Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Ghandee wrote: »
    I think Hogan should resign.

Whether or not he believes he should or should not doesn't matter, force him to resign.
    His actions, and revelations are giving FG an extremely bad look IMO.

I hope someone investigates his penthouse in Portugal.
    Does he rent it out?
    Does he accept payment from family members etc?
    It should be declared if he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Ghandee wrote: »
    I think Hogan should resign.

Whether or not he believes he should or should not doesn't matter, force him to resign.
    His actions, and revelations are giving FG an extremely bad look IMO.

A bad look, what? Lying, hypocritical, and as far removed from everyday reality as is possible. Sure they have been that way since before they got into government

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

A bad look, what? Lying, hypocritical, and as far removed from everyday reality as is possible. Sure they have been that way since before they got into government

Might as well be Fianna Fail.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

I wonder what the correlation between the Household charge and the Fiscal Compact Treaty is?

I presume the Pay the charge people are generally the Vote Yes people, and the Don't register, Don't pay crowd are also the Vote No people?

The outcome of the household charge bodes well for the government if my analysis is correct (on the basis of my purely personal view that we are headed for at least 70% compliance on the HH charge before any enforcement really kicks in).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Might as well be Fianna Fail.....

they might as well be, thats the problem, they are more interested in patting each other on the back over the weekend, then solving the problems of the country.

Just in case you think I am of a politcal persuasion, my answer to the problems we have at present is a National Government, made up of the best of all parties and independents elected to the dail, to work together, rather than more of the civil war politics we continue to see,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,484 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I was aware of the legal requirement on solicitors to ensure that the charge is paid when conveyancing property but it seems this also extends to auctioneers and estate agents accepting properties for sale. From my reading of it they would have to have proof that the property was in compliance before accepting it on their books.

http://www.landlordsonline.ie/2012/03/agents-could-face-prosecution-if-their-clients-fail-to-pay-the-household-nppr-charges/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

alastair wrote: »
    I really don't care how embarrassed Phil Hogan might or might not be. Nor do I care about your sockpuppet paranoia, or leech nonsense. That help?

Well let me tell YOU mister, I DO care. No bastard is going to go on tv and tell me I'm unpatriotic because I ddint' pay this charge, and then next morning, we discover he's doing the exact same thing himself in another country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I wonder what the correlation between the Household charge and the Fiscal Compact Treaty is?

I presume the Pay the charge people are generally the Vote Yes people, and the Don't register, Don't pay crowd are also the Vote No people?

The outcome of the household charge bodes well for the government if my analysis is correct (on the basis of my purely personal view that we are headed for at least 70% compliance on the HH charge before any enforcement really kicks in).

If your analysis is correct, then maybe. But with the property charge, people were in many cases, likely scared into paying. They probably wouldnt feel as bullied into voting yes.

I was aware of the legal requirement on solicitors to ensure that the charge is paid when conveyancing property but it seems this also extends to auctioneers and estate agents accepting properties for sale. From my reading of it they would have to have proof that the property was in compliance before accepting it on their books.

http://www.landlordsonline.ie/2012/03/agents-could-face-prosecution-if-their-clients-fail-to-pay-the-household-nppr-charges/

Proper order.

It's a mere Eur111 (now) that has to be paid, which is a fraction of the likely professional costs. It is totally appropriate that it should be brought up to date before any transaction takes place on the property of a defaulter.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    If your analysis is correct, then maybe. But with the property charge, people were in many cases, likely scared into paying. They probably wouldnt feel as bullied into voting yes.

No so sure. I'd say some were more bullied into not paying. The No campaign are generally more vocal on these matters (indeed this forum itself is a good example).

