Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smallest laptop possible with a DVD drive?

• 14-02-2012 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, can you recommend a good laptop that has a DVD drive that's under 14 inch? Preferably looking for one 12 to 13".

I know 11.6" ones don't come with a DVD drive and I'm looking for the smallest, cheapest one possible, while still being decent build wise.

The laptop would only be used for college work and taking around with me (so lightness and a small screen size would be preferable)

Price wise I'm looking to spend below £400/€480. Thanks

Budget: below £400/€480

Intended use: College work, web browsing, watching movies

Mobility: This is a key factor

Warranty: Not important

What Operating System: Windows 7

Other requirements: Just a DVD drive really

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,514 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

parc wrote: »
    I know 11.6" ones don't come with a DVD drive and I'm looking for the smallest, cheapest one possible, while still being decent build wise.
    Unless you're watching DVD movies every other day or demand frequent, repetitive access to optical media, there is no point in an internal DVD drive as a requirement. Externals are relatively cheap and simple to use. In practice I wager the average user actually only uses a disc on the range of 2-3 times a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

One of these €24ish

Plus

This €394ish
    This €455
    or this €496 (Only 2GB RAM though)

I'd get this. Cuz of spec and 13.3" screen it's pushing it over budget but it has up to date CPU, lots of RAM, DVD. Modern machine that will still be up for most things in 4-5 years.

Their's these aswell but they're abit weak. Amazon have them but they're near all sold out so I linked here instead. Basic stuff only.

Their's usually a few around with the Intel B950 for a good price but I can't find one at the min.

Unless someone sees a better one...

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭parc

haha true

On my old laptop I haven't used the DVD drive for over a year, no exaggeration

So why am I asking about DVD drives?

well, I got a HP Pavilion dm1-4125ea 11.6" for £300 (living in UK atm but that's €358). It's back up to £350 now btw.

Anyway, my girlfriend gave me a CD and I went to put it in suddenly remembering that 11.6"s don't have DVD or CD drives :o

So I was going to send it back, but if it's just for college work is there much point? The spec is below, what you think?
    Featuring Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (32-bit)
    An AMD Dual-Core E-450 processor
    4GB memory for top system performance
    320 GB Hard Drive for storing all your digital files
    29.4 cm (11.6") High-Definition LED HP BrightView Display
    AMD Radeon HD 6320M graphics
    Finished in Charcoal Grey
    1 year, pick-up and return, warranty. Optional upgrade to 3 years accidental damage cover for peace of mind
    Featuring Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Integrated Webcam & Microphone

http://h40059.www4.hp.com/uk/homelaptops/product.php?id=A8J13EA&experience=direct

• Registered Users Posts: 81,514 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

spending a little more would get you a faster processor but at the price point its one of the best bangs for buck. It will match an i3 or exceed it in graphical performance (which is to say low end laptops wont have a lot of that anyway, but this will have some. Which is to say it wont keel over if you want to watch HD video or do light chores that require 3D rendering)

Advertisement