Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quotas for Female Politicians in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

panda100 wrote: »
    I don't understand why people are so vehmentally opposed to the idea of gender quota's when our electoral system is so grossly unfair as it is?

The problem with quotas are:
    1. It's undemocratic. Instead of looking purely at who the best people are for a job, we can only look for the best woman (or man in the cases that the quota swings the other way), who may or may not be the same person. If this were applied in any other career, there would be a lawsuit for discrimination.
    2. It's arbritrary. Nobody has proven that politics would improve just because women were in it.
    3. If we apply quotas to politics, shouldn't we also apply them to teaching, nursing, construction workers, etc? If not, why not?
    4. If we apply quotas based on the presence/absence of a particular chromosome (this one), then why not also apply them based on employment history, education, etc? Most politicians these days are 3rd level graduates who come from public service. There are very few PAYE workers, as well as those who didn't go to college. These groups are even more affected by the 5 C's than the homogenous group "woman."
    5. Single issue parties would be discriminated against. If, say, Fathers for Justice wanted to run candidates to try and get some parental rights established for them, they'd be hard pressed to find women candidates that they'd be forced to somehow find. Similarly if a feminist movement wanted to form a party to push women's issues, they'd find it difficult to find male candidates.

I've no issues with an individual political party wanting to do it voluntarily (like how the Scandinavian countries do it)...it's being forced to do it that I object to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

I have no problem with mandatory gender quotas being introduced so long as similar qoutas are introduced to ensure:

A) There is an appropriate quota for ethnic minorities in DE
    B) An appropriate quota is introduced for the the various religions
    C) That each socio-economic group are represented with an appropriate qouta for each segment
    D)A appropriate qouta is introduced to reflect the LGBT population

It's clear that each group outlined above and their 'issues' will only be adequately represented in national political discourse by having seats in our democratically elected parliament reserved for them.

I have no problem with mandatory gender quotas being introduced so long as similar qoutas are introduced to ensure:

A) There is an appropriate quota for ethnic minorities in DE
    B) An appropriate quota is introduced for the the various religions
    C) That each socio-economic group are represented with an appropriate qouta for each segment
    D)A appropriate qouta is introduced to reflect the LGBT population

It's clear that each group outlined above and their 'issues' will only be adequately represented in national political discourse by having seats in our democratically elected parliament reserved for them.

And an appropriate quota is based on (natural) hair colour, eye colour, height, weight, shoe size etc.? :D

If we're introducing quotas for one arbritrary group, why not them all?

If we're introducing quotas for one arbritrary group, why not them all?

Which is my point exactly, if we go down th e road to pander to one interest group, then why not all of them? if people feel that they are not being well represented by their elected reps then they can stand themselves or vote for someone else who they feel does best represent them.

I find it offensive that one particular lobby group (Irish womens council in their submission to the Joint Ctte. on electoral reform) has the audacity to demand that we not only introduce state enforced quota's for female representation, but that a state sponsored fund should be established to promote female politicians! what a joke.

I have no love for our current political system or its actors, but the idea of implementing by statutory instrument measures to favour one group over the other is tin pot dictatorship territory. The only criteria that should apply to anyone who wants to stand for DE is

1) hold Irish citizenship
    2) don't be bankrupt or have a criminal record
    3)be resident in the country

The rest is up to the electorate, for better or worse they decide who gets elected, not shadowy pressure groups or quangos.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

While I'm not in favour of quotas for our political representatives, I don't think things can stay the way they are. We all lose when there are barriers to entry for certain groups in society because that necessarily means that potentially excellent candidates don't make it through. It's the very same as the argument for why we all lose out with global poverty. Think of the hundreds of Einsteins who spend their whole lives working on a farm in sub-Saharan Africa.

So the barriers to women entering public office have to be identified and removed.

• Advertisement

taconnol wrote: »
    So the barriers to women entering public office have to be identified and removed.

I doubt you'll find anybody disagreeing with you on that. In the same way the barriers to the poor and PAYE workers entering public office have to be identified and removed.

If they turn out to be the same thing, so much the better!

taconnol wrote: »

Why does it have to be specifically barriers for women that have to be identified and removed? like practically every other democracy in western Europe (inc. ones with high and low levels of gender balance) elected office in Ireland is generally the preserve of those from the middle & upper classes, a handful of professions, captains of industry, elite schools and political dynasties.

Just because its a Gillian Bowler instead of a Brian Lenihan, or an Ivana Bacik rather then an Eamon Ryan, they are still the same people from the same backgrounds making decisions/looking after the same special interests.

