Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Thanks for all the tips people!

I am Pyro class but don't use it much.
    Laurentius has now gone from Firelink Shrine so I'm not sure if I am able to upgrade by Pyro glove or buy other pyromancies right now.

There's a woman at the back of one of the huge pillars in the Blightown Swamp can upgrade it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

sweetie wrote: »
    Havel's armour and fire resin on my claymore, pretty intense.

This exact strategy worked (on the third try)! Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I was going to buy Bloodborne with the gory edition launching on Friday but then Dark Souls was on steam sale last for €5. I haven't played it so decided what the hey. The dark souls 2 was on sale on ps plus for €25 so I bought that too. Hopefully by the time I'm finished with these Bloodborne will have reduced in price slightly. So some good deals out there on Dark souls folks.

Anyway my question is this. Never played a dark souls or demon souls game. I've watched videos etc so know what I'm up against which is grand but I've heard on the prepare to die edition there's mods for frame rate and resolution.

Is it generally advised putting these on or can it **** up the game with freezing or crashing or that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

I was going to buy Bloodborne with the gory edition launching on Friday but then Dark Souls was on steam sale last for €5. I haven't played it so decided what the hey. The dark souls 2 was on sale on ps plus for €25 so I bought that too. Hopefully by the time I'm finished with these Bloodborne will have reduced in price slightly. So some good deals out there on Dark souls folks.

Anyway my question is this. Never played a dark souls or demon souls game. I've watched videos etc so know what I'm up against which is grand but I've heard on the prepare to die edition there's mods for frame rate and resolution.

Is it generally advised putting these on or can it **** up the game with freezing or crashing or that?

dsfix is what you want, that's really the only one. it doesn't **** anything up, except sometimes if you sit down at a bonfire and try to get back up immediately (before the golden fog has dissipated), the menus wont appear and you'll have to restart the game. that's pretty rare though, only happened to me two or three times iirc in 300 hours

strelok wrote: »
    dsfix is what you want, that's really the only one. it doesn't **** anything up, except sometimes if you sit down at a bonfire and try to get back up immediately (before the golden fog has dissipated), the menus wont appear and you'll have to restart the game. that's pretty rare though, only happened to me two or three times iirc in 300 hours

That's grand I'll google it later and if I have a question I'll post it up.

I didn't want to do it if it causes problems just for the sake of a prettier game. That said the frame rate would be the part I'm more concerned for. 30fps for a game like this wouldn't be ideal.

Anyway cheers I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions to come. The game sounds brutal in its challenge. Old school master system/Megadrive levels or toughness don't fail me now lol.

Can't wait to start it tonight. Hope the dsfix doesn't take too long to install etc..

Edit... This post made the thread page come to 666 on my phone. Spooky.

• Advertisement

There is at least one jump you can't make if the game isn't in 30 fps and iv think there is one ladder that is bugged too. Other than that you're golden, the game is so much better at 60fps, dark souls 3 will hopefully be unlocked by a modder in a similar fashion.

There is at least one jump you can't make if the game isn't in 30 fps and iv think there is one ladder that is bugged too. Other than that you're golden, the game is so much better at 60fps, dark souls 3 will hopefully be unlocked by a modder in a similar fashion.

I'm assuming that you can go a different route around where that jump/s can't be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

well Bloodborne GOTY inc DLC is currently 31.50 on the canadian psn store.

So envious of another souls virgin, I played through them all this past year. Enjoy the madness!

sweetie wrote: »
    well Bloodborne inc DLC is currently 31.50 on the canadian psn store.

So envious of another souls virgin, I played through them all this past year. Enjoy the madness!

I haven't played the original Bloodborne yet. Was too busy with Destiny and a few Wii U titles in the past 12 months or so tbh so goty will suit when I do get round to it which could be a while away now lol.

Having not played them though I really couldn't say no to dark souls 1&2 at the prices i got them at.

As for being a DS virgin yup sounds likely I'm in a lucky situation. Very late to the game but better late than never eh.

I'm assuming that you can go a different route around where that jump/s can't be made.

No you will have to press backspace to disable the fps unlock and then reenable it after the jump.

I don't want to spoil anything but Google
    return to undead asylum
    after you have rung the first bell of awakening

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Folks need some help with this, I have managed to get to the final boss Lord gywn but I just can't kill him

Most other bosses up to him have been easy enough, my character is pure meelee. I have put no souls into magic stats, I have the black knight halberd at plus 5 and havels armour set

I ****ed myself over by killing the guy that gives Iron flesh because I know look at youtube videos hes easy with this spell bu I dont think this can be gotten anywhere else.

My stats are , endurance 37, strength 35 and Vitality 35

For the most part I havent levelled up much of anything else, help please

I had to switch weapons and learn how to parry to fight Gwyn :(

Baiting his grab attack is fairly solid, you need solid dodging though, I'd say you're a heavy character.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Folks need some help with this, I have managed to get to the final boss Lord gywn but I just can't kill him

Most other bosses up to him have been easy enough, my character is pure meelee. I have put no souls into magic stats, I have the black knight halberd at plus 5 and havels armour set

I ****ed myself over by killing the guy that gives Iron flesh because I know look at youtube videos hes easy with this spell bu I dont think this can be gotten anywhere else.

You're in the same position I found myself in. I ditched havels armour in the end and used a full black knight set - there will be plenty of em on the way to gwyn.I finally beat him by keeping my distance and attacking with my halberds when he went to grab me. There's a mound of rock to the left when you enter the arena that you can put between you and him to get a bit of breathing room to swig an estus flask.

