Windows above the camera. This week they have been at the entrance to the Cleaboy Business Park, Waterford. The Red ont was there on Tuesday from 7.45am - 9.45am and the White one was there today from the same times. Keep your eyes peeled everyone.:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Not Money making my ass ! Oconnell street in Dublin is on it a van parked on or adjacent to the foot path on O'Connell Street would be more dangerous to pedesterians as they are likely to try to cross in front of the stupid thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I wonder was it a speed related crash :D

no, I imagine it slowed right down before crashing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

This will just bring the government more public outrage and hasten the revolution.

Hat-wearing Tiida drivers are first up against the wall!

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote: »
    So accidant black spots only ....yeah right, a cursery glance as the ones in my local area show what a joke that is.
    Anyone know if someone has made an update for the Garmin maps like they have in the UK with all the speed camera locations?

www.irishspeedtraps.com

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Apolagies if it has been answered but what is the break down of the distribution of all these fines, ie between GoSafe, the Guards, and The Goverment. Or is this known.

Hopefully it will reduce accidents, and glad to see alot of roads in Donegal included (not picking on them, from there and drive through it regulary), but I also cant get out of my head that 'money making' and 'shooting fish in a barrel' is not up there as some of the reasons in addition to road safety why this is being rolled out when looking at some of the roads included.

I can see alot of points being racked up on alot of licences in the next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

They have the old road between leixlip and myanooth up on it , now I have no problem with that but instead of the bends or dangerous parts with no lights they pick the f*cking straight part of newer road thats lit up, the bit rated 80 but easily safe at 100 if not more , if they put cameras on the bends I wouldnt mind, but the f*cking safe part,

The RSA : turning people into ATM's since gaybo quit rte

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Drive On wrote: »
    So this unmarked van sitting at the side of the road at 11:00 this morning is going to make our roads safer or save live's is it.

Pic's taken on the N51 near Rathmore between Athboy and Navan.

Second one I've seen in two day's around Navan. Both on 80 KPH sections of straight road.
    1. I didn't say anything about that van. 2. I've no idea, without knowing the road it's impossible to say from your pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Barnagh in west Limerick on the N21 still is missing from the gardai website (http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=6497) with No speed cameras. A known location for long term black spot for accidents and it has easy locations to place speed cameras.
    I agree with the German Judge decision about his attitude about the speed cameras are for a money making exercise not for safety of Motorist..

Look at the N21 From Limerick City to Abbeyfeale. The Speed camera detection are on the best part of the road, not known accidents blackspots.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

slinky2000 wrote: »
    Seen the first one today in Dundalk. Thanks god I was driving slow in my girlfriends 1.2 and not my m3!

Hi Slinky

Where abouts in Fundalk and what did it look like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Drive On

Anan1 wrote: »
    1. I didn't say anything about that van. 2. I've no idea, without knowing the road it's impossible to say from your pics.

The van contains the camera. I know this piece of road quite well and I'm not aware of any serious / fatal accidents there over the last ten years.

Anyway this is just stealth policing of our roads which will only catch people guilty of "only" one of the many motoring offence's that occur on our roads every day.

I'd prefer to see highly visable proactive policing of our roads aimed at catching people for the equally dangerous practice of using mobiles etc. while driving.

I've even witnessed a guy in a new Citreon C5 driving while using a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Joe 90

dahamsta wrote: »
    Please provide evidence for this statement. It's nonsense, pure and simple, parrotted garbage trotted out by the likes of Gay Effing Byrne; people that don't drive.

The inclination out there, if there is one, is one of complete ignorance of the rules of the road, basic awareness, and basic geometry. If you want to fix the already low death rate caused by driving, there's one very simple solution: regular retesting. Take the licences off these idiots, get them off the road. Get the drunks, druggies and in particular the suicidal off the road while you're at it, that'll deal with the mysterious "one-car collisions" that are raising our numbers (to some of the lowest in the world).

Speed doesn't kill, bad driving kills. Stop reading red tops and educate yourself for god's sake.

adam
    Don't talk sense, a lot of people don't like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

The van contains the camera. I know this piece of road quite well and I'm not aware of any serious / fatal accidents there over the last ten years.

Anyway this is just stealth policing of our roads which will only catch people guilty of "only" one of the many motoring offence's that occur on our roads every day.

I'd prefer to see highly visable proactive policing of our roads aimed at catching people for the equally dangerous practice of using mobiles etc. while driving.

I've even witnessed a guy in a new Citreon C5 driving while using a laptop.

Do you not think that these cameras will reduce the pressure on the Gardai to catch speeders and will enable them to dedicate more resources to catching people in C5s with laptops?
    You can't automate detection of dangerous driving, laptop use, mobile use etc., but you can automate (and therefore delegate) speed detection.

I feel you're contradicting yourself here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

According to that map, the brand new road at Ballycoolin is one to the targeted zones(60kmph) despite hardly ever having a single crash. My faith in them targeting blackspots has gone downhill.

The Finglas rd(N2) from the cemetery up to the M50 is also on the list, unreal. :mad:

I notice the Belgard Road is also targeted. There is a raft of country back roads around Dublin and it appears to me hardly any are targeted.

I'd hate to be living in Navan, the entire town is surrounded by the cameras :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

Is the map down on the Garda site for anyone else? When I try to get to it, it's saying the server is untrusted and then i'm redirected to a admin protected page ???

More importantly are there cameras on the N4?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Speed cameras are yet another simplistic solution imposed by politicians who don't understand the problem. They are a means of punishing the many for the sins of the few (and making a few bucks on the side). Perhaps a bit of realism rather than political posturing here?

Speed cameras will not stop four young lads killing themselves on a country road a two o'clock in the morning. The camera vans will not be there then.

No-one wants people to die on the roads, but the road accident rate is much less than that in the home and at work. Should we have government cameras in the kitchen to make sure we are behaving ourselves and not behaving dangerously?

We can redesign roads and maintain them to a standard never seen before in Ireland, but we will not prevent an applicant for the Darwin awards from acting the idiot. That's life.

Oh, and one final point. I very strongly object to being filmed by our government and local authorities every time I step out of my house. I even more strongly object to being filmed by a private contractor hired by the government, whatever I am doing. Oh, I know about the need for law enforcement and how spying on people has halved the crime rate (??), but cops on the street and on the roads can do that too. Those cops are not machines, and they can apply discretion. They can warn or advise.

I am tempted to wonder if the reason for not going down the policing route is that it costs money rather than making it. A camera costs peanuts -- a Garda costs money that could otherwise have been spent on a junket to Bali or somewhere.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I think we should all stick to the speed limits form now on and then the revenue the hope to generate will be a lot less than the anticipated because believe me the government hope to make money out of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

More importantly are there cameras on the N4?!!

If you mean the dual carriageway, there was a Garda marked Transit inbound just before Sureweld at exit to Liffey Valley on Wednesday morning. AFAIK none of the N4 is marked as "safety camera" enforcement zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

hondasam wrote: »
    I think we should all stick to the speed limits form now on and then the revenue the hope to generate will be a lot less than the anticipated because believe me the government hope to make money out of us.
    There is alot of roads where if you stick to the speed limit you will crash and the NRA will not do anything about that. There is too many inappropriate speed limits on many of the roads, while other wide very good roads have 60kph and 50 kph well out from towns and villages on long straight stretch of roads where there is no history of accidents. The Whole Speed limits system is a joke.

-Chris- wrote: »
    Do you not think that these cameras will reduce the pressure on the Gardai to catch speeders and will enable them to dedicate more resources to catching people in C5s with laptops?
    You can't automate detection of dangerous driving, laptop use, mobile use etc., but you can automate (and therefore delegate) speed detection.

I feel you're contradicting yourself here.

They could reduce pressure on the Gardai if they are highly visable, which the two I've come accross in the last two day's weren't.

How anyone could consider the van in the pic.'s attached to my first post as making a contribution to road safety is beyond me.

The english police have been complaining for several years now that reducing the number of traffic patrols and relying on camera's has had a negative effect on road safety there, so much so that some counties in england are removing the static camera's from their road network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

They could reduce pressure on the Gardai if they are highly visable, which the two I've come accross in the last two day's weren't.

Were the speed traps you saw the Gardai operate highly visible?

-Chris- wrote: »
    Were the speed traps you saw the Gardai operate highly visible?

Sometimes.

But that's not the point. The operation of these vans is being publised as a safety campaign.

Personally I don't really care what they call them, as long as I know what to look for on the road. Which I do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

limklad wrote: »
    There is alot of roads where if you stick to , the speed limit you will crash and the NRA will not do anything about that. There is too many inappropriate speed limits on many of the roads, while other wide very good roads have 60kph and 50 kph well out from towns and villages on long straight stretch of roads where there is no history of accidents. The Whole Speed limits system is a joke.

yes I know, the country road I live on is 80 kmh but that does not mean I have to drive at that speed. motorways are 120 kmh but you are not obliged to reach this speed if you dont want to. A speed limit does not mean you have to achieve this speed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

hondasam wrote: »
    yes I know, the country road I live on is 80 kmh but that does not mean I have to drive at that speed. motorways are 120 kmh but you are not obliged to reach this speed if you dont want to. A speed limit does not mean you have to achieve this speed.

Nah but in general..ya probably should.

Otherwise the chances are you're being an awful annoying little....

*ahem*

I find it best to check and see if I'm causing a queue.

Advertisement