I'm well up for getting more people active in politics full stop and changing the status quo, but introducing gender qoutas and holding it up as a sign of progress when we're stuck with the same old parties and policies, well that's just nonsense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Why does it have to be specifically barriers for women that have to be identified and removed? like practically every other democracy in western Europe (inc. ones with high and low levels of gender balance) elected office in Ireland is generally the preserve of those from the middle & upper classes, a handful of professions, captains of industry, elite schools and political dynasties.
    I don't think anyone is arguing that other barriers, ie those of class and wealth mustn't also be tackled, but I don't see the existence of other barriers as a reason not to tackle gender barriers.

I do hope as a society we are capable of at least a small bit of multi-tasking - (or maybe we need more women for that :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Sorry to drag up an old thread, I just have a question from reading this thread that I think is most suited to here and doesn't warrant its own thread.

With all the talk of quotas and methods to increasing the no. of women in political life in Ireland I have to ask why this is necessary? Why is it so important to specifically have more women in politics? I'd be interested to hear people's opinions as it's an issue that hasn't been dealt with much in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Piste wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up an old thread, I just have a question from reading this thread that I think is most suited to here and doesn't warrant its own thread.

With all the talk of quotas and methods to increasing the no. of women in political life in Ireland I have to ask why this is necessary? Why is it so important to specifically have more women in politics? I'd be interested to hear people's opinions as it's an issue that hasn't been dealt with much in this thread.

I'd say the main issue is that women make up such a large proportion of the country and yet are incredibly under-represented in politics.
    I'm not a big fan of the "We wouldn't be in a recession if the Dáil wasn't a bunch of middle aged white men" claim, but there's clearly something fairly wrong when a group as large as women isn't being seen on a political level.
    As Ireland is a representative democracy, I'd be very interested in seeing more women take a greater role in it as they face their own trials and tribulations which men don't (maternity leave for example) and I'd say it'd be good for Ireland to have this input.

However, I don't think that increasing the amount of women in the Dáil will automatically lead to a higher standard. For every Joan Burton there is a Beverly Cooper Flynn. I do think it will lead to greater diversity within Ireland which isn't something to be sniffed at.

I don't think gender quotas are the way to go but clearly something needs to be looked at: why are women so under-represented and what can be done about it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

there should be more women in politics but then again there should be more male primary school teachers and male nurses and female postal workers or refuse collectors

genders tend to gravitate towards certain roles for a whole variety of reasons and there will always be imbalances in certain professions

the fact is that as long as there is no legislative barrier impeding people from going for these jobs then you can't really complain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

The problem with quotas are:

1. It's undemocratic.
    The problem with democracy is that majority rule can marginalise the minority, sometimes out of existence.

30 years ago, the majority believed that gay was a disease, which meant that the democratic system was supporting horrendously discriminatory laws against gay people. It took a lot of work by some very courageous gay people to change all that.

My point is that, in a democracy, an unnatural norm can become self-sustaining. Just because the majority believes something to be true, and hence are able to enforce their beliefs through the democratic system, doesn't make them right. And their ability to enforce their beliefs can make change very very difficult to achieve.

EDIT: (I've just realised that what I've said above could be misread) Do I believe that there is a fundamental misogyny in Irish politics that is at the root of the problem? The answer to that is - I don't know - I'm not that heavily involved in politics myself. What I do know is that there is a problem, and that gender quotas are probably a good way of getting at that fundamental problem.
    2. It's arbritrary. Nobody has proven that politics would improve just because women were in it.
    Your point being? It is also true that no-one has proven that politics would disimprove if there were more women. And it is true that no-one has proven that politics would disimprove if men were banned etc etc etc.
    3. If we apply quotas to politics, shouldn't we also apply them to teaching, nursing, construction workers, etc?
    There is a fundamental difference between politics and pretty much every other profession, namely that politics is how we organise society. If it is how we organise society, then it needs to be reflective of society.
    4. If we apply quotas based on the presence/absence of a particular chromosome (this one), then why not also apply them based on employment history, education, etc? Most politicians these days are 3rd level graduates who come from public service. There are very few PAYE workers, as well as those who didn't go to college. These groups are even more affected by the 5 C's than the homogenous group "woman."
    Before I answer that one, I want to outline the kind of quota system I would like to see in place. It is one where something like 30% of the candidates had to be female. Note - that's 30% of the candidates, not the TDs - the TDs still need to be elected by the public! Note also that it's 30% of the candidates taken from 50% of the population - I don't think that's too much to ask! If a political party cannot find 30% qualified candidates from 50% of the population, then I think there is something wrong with that party.

