Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Reserve Training

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 69sparkie69

hi ian..
    haha sarkie..thats a new one..!!!! its OK..perhaps i`ve been that lately.."sarkie"....anyway, any news..??? hope that the break down on the medical was a help for you guys..as i thought, that anyone that's done it, had told us nothing off the format of it..ie. what was involved in it... so will you be getting in touch with HQ this week, with regards your application..??

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wonka

Going to Garda Camp this weekend. Will it be like Police Academy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

freddiew wrote:
    the recruitment of Reserves as the GR's have been written into the Constitution (Law) and nothing will change.

It might be law but it's not in the constitution, constitutional change requires a referendum.

wonka wrote:
    Going to Garda Camp this weekend. Will it be like Police Academy?
    so wonka..,
    So what team were you in..????

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wonka

Green team!!! you?

Wrecked today after it. woke up thinking it was saturday and looking forward to the lie-in. Ah well.

• Advertisement

hi wonka
    i was in the red team..good week end..tired myself..so what part off the country are you from..?? feckin arm is nearly wrecked..haha.. so you do any reading yet,my stuff is still in the bag..!!!..or did you get in touch with your trainer..?? i tried today..but no joy..phone just rang out..must be out in the sun..haha..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭iandromiskin

hi wonka
    i was in the red team........ feckin arm is nearly wrecked..haha..

What did you get up to on the first weekend then to warrent teams ??? Just curious. I don't think I want to know about the wreaked arm ?? Or do I ???? What did they have you doing ?? I presume it was the defensive training ???

Yeah, I must give them a shout so. Still no official word of the GR(2), but I presume having the interview with the Gard ment it was ok. I'll give them a ring after 5 as any emails responses I get are one line answers.

Anyone get the Sunday Times today ? There was a picture of the new Minster for Justice reviewing the new 39 Garda Reservists turning out at Templemore, no story just a picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Bren1609

Im going to Templmore this weekend for training. Disappointed that they didn't organise transport.

Does anyone know the link for the garda reserve forum? Can someone put it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

There was transport organised some months ago but that has all stopped now
    which is rather strange since all this is voluntary but at our expense.

• Advertisement

Yes I am on Phase 4 just have to get my 40hrs in and then attestation in Oct.

Wow. Brilliant. Then you'd obviouly know how slow the wheels grind then so. Still feels like a very long time for a check, but I'am sure it will be all worth it in the end.

There wont be another intake until Sept so you have a bit of time anyway.This is the holiday period so you can expect the whole process to really slow down from now until late August.For what it is worth from the initial interview to Phase 1 in Templemore it took me about 4 Months.Yet there were others who applied at the same time I did and they are full time reservists now.Everybody's case is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Hi,anyone know if this area is being taken on soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

What is involved in the self defense test/requirement

Hi Fred,
    Mostly Arm locks and the proper use of handcuffs and Baton. Having said that you dont really get to do them until phase three where you are tested.You get a little taster in phase 1 .A certain level of fitness is required.Left handed people have had problems in the past because they seemed to be geared up for those who are right handed.but dont unduly worry most will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Brillo_pad

does anybody know how many recruits they are looking for?

Oh, if my memory is right, I think they said something like 3000 overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

Just wondering if anybody who has completed the exam after phase 2 has any news on it, i.e. was it difficult, straightforward enough, any particular areas that I should concentrate on?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

I met people from Kildare at the medical for the reserve in March this year so they should be training already.

Hi Gilly,It is fairly straight forward really there are lots of multiple choice questions and some whereby you fill in the blanks.Concentrate on the powers of arrest and where these powers derive from ie Common Law etc also the Caution given when you arrest " You are not obliged to say anything BLA BLA BLA
    You will be fine it is not like doing your leaving cert your tutors should point out the main topics to cover<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 The Big E

When i went down in julym there were people from all over ireland in the class,going back for part three training in the end of sept, enjoying it so far. treated as an adult and with respect!

Hi leinsterdude,
    I don't think it should not be a major problem .There was somebody in my group who didn't have it either but was involved in lots of local voluntary work and he wasn't thick either.There may be some reference to it in the interview though so be prepared to sell yourself but like I said I dont think it is as a big an obstacle as you might.Bet you have loads of life experience that a piece of paper won't give you.Good luck

Thanks Batoncharge,are you in reserve now,if so where u based,and how is it so far.

I am in phase 4 completing my 40 hrs of training before attestation in Oct.I am in the Munster region.And yes it is going wonderfully well at the mo lots to learn but very enjoyable and challenging.You get to see things from the other side not all pleasant I might add.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 The Big E

Baton Charge, doing phase 2 of training,whats the phase three like.... does anyone fail it..

Good question,do you think people who fail it are just giving up interest or are there people who are trying hard but still not making the mark?
    Thanks.:cool:

To be honest I dont think they want anybody to fail it's not as if it is your full time job or anything.You learn a lot of stuff in class but it does not really sink in until you get to see it in practice.Remember you will always be in the company of a full time Garda so you wont go drastically wrong.If you take your lead from him/her you wont go wrong.This is a long learning curve so dont ever think you know it all because you dont.I think you will get out of it what you put into it and perhaps some people may not like what they see in their 40hrs of training pre attestation and opt out.I am finding it enjoyable so far hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pat1187

I am assuming you are doing your 40 hrs work experience and if you are, are you filling out the Competency Model and Tracking Forms ? It seems some of us were told to do so and some told to wait untill after we are attested.

Advertisement