• Advertisement

robbie7730 wrote: »

I don't know anyone who was scared into paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Anyone watching The Week in Politics? Enda Kenny is on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Govt might just have angered a lot of people particularly the elderly with their scare tactics. Many of them paid the Household Tax through fear and might be waiting in the long grass come Referendum time. It might excite a lot of people to see Enda do the "walk of shame" back to apologise to Angela and promise her Referendum Two. Would take the cockiness out of him.
    Never count your chickens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

hondasam wrote: »

No disrespect HondaSam

This site lists every estate thats exempt. I am wondering what concessions You got from what LA as we wish to use it as ammunition in our battle with KCC/DOE.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

hondasam wrote: »
    Anyone watching The Week in Politics? Enda Kenny is on now.

He looks very uncomportable. And totally avoided the point that the fair and equitable property tax is going to be substantially higher than €100.

I know loads who paid through fear.

The Govt might just have angered a lot of people particularly the elderly with their scare tactics. Many of them paid the Household Tax through fear and might be waiting in the long grass come Referendum time. It might excite a lot of people to see Enda do the "walk of shame" back to apologise to Angela and promise her Referendum Two. Would take the cockiness out of him.

What scare tactics and why the elderly particularly?

No so sure. I'd say some were more bullied into not paying. The No campaign are generally more vocal on these matters (indeed this forum itself is a good example).

Well if 800,000 paid as an example, its unlikely that would be made up from 800,000 yes to the property tax people. I am sure many paid but felt strongly that it was an unfair charge.

Its hard to see someone that said no to paying it and didnt pay, then voting yes i should of paid it (taking your analysis of yes to HC = yes to treaty), but was bullied into not paying it, the bullying method being led to believe that the charges will be much higher in future years.

Its hard to know though.

Mark me down on this one. The Irish are brighter than you are giving them credit for. They will not bite the hand that feeds them. I'll guarantee you that the Fiscal Compact carries at least 60:40 (and maybe more). It's home and dry, & for once in my life I'll absolutely count my chickens.

I'm deliberately sticking my neck out on this so that you can come back to compliment my on the night of the count.

This country is turning a corner. The broadening of the tax base that we have seen this weekend is a really positive development and really gives hope that we can function as a sovereign nation once more.

Had you watched News items you would have seen many elderly people who said they paid because they were afraid of fines etc. Loads of callers to Phone Ins too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

The older people are in general more nervous of owing money. A representative from the Citizens Information Centre was on the radio talking about he elderly population ringing them in great numbers who are very concerned. She stated that many of them are in credit with the likes of ESB and Bord Gaie etc.

If I have to call it now, I would say the majority will vote yes. People will say they will not but on the day they will run scared and vote yes.

Mark me down on this one. The Irish are brighter than you are giving them credit for. They will not bite the hand that feeds them. I'll guarantee you that the Fiscal Compact carries at least 60:40 (and maybe more). It's home and dry, & for once in my life I'll absolutely count my chickens.

I'm deliberately sticking my neck out on this so that you can come back to compliment my on the night of the count.

This country is turning a corner. The broadening of the tax base that we have seen this weekend is a really positive development and really gives hope that we can function as a sovereign nation once more.

You should give Paddy Power a visit so.
    I am not saying you are wrong either but we have a habit of voting No in Referendums first time, that's why i'm not ruling it out. That and the anger factor.

Jaysus whoever put on Enda's face paint made a right balls of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

With the amount of revenue.ie links you posted on here, I find that very hard to believe.

I am not saying you are wrong either but we have a habit of voting No in Referendums first time, that's why i'm not ruling it out. That and the anger factor.

I think yes is 3 to 1 on?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

I was just wondering...

when a 'fair and equitable' version of this tax is introduced next year - one which is high for big expensive houses and low for small cheap houses then what will the left have to complain about...

...because, lets face it, they'll have to complain about something...

I'm looking forward to that debate already...

I don't think the size of your house should matter.

And then a second referendum is held if the first one is not the answer that was wanted, in our democracy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    He looks very uncomportable. And totally avoided the point that the fair and equitable property tax is going to be substantially higher than €100.

By all accounts so far, the lowest quote I've seen so far, is around €400+ it will rise to.
    Some have said higher but we will have to wait and see...

(If FG and labour is still in power by the time much higher rates kick in)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement