Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CPD suggestions

Options
  • 26-11-2014 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Subbing is quiet at the moment so I'm thinking to be proactive with my time, I should be reading and researching and doing courses! Unfortunately my local education centre focuses on primary level CPD and I'm in secondary. Any suggestions out there? I've come across ICEP Europe, and the courses look great. Unfortunately I just don't have the fee money at my disposal at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Subbing is quiet at the moment so I'm thinking to be proactive with my time, I should be reading and researching and doing courses! Unfortunately my local education centre focuses on primary level CPD and I'm in secondary. Any suggestions out there? I've come across ICEP Europe, and the courses look great. Unfortunately I just don't have the fee money at my disposal at the moment.

Maybe some volunteering in your local area! Like NALA for maths and english support.. or offer free grinds via vincent de paul (I think they used to organise it anyhow). Giving grinds should keep you up to speed with your subject but you'ld want to know your papers (or have a very cheap price!!)

Paying for courses is a stretch when you're unemployed. Maybe you could qualify for Springboard courses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Siobhan_d13

Armelodie, thanks for the great suggestions! I sent in a form to volunteer with Focus Ireland earlier - they have a tutoring program ongoing at the moment. If I don't get onto that, I'll look into local initiatives in my area. I've been giving grinds for years and currently giving grinds so that's helpful for me, but fairly irrelevant at an interview I think! The Springboard courses are generally for retraining... I was seriously considering an upcoming Higher Diploma in Computer Science that's starting in January. Complete change, but I'm really holding onto the teaching thing with white knuckles at the moment... Sometimes I think I should be trying so hard and just make myself available for the industries that need employees! I think I'll give it another year and then I'll bail. If there was subbing I'd be grand, I'm getting interviews so that's something... but the lack of subbing is driving me nuts. I haven't had anything in 3 weeks! :( Depending on the financial situation, ICEPE seem to have some good online CPD courses that would look good on the CV.

Ya I wouldn't be too shy about mentioning grinds but at the same time you might tie it in with subject association membership and acknowledge the difference between one-to-one grinds and classroom teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

If you have the money icep courses are well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭dalalada

Armelodie wrote: »
    Ya I wouldn't be too shy about mentioning grinds but at the same time you might tie it in with subject association membership and acknowledge the difference between one-to-one grinds and classroom teaching.

would you like to expand on this statement please, it would give me some good pointers for my first ever teaching interview i guess as i have done grinds as well while waiting for subbing? also on the 2nd point of subject association membership? what u mean by this

• Advertisement

dalalada wrote: »
    would you like to expand on this statement please, it would give me some good pointers for my first ever teaching interview i guess as i have done grinds as well while waiting for subbing? also on the 2nd point of subject association membership? what u mean by this

Well in terms of your subject the fact that you have given grinds means you are familiar with the content and the exams. Whereas someone coming out as an NQT with no teaching experience or knowledge of what the exam demands could 'potentially' be at a disadvantage.

Also as regards your subject, every subject has a subject association where there are conferences and resources provided to teachers.. e.g. the Irish Science Teachers Association http://www.ista.ie/ might cost a bit to join (NQT rates are usually cheaper!) but would show that you are involved... most have a yearly conference where teachers meet up and talk shop. It does give you a little more confidence going in to teach a class too if you've never taught the syllabus before.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭dalalada

Very good, i actually am a member of my subject association but it may have expired, would i get away with a white lie here? and in terms of the difference between one to one grinds and classroom differences what do you mean by this?

dalalada wrote: »
    Very good, i actually am a member of my subject association but it may have expired, would i get away with a white lie here? and in terms of the difference between one to one grinds and classroom differences what do you mean by this?

oOooo a white lie! That would be between you and your conscience/god so yer on yer own there. In any event its more about attending conferences or workshops than being simply a member. I got what I could out of mine then left.

Grinds vs. classroom .. compare and contrast.
    Student motivation
    group dynamics
    Mixed ability
    Discipline issues
    Contact time
    Teaching to test
    Exam knowledge awareness
    Do ya declare yer taxes for the grinds
    Parental expectations
    Student expectations
    Teacher expectations
    Conflicting teaching approaches with their regular teacher.
    !

• Registered Users Posts: 32 yellowlor

Hello, can anyone help me please.
    I applied for ICEP courses online and I can't access them at all? They are saying that I am not enrolled even though I have the receipt!
    I was also wondering if you can defer the courses in spring until the summer if you have not started them yet. Can anyone help me please, Thanks :(

Advertisement