Now to answer your question - yes, I think there is merit in candidate quotas for other grossly underrepresented sections of society. Of course, there are only a few subsections of society that are large enough to make quotas work - women, people who didn't get a 3rd level education, and paye workers are three. As for other minorities, what some governments do is have a minister for minorities.
    5. Single issue parties would be discriminated against. If, say, Fathers for Justice wanted to run candidates to try and get some parental rights established for them, they'd be hard pressed to find women candidates that they'd be forced to somehow find. Similarly if a feminist movement wanted to form a party to push women's issues, they'd find it difficult to find male candidates.
    I'd wholeheartedly support Fathers for Justice. Why? Because I love men - and I think F4J have very valid points. I know some men who have experienced the kinds of injustices that F4J are campaigning against, and it is plain wrong. Could I be a candidate for them? Yes, though my real passions are elsewhere, so I might not be the best female candidate they could find. And I've no doubt at all that there are plenty of women who are deeply personally affected by those injustices (e.g. the men's sisters, second wives, daughters, cousins etc) who would make excellent candidates.

If a feminist organisation can't find men who support women's issues, then it becomes even more important that gender quotas are introduced, otherwise women's issues are in danger of being completely marginalised.
    I've no issues with an individual political party wanting to do it voluntarily (like how the Scandinavian countries do it)...it's being forced to do it that I object to.
    We are all forced into things that are uncomfortable for us - paying taxes, for instance. Usually, however, there is good reason behind what it is we are forced to do.

My point is that, in a democracy, an unnatural norm can become self-sustaining. Just because the majority believes something to be true, and hence are able to enforce their beliefs through the democratic system, doesn't make them right. And their ability to enforce their beliefs can make change very very difficult to achieve.
    Hmmm - I should probably say a bit more about that.

Do I believe that there is a fundamental misogyny in Irish politics that is at the root of the problem? The answer to that is - I don't know - I'm not that heavily involved in politics myself. What I do know is that there is a problem, and that gender quotas are probably a good way of getting at that fundamental problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Yeh, let's have more women TDs, more traveller TDs, more non-national TDs, more non-Catholic TDs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Nolanger wrote: »
    more non-Catholic TDs...

If only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Piste wrote: »

I don't think it is necessary. It would be refreshing to see but necessary, I'm not convinced. I don't need people who 'represent' me to be just like me, and if that was a quality that was required for democratic representation then I can't imagine who the current lot are representing :P

It would be nice of course to have a balance but a quota gets the biggest possible thumbs down from me. Being the 'token women', because that's what they would be in principle, would undermine their position no end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Yeh, let's have more women TDs, more traveller TDs, more non-national TDs, more non-Catholic TDs...

+1. The government should reflect the people it represents. At the moment, it reflects only middle-aged, wealthy,Catholic men, whereas Irish society is much more diverse than this.

I do find it hypocritical that this issue is so opposed, especially in our media. Last year we saw the entry into medicine made far easier and radically changed to allow more men to enter the profession. If we allow society to alter the rules, in favour of men, in order to recruit our medical proffesionals, whats the difference in allowing women a helping hand to enter politics?

Its just insanely sexist that the one profession that has changed its rules in order to benefit gender balance is the most prestigious profession in the country. A concentrated effort should be made to actively encourage men into teaching and nursing too. Just as women should be encouraged into the political sphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Reverse Sexism still is still sexism.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

A concentrated effort should be made to actively encourage men into teaching and nursing too. Just as women should be encouraged into the political sphere.
    World of a difference between encouraging and enforcing.

Last year we saw the entry into medicine made far easier and radically changed to allow more men to enter the profession.
    Is that true? Thought it was to get more people (including women) who didn't get an A+ result in subjects like Geography because they didn't receive enough grinds or went to a bad school?

• Advertisement

Reverse Sexism still is still sexism.
    Since when is it sexist to say that if your profession is representing the people, and your representation of 50% of the people is 20%, there is something wrong with you that needs to be fixed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

+1. The government should reflect the people it represents. At the moment, it reflects only middle-aged, wealthy,Catholic men, whereas Irish society is much more diverse than this.

I do find it hypocritical that this issue is so opposed, especially in our media. Last year we saw the entry into medicine made far easier and radically changed to allow more men to enter the profession. If we allow society to alter the rules, in favour of men, in order to recruit our medical proffesionals, whats the difference in allowing women a helping hand to enter politics?