I found it to be nearly the hardest fight in the game as he gives you very little room to manoeuvre. My heart was in my mouth when I finally beat him.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Use the big pillar on the left of the room. He can't hit you through it. And keep circling. If you need more help pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Page 666 (on mobile)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Gwyn is easy enough once you learn to parry him. Once you get that down he should drop pretty quickly. Kind of annoying though that hes the only boss where it's really needed.

I should really unfollow this thread. PTSD.

I should really unfollow this thread. PTSD.

I love this thread, I feel it's like a burden of duty to stand by and help others through the misfortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Never learned to parry or dodge Gwyn. I just blocked. If you have one of the best shields, everything he has can be blocked except the grab thingy he does.

I finally got past the first boss albeit in a sweat.

2 hours of essentially learning the controls and putting the sword in the right hand so I could plunge at him off the ledge was a big help.

I've died more times than I can count and that's just learning basic controls. :eek:

A million hours later I might have got past the next boss. :P

• Advertisement

The start of the game is much harder than the end, once you've 6 or 7 hours down your hit your stride and you'll be frying, that's when the game becomes really really great.

The start of the game is much harder than the end, once you've 6 or 7 hours down your hit your stride and you'll be frying, that's when the game becomes really really great.

Thats what I was kind of hoping for alright.

Getting used to how your character moves etc isn't something these days that we often have to learn so it's frustrating but dare I say refreshingly frustrating.

It'll be interesting to see how I'm fairing in another 4-5 hours.

Now it's just getting the time to play the blooming game.

The best advice I could give to a new player is to spend all your souls ASAP. I got stuck in plenty of times because I didn't level up and lost my souls repeatedly. This meant going back to the bonfire and starting the whole section over again, as long I level'd up.

The best advice I could give to a new player is to spend all your souls ASAP. I got stuck in plenty of times because I didn't level up and lost my souls repeatedly. This meant going back to the bonfire and starting the whole section over again, as long I level'd up.

I'm going to look at this end of things tonight when I hope to get a good 2 hour run at it. I was kinda just fixated with killing that first boss so I felt a bit better about myself. Lol

I'm going to look at this end of things tonight when I hope to get a good 2 hour run at it. I was kinda just fixated with killing that first boss so I felt a bit better about myself. Lol

if you can get to the bonfire in the undead burg, that'll be a good start for you, you'll be able to do farming runs on those low level lads and give yourself a but of a leg up. They're also the easiest enemies to learn how to parry, block etc. they'll still be well able to kill you mind, so don't underestimate them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

Still can't kill that ****er gwyn

Ok so I think i did something silly last night. I hit the merchant near undeadsburg it seems (accidentily, I thought he was an enemy) he then became hostile and even with resetting bonfires he was still hostile so I killed him in frustration. (I'd had a few beers, lol)

Now I can't buy bombs so I'm finding the Taurus boss tough.

I'll get another go at it later and reckon I can do it by running up the ladder and plunging at him, wash and repeat if I can manage to get up the ladder before he hits me. I couldn't time this last night due to the aforementioned beer.

Anyway am I screwed or is it possible still?

Cheers

Ok so I think i did something silly last night. I hit the merchant near undeadsburg it seems (accidentily, I thought he was an enemy) he then became hostile and even with resetting bonfires he was still hostile so I killed him in frustration. (I'd had a few beers, lol)

Now I can't but bombs so I'm finding the Taurus boss tough.

I'll get another go at it later and reckon I can do it by running up the ladder and plunging at him, wash and repeat if I can manage to get up the ladder before he hits me. I couldn't time this last night due to the aforementioned beer.

Anyway am I screwed or is it possible still?

Cheers

you can beat the game naked, using only your fists so yeah it's possible still. the undead merchant sells a few handy things for the early game but anything he sells that's relevant for later in the game I'm pretty sure you can pick up from anothe merchant down the way

you can beat the game naked, using only your fists so yeah it's possible still. the undead merchant sells a few handy things for the early game but anything he sells that's relevant for later in the game I'm pretty sure you can pick up from anothe merchant down the way

Ok thanks for that. I was the last part I was most worried about tbh. I assumed it was possible to beat the Taurus demon without him but I read somewhere online he sold a bow that would be useful. If you can buy most other stuff later then that's grand. Cheers.

Now note to self. Don't play dark souls half cut as it is easy to mistake important merchants for enemies.

I'm 7 hours into the game and only at the 2nd boss. For €5 on steam sale I think I'm gonna get my monies worth here.

Loving it so far.

I've been levelling up strength and vitality so far.

Any stats that I shouldn't ignore? I was just thinking more health and power made sense.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks for that. I was the last part I was most worried about tbh. I assumed it was possible to beat the Taurus demon without him but I read somewhere online he sold a bow that would be useful. If you can buy most other stuff later then that's grand. Cheers.

Now note to self. Don't play dark souls half cut as it is easy to mistake important merchants for enemies.

I'm 7 hours into the game and only at the 2nd boss. For €5 on steam sale I think I'm gonna get my monies worth here.

Loving it so far.

I've been levelling up strength and vitality so far.

Any stats that I shouldn't ignore? I was just thinking more health and power made sense.

it depends on the weapons you want to use tbh. generally the heavier slower swinging weapons benefit from strength, so you'd level strength and vitality so you can power the swing into your opponent and have enough health to handle their counter attack while you recover

faster lower damage weapons tend to be Dex weapons, so you'd level up dex and endurance so you can nip in swing swing swing and then have enough stamina left to nip out without being hit

you know how to check your weapons and equipments stat requirements yeah? the best way to do it is to settle on a weapon (or two) that you like and level up to get the best out of them. on the topic of stats to ignore, never level resistance. just don't. it's useless. waste of souls.

oh, and im sure this will make you feel better, taurus is the first boss. no one counts the asylum demon :p

Advertisement