Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pro12: Leinster vs Edinburgh, RDS, 13th Aprill, KO 7:45pm TG4/BBC Alba

• 12-04-2012 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭

LEINSTER:

15: Isa Nacewa
    14: David Kearney
    13: Fergus McFadden
    12: Gordon D'Arcy
    11: Fionn Carr
    10: Ian Madigan
    9: Isaac Boss

1: Heinke van der Merwe
    2: Sean Cronin
    3: Nathan White
    4: Damian Browne
    5: Devin Toner
    6: Rhys Ruddock
    7: Shane Jennings
    8: Jamie Heaslip CAPTAIN

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Richardt Strauss
    17: Jack McGrath
    18: Martin Moore
    19: Kevin McLaughlin
    20: Leo Auva'a
    21: Eoin Reddan
    22: Noel Reid
    23: Brendan Macken

EDINBURGH:

15: Tom Brown
    14: Lee Jones
    13: Nick De Luca
    12: Matt Scott
    11: Tim Visser
    10: Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN
    9: Chris Leck

1: Kyle Traynor
    2: Ross Ford
    3: Geoff Cross
    4: Esteban Lozada
    5: Sean Cox
    6: Stuart McInally
    7: Roddy Grant
    8: Netani Talei

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Andrew Kelly
    17: Robin Hislop
    18: Jack Gilding
    19: Grant Gilchrist
    20: David Denton
    21: Ross Rennie
    22: Phil Godman
    23: Jim Thompson

REFEREE: Peter Fitzgibbon (IRFU) , ASSISTANT REFEREES: David Wilkinson, Simon McDowell (both IRFU), 4th OFFICIAL: Gary Glennon (Leinster Rugby Referees), 5th OFFICIAL: Robbie O'Flynn (Leinster Rugby Referees), TMO: Alan Rogan (IRFU)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Martin Moore :eek: Good luck to him if he gets on. He's very young.

I assume Hagan must still be injured.

It's great how Schmidt always keeps us guessing with his selection.

Really hope for a good game from Ruddock. He's probably falling a little short of expectations this season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Edinburgh making 4 changes from their first 15 that beat Toulouse, Leinster making 12.

Is Hagan still out? I know he played against Munster but he didn't look at all right during his 10 minute cameo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Yes! I'm really excited about both Moore and Furlong. Glad Moore's getting a chance. I can't help thinking that Hagan is going to turn out to be a complete flop.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Moore was dominant against a pretty handy Munster scrum last week. He's obviously impressed the selectors. There hasn't been much mention of any sort of Hagan injury...

I also hope Reid has put THAT game behind him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Edinburgh making 4 changes from their first 15 that beat Toulouse, Leinster making 12.

Is Hagan still out? I know he played against Munster but he didn't look at all right during his 10 minute cameo.

Can't get my head around that; maybe they think that they can rest more guys next week (in Cardiff) and not get a morale-sapping hammering, whereas if they sent the reserves over to Dublin it could get ugly for them?

Strong Leinster side anyway. I'd still like to see Ferg get a run at 12, but maybe with D'Arcy putting in two good performances against Munster and Cardiff, he should keep the momentum going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

The depth in the squad is unbelieveable some times. 12 changes and all looks well and balanced on the team. Not easy to achieve.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Can't get my head around that; maybe they think that they can rest more guys next week (in Cardiff) and not get a morale-sapping hammering, whereas if they sent the reserves over to Dublin it could get ugly for them?
    6 day turnaround between Cardiff and Ulster. Might be a little too close together for the Edinburgh management to give the full team a run out in Cardiff.

They might also want to use this as something of a dress rehearsal, the same personal coming to Dublin staying in the same hotel ect

• Registered Users Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭ongarite

Nice team. I got 11 of the team right in my prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cooper.

Amazing even the reserves can play on par with Edinburgh's first team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

ah crap, I was really hoping Edinburgh would send over some mickey mouse team as there would of been a massive difference between our 2nd team and theirs and we pretty much could of secured top spot with a bonus point win this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

.ak wrote: »
    Moore was dominant against a pretty handy Munster scrum last week. He's obviously impressed the selectors. There hasn't been much mention of any sort of Hagan injury...

No he wasn't. It was pretty even from what I could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Actually although I knew who we were playing I'm only coping on to the fact that we have to play the other top 3 teams in Europe this season back to back to back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

To be fair, Edinburgh didn't have the greatest game last week and their overall Pro12 form hasn't been fantastic. Obviously their players can peak when they need it in a knockout situation but I'd be surprised if they can do it two weeks in a row.

Hagz wrote: »

Guess it's a matter of opinion, but I felt that the scrum was Leinster's only redeeming factor in that match. I was happy whenever there was a knock on as I felt our scrum was clearly ontop.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

We definitely werent dominant in the scrums imo. We did better at the end but O'Connell had come on by then.

Also though Moore looked a little sluggish, possibly overweight, but he lifted well.

Best of luck to him. Have high hopes for him in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

A little concerned by the midfield partnership. But we've clearly the better pack and by-and-large our backs are better too. EOM is still injured I'm assuming. The bonus point win would be nice, and like everyone else I figured Edinburgh would be focusing solely on the HEC and would have sent a second string side over. As it is I'll be happy enough with the win. But I've a sneaking suspicion it could be tight enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

ah crap, I was really hoping Edinburgh would send over some mickey mouse team as there would of been a massive difference between our 2nd team and theirs and we pretty much could of secured top spot with a bonus point win this week.

Bradley is obviously looking to keep a consistent selection, not a bad plan if injuries don't occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Don't really like to see Fergus McFadden at 13 and really do not like to see him along side Gordon D'Arcy, while I think he is a great winger and 12, 13 is not his position.
    Is Dom Ryan out injured? Thought he would be on the bench at least.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

Not a fan of the Darcy McFadden combination. Hasn't worked all that well in the past. They are just too alike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

They obviously rate Moore very highly, I'd have thought Jack O'Connell would be ahead of him being a year older, you could tell Moore was a excellent prospect when he played for the u-20s last year although Furlong stole his thunder a bit at the WC.

SOB's being rested a lot this season, has only 4 ML starts all season, one since christmas. I'd like to see Macken get a good half, he should be starting to make his mark in these fixtures, looking like another lost season for Conway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I find the contrast between the Moore and Reid selections incredible!! :eek:

Moore was very destructive against the Munster scrum in the A match, it was a real area of dominance for Leinster, but Reid was God awful in that game, I don't think it's harsh to say he cost us the game, aimless kick to hand possession to Munster to get a try, think he was blocked down for the other, missed 3 or 4 kicks from in front or just to the side of the post in the first 80, any of which would have won us the game, his distribution and control of the game was terrible, particularly with the boot, where we struggled to get a foothold from aimless kicking, but the forwards and backline dominated for most of the match which kept us ticking over, in short, he had a nightmare of the game.

Before the A game I posted in the match thread that the type of game Reid has will decide the outcome, and so proved to be the case. When you think about Sexton and Madigan coming through, Berquist leaving and thus not being player, McKinney retiring due to freak injury, and guys like Keatley and Tonnetti playing elsewhere, we've produce a serious amount of quality 10's, but this guy is way down the pecking order after we've developed 2 first choice 10's of our own and handed Munster and Connacht a back-up from our academy too.

I didn't want to post it in the match thread as it's harsh on a young player, but I think he's been so patchy for the A's over the last couple of seasons, that he doesn't have a future with Leinster. He reminds me of a far more erratic Contepomi, when he's good, he can be sublime, but when he's bad, he's awful. You can't gamble on a player whose form is so unpredictable.

Shame about O'Malley not making it, but it's a good backline, I think Carr is really in last chance saloon now. He hasn't reproduced the form promised that he showed with Connacht, I'd tend to give him another season due to our decreasing depth in the back 3 in the senior squad (6 in total, not including McFadden - a couple of injuries and very thin), but another season like this and he'd be out the door. I'm not sure if the Leinster coaches will give him another year though, as there's a big queue in the academy of back 3 players.

Good to see Macken and McGrath benching it too, reward for their A performances too.

Strong pack also, but that's a very strong Edinburgh team. I'd still fancy us to win.

Big game in the context that if we win this one, our league campaign is done and dusted with 1st pretty much secured, and we can focus on Heineken Cup until the play-offs come around.

Looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

[Jackass] wrote: »

Big game in the context that if we win this one, our league campaign is done and dusted with 1st pretty much secured, and we can focus on Heineken Cup until the play-offs come around.

Just for info, we need six points from three games to ensure 1st spot.

But, if we win tomorrow and better the Ospreys result in Cardiff (i.e. we win with no BP & they draw/lose, or we get a winning BP & they don't), then top spot is sealed with two games left.

COME ON CARDIFF!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Delighted to see Moore in the squad. He has just turned 21 a few weeks ago so is extremely young for a tighthead. If he can be brought along bit by bit for the next 3 years and developed, he could be a very good player at 24, around when Mike Ross will be winding down. He's someone that has stood out at every level since schools rugby and was a superb scrummager at U20 level. Furlong's emergence last season, as mentioned above, overshadowed him somewhat. If he had been fit, however, Furlong wouldn't have had nearly the same amount of game time. Whilst he's not a particularly dynamic prop, he can carry in the close exchanges without knocking on which is about as much as I'd ask for in a tighthead. Real prospect. I'm not sure he'll get on tomorrow but it definitely suggests that he's on the radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

How's Moores fitness being this season? struck me as being injury prone last year, seemed to be constantly picking up knocks in the 6N and obviously missed the JWC. One of the things that did strike me about him when I sam him is how good a footwork he had when going into contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

The front rows were v evenly matched all games I thought
    Moore was very destructive against the Munster scrum in the A match, it was a real area of dominance for Leinster

It really wasn't.

Dominance in a scrum means, at the very least, disrupting the opposition control of the ball on their own put in and providing a rock solid platform on our own put in.

It could be argued we managed the latter, but definitely not the former - so I don't see how it could be classed as "destructive" from Moore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

I don't think this really makes a huge difference to be honest. Their first team have to be focused on Ulster in 2 weeks time, even if they are sending them out in this games. Leinster to win for me

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Just for info, we need six points from three games to ensure 1st spot.

But, if we win tomorrow and better the Ospreys result in Cardiff (i.e. we win with no BP & they draw/lose, or we get a winning BP & they don't), then top spot is sealed with two games left.

COME ON CARDIFF!!!

Even if both Leinster and Ospreys get the same points points out of this weekend that pretty much seals it for Leinster too. That will keep the 10 point advantage with 2 rounds left. Ospreys can only get a maximum of 10 points from those games leaving us at worst even on points if we lose our last 2 with no bonus points. It then comes down to:

1. Games won - we'd both be on 16
    2. Points Difference - we currently have an 82 point advantage which Ospreys would be doing VERY well to beat in the remaining games.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭leonard7

edinburghs inability to field a quality 2xv team must cost them in both the rabo and H.C.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Edinburgh have no Denton, Rennie, Jacobsen, Gilchrist, or Blair all of whom would be big players for them.

Advertisement