Its just insanely sexist that the one profession that has changed its rules in order to benefit gender balance is the most prestigious profession in the country. A concentrated effort should be made to actively encourage men into teaching and nursing too. Just as women should be encouraged into the political sphere.
    That was never the purpose of the HPAT - it was to take the pressure off students from pushing for 600 points. Boys just happened to do better. Moreover, there are many scholarships for women in science/engineering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Is that true? Thought it was to get more people (including women) who didn't get an A+ result in subjects like Geography because they didn't receive enough grinds or went to a bad school?

The deans of Irish medical schools made it pretty clear the change was due to gender imbalance.Heres what two of them said:
    Professor of Academic Medicine and Director of Undergraduate Teaching and Learning at Trinity College, Prof Shaun McCann, said one of the aims of changing the entry system to medical school was to adjust the gender balance. “From the [medical] profession’s point of view, a 50/50 mix is desirable,” he said.
    Foundation Head of the Graduate Entry Medical School at the University of Limerick, Prof Paul Finucane, said: “The pendulum had swung too far in favour of females. It’s important we have a system that doesn’t disadvantage males in the way that 40 to 50 years ago, it disadvantaged females.

I got into medical school through the leaving cert point system ,but I actually do agree with the HPAT system. Its a lot more fairer and a better way to assess ability. However, I find it incredibly sexist and unfair that no effort would be made to alter the rules of entry to a proffession If it was a male dominated one, for example politics.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I agree, but politics is a different beast to other careers. Qualifications(as we all know) mean squat. Plus someone puts themselves forward and then gets voted by their peers. Rather than quotas, which IMHO are utterly daft for any group in politics, the individual parties must endeavour to groom, support and put forward female candidates. At that point its up to the electorate.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

However, I find it incredibly sexist and unfair that no effort would be made to alter the rules of entry to a proffession If it was a male dominated one, for example politics.
    Are they doing the same for courses like occupational therapy and primary teaching or is it just for medicine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭PopUp

Are they doing the same for courses like occupational therapy and primary teaching or is it just for medicine?

Yes, the government has an initiative to get more men into primary teaching.

Medicine is thus far the only course to actually change its entry requirements deliberately because a purely gender-blind admissions system (the CAO) was resulting in 'too many' women though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭ORLY?

PopUp wrote: »
    Yes, the government has an initiative to get more men into primary teaching.

Medicine is thus far the only course to actually change its entry requirements deliberately because a purely gender-blind admissions system (the CAO) was resulting in 'too many' women though.

Nonsense. It did work out that way for a year, and many have come out and said that they are happy about it for various reasons.

It came in with a number of other changes into med entry incluing having to matriculate and get all your points in one year, to make a more fine grained selection process so that the best were actually being selected and to ensure that it wasn't necessary to repeat to get in.

The HPAT or something in addition to the leaving was inevitable, cut-offs just kept going up. What was it to be in a few years, a lottery between all those on 600?

Also, it is hard to argue against extra metrics of peoples intelligence, problem solving skills or ability to think under pressure. Take for example someone who gets 575 in the leaving and another who gets 580. That's the difference of one incorrectly answered fill in the blank type question. We already know that both of these people are bright and hard working. Now say 575 aces the HPAT and 580 bombs, might not there be an indication there to suggest that maybe 575 was actually more deserving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭PopUp

Oh no, I agree the HPAT is a positive step in many ways. I would be in favour of systems of admission for ALL courses that are closer to the US and UK systems - taking into account interviews, essays, extracurricular volunteering, you name it. We can't afford it but it would undoubtedly be a better system than the points race.

My point is simply that as panda's quotes show, part of the motivation of the HPAT was to give males a boost. There's lots of debate about quotas for women in Ireland and that debate nearly always avoids the fact that such limited special treatment that IS available out there has been to give men, not women, a helping hand.

Great, so let's have an HPAT for all future politicians?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Wibbs wrote: »
    I agree, but politics is a different beast to other careers. Qualifications(as we all know) mean squat. Plus someone puts themselves forward and then gets voted by their peers. Rather than quotas, which IMHO are utterly daft for any group in politics, the individual parties must endeavour to groom, support and put forward female candidates. At that point its up to the electorate.

This.

Surely it makes more sense to support initiatives that encourage women to enter politics rather than impose sanctions ensuring that those who run are guaranteed a seat.

Instead of looking at the number of female politicians, look at the number of candidates. It's not like there is a massive majority of male votes combining to ensure women don't get voted in.

Advertisement