Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reservists to be given a separate uniform

• 29-04-2015 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Looks like the reserves are at the forefront of yet another separate uniform motion put forward and passed by the AGSI, after 9 yrs since the introduction of the reserves you would think that they would have got over themselves and moved with the times, again ageing members on both AGSI & GRA cant see any further then their noses.

I have said this before and i am sure people are sick to their back teeth including the full time members, either make the reserve force fit for purpose or be done with it and disband it, the funny thing is 90% of reserve members have been recertified for batton and pepper spray even though they dont have any representative body, yet the GRA & AGSI who are supposed to be representing their members cant get their full time members re certified, they would rather belittle the reserve members instead of sorting the problems at their front door.

Below is an abstract from a paper article

Meanwhile, the Cork North branch called for Garda Reservists to be given a separate uniform to distinguish them from full-time gardaí.

He said similar volunteer members in other countries wear different uniforms.

Brian O’Dea of AGSI national executive backed the motion, saying reservists were not distinguishable to gardaí. The motion was passed.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/gardai-open-to-civil-action-over-lack-of-baton-training-265666.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

So when will this come into play ? Can't believe this UK don't have different uniforms, and change it how ? My only ideas are if they change the colour of the epaulettes or if there going to put Garda Reserve on the jackets or they do the blue band on the hat , and is there any way this can be rejected ?
    Like do the current reserve members have no say ?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

RUNNER 1 wrote: »
    So when will this come into play ? Can't believe this UK don't have different uniforms, and change it how ? My only ideas are if they change the colour of the epaulettes or if there going to put Garda Reserve on the jackets or they do the blue band on the hat , and is there any way this can be rejected ?
    Like do the current reserve members have no say ?

Sure who knows what will happen, at the end of the day they can say what they like they are only a representation body which cant even do that right, as per their own members dissatisfaction with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

Does the commissioner not have the final say, if im not mistaken the same motion was put forward last year and the year before.

bluetop wrote:
    Sure who knows what will happen, at the end of the day they can say what they like they are only a representation body which cant even do that right, as per their own members dissatisfaction with them.

I really can't see the current reserve members standing for this atal ,this happened 6 years ago with the blue band hat idea and that was rejected ?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Cedric87

I really can't see the current reserve members standing for this atal ,this happened 6 years ago with the blue band hat idea and that was rejected ?

It's a bad idea and it won't go ahead, maybe they should stop picking on the reserves and try and better use them.

• Advertisement

Its likely it won't be if the higher ranks agree then it will .

Its likely it won't be if the higher ranks agree then it will .

Cant see it myself as it would then put them at more risk from a health & safety outlook, most undesirables know only too well what powers reserves have and dont have it would leave them vulnerable imo.

You would think the GRA & AGSI has enough on their plate to deal with, shortage of manpower, they should be embracing the people who are willing to give their time freely and put their lives also on the line same as their fulltime collogues.

They are looking to change the uniform so that people will see a less presents on the street and make the reserve more noticeable, you would think after 9yrs they would welcome extra boots on the streets.

bluetop wrote:
    Cant see it myself as it would then put them at more risk from a health & safety outlook, most undesirables know only too well what powers reserves have and dont have it would leave them vulnerable imo.

This comes up every year as I can see from looking it up , but its never been passed before so something may happen this time but I do agree with bluetop on all your points.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Well that article is now over 1year old and nothing has changed since it was published.

re: GR uniform change. Can't help but see some positive to it. The GR epaulette can v-easily be covered by the stab-vest, well mine was anyways, and short of some 'special' folks who get up nice n close and throw a camera in your face, seldom will focus be put on the epaulettes of either GR or rank & file.
    ~ The white shirts are distinguished; let every other rank have the same blue.
    ~ The ranks of Sgt; Insp; Super; ChiefSuper are all very distinguishable to everyone.
    ~ Thinking something along the lines of a blue epaulette, similar to the training-blue epaulette, would distinguish a GR just enough imo. It wouldn't cost all that much either really.

The old nonsense of a blue band on the hat, too much. Understandable, but too much.
    ^^^ The blue epaulettes on the shirt; all jackets would distinguish from the rank n file enough for members of the public who don't notice the very little difference currently in place.

Pro & Con to having something to separate and distinguish the GardaReserves.

re: the voice of a GR carrying weight <- don't fool yourself. I attended two, on my own time, official meetings with senior officers with numerous other reserves about issues reserves were having; little to nothing changed. Two farcical meetings that wasted my time. Sounded important enough to attend; felt great walking out; utterly naive at the time thinking anything would actually change.

Attended a few non-official, certainly no-where within ear-shot of a full-timer, but the voice of a GR doesn't at present carry weight. Ideas can be put forward; agreement can be found; still a way to go though with the overall/even a majority acceptance within an organisation of so many members.

Title is mis-leading in this thread. A motion carried in a heated; backs-to-the-wall we need a majority agreement on this, kinda conference.

Just my tuppence,
    kerry4sam

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Well that article is now over 1year old and nothing has changed since it was published.

re: GR uniform change. Can't help but see some positive to it. The GR epaulette can v-easily be covered by the stab-vest, well mine was anyways, and short of some 'special' folks who get up nice n close and throw a camera in your face, seldom will focus be put on the epaulettes of either GR or rank & file.
    ~ The white shirts are distinguished; let every other rank have the same blue.
    ~ The ranks of Sgt; Insp; Super; ChiefSuper are all very distinguishable to everyone.
    ~ Thinking something along the lines of a blue epaulette, similar to the training-blue epaulette, would distinguish a GR just enough imo. It wouldn't cost all that much either really.

The old nonsense of a blue band on the hat, too much. Understandable, but too much.
    ^^^ The blue epaulettes on the shirt; all jackets would distinguish from the rank n file enough for members of the public who don't notice the very little difference currently in place.

Pro & Con to having something to separate and distinguish the GardaReserves.

re: the voice of a GR carrying weight <- don't fool yourself. I attended two, on my own time, official meetings with senior officers with numerous other reserves about issues reserves were having; little to nothing changed. Two farcical meetings that wasted my time. Sounded important enough to attend; felt great walking out; utterly naive at the time thinking anything would actually change.

Attended a few non-official, certainly no-where within ear-shot of a full-timer, but the voice of a GR doesn't at present carry weight. Ideas can be put forward; agreement can be found; still a way to go though with the overall/even a majority acceptance within an organisation of so many members.

Title is mis-leading in this thread. A motion carried in a heated; backs-to-the-wall we need a majority agreement on this, kinda conference.

Just my tuppence,
    kerry4sam

Article was sent to me sorry never noticed the date tbh, if you find this title mis-leading please feel free to change it or remove the post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Money can either be spend on thousands of new uniforms or on offering members a pay rise. :)

I didn't even look at the Date ,I thought this was NEW news unlikely its going to happen, but I agree with the blue epaulettes but changing the shirt to white would be to much I think.

Victor wrote:
    Money can either be spend on thousands of new uniforms or on offering members a pay rise.

So true .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

This is what they really want us to wear

latest?cb=20140320222040

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

What is even more annoying is that our pathetic watered down version of the Garda Reserve was allegedly modelled on the UK Specials, who are in a different stratosphere to us. They have full powers, they can patrol on their own, they can drive official Police Vehicles and even in cities like London they are given free public transport passes just like their full time colleagues, which is a serious perk particularly in somewhere like London. So while I can't speak for other European Police Forces, in the UK there is no difference whatsoever in the uniform, like us they have SC (GR) on their epaulettes, but that is it, so as per usual the AGSI or GRA are full of s**t, and have no idea what they're talking about. If the GRA or AGSI cared about policing or were actually anyway forward thinking, they would know full well that policing in this country of ours could be transformed by giving suitably trained Reserves fit for purpose powers, and allowing them to patrol on their own. However sadly like most public sector unions, they prefer to live in the dark ages, and constantly bitch and moan about how tough their lot is, and how undervalued and underpaid they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

There are times when I question whether these factions are all within the same organisation.
    Seriously, one day it will have built up so much tension & anger, it will just implode.

Is there any reason why An Garda Síochána (Guardians of the Peace btw ;) , Peace) cannot become one serious Kick-Ass Organisation with actual Peace & Harmony and unite instead of differing factions fighting their own corner :confused:

Just Curious,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Looks like the beginning of the end for the reserve, the concentration now is on providing fulltime members who can carry a full load and Be of regular and consistent help to their colleagues. Its simply not a part time job, its too serious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

crusier wrote: »
    Looks like the beginning of the end for the reserve, the concentration now is on providing fulltime members who can carry a full load and Be of regular and consistent help to their colleagues. Its simply not a part time job, its too serious!

Great to see more full time members. Also great to see hard working reservists doing two jobs..They all give what they can to help out the regulars... If your a member, you would under stand.
    Don't forget the Guards are not the only group that have voluntary members working under "serious conditions" All departments change over time...

crusier wrote: »

Yep that's why they are increasing the powers of Reserve members so they can get rid of them, that would make perfect sense "not" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

bluetop wrote: »
    Yep that's why they are increasing the powers of Reserve members so they can get rid of them, that would make perfect sense "not" :D

Except they're not are they ?

I know Commissioner has said that but nothing's happening, and nor will it until maybe next Feb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

D Trent wrote: »

I know Commissioner has said that but nothing's happening, and nor will it until maybe next Feb

Your probably right, but theres more to it then just powers, using your head and applying your support to the regulars.. Powers= court dates after a time it gets costly... You can assist all you want in an arrest. Less paper work for the moment!
    But time will tell....

D Trent wrote: »

Not that you know about ......... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ODEON123

White shirts are worn by anyone at the rank superintendent or higher so they wont do that

Advertisement