Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cottage Cheese

Options
  • 25-07-2014 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Tried this for the first time today but struggled to eat it on its own, so I mixed in some almond butter with it that helped. I had the Avonmore one but is there nicer tasting brands out there? And I guess another good way of having this would be to just put it in a shaker with whey+milk?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭traco

I find Lidls nicer than Avomore, its more solid - less watery and half the price

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

If you don't like it avoid it. Theres nothing magical about it.

I find the lidl one nicer than the avonmore one, you can also add it to scrambled eggs / omlette

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

jtthom wrote: »
    Tried this for the first time today but struggled to eat it on its own, so I mixed in some almond butter with it that helped. I had the Avonmore one but is there nicer tasting brands out there? And I guess another good way of having this would be to just put it in a shaker with whey+milk?

Stir in the juice & zest of a lemon, a drizzle of olive oil and some fresh thyme leaves, if you have them. Absolutely fantastic on steak & chicken and if you loosen it a bit more with water or more lemon juice, it's an excellent salad dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jtthom

conzy wrote: »
    If you don't like it avoid it. Theres nothing magical about it.

I find the lidl one nicer than the avonmore one, you can also add it to scrambled eggs / omlette

I hear what you're saying but I'm looking for something to replace eating junk at night and this does seem quite nutritious. And cheap. And even cheaper if I go to Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Maybe get the fage Greek yoghurt instead. Delicious with some strawberries.

• Advertisement

I like it with blueberries and flaked almonds, but I don't like the avonmore one at all. The cheese counter in supervalu (what was superquin), do a fresh one and it's yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

One of my favourite foods!

I eat the tesco value one as it's the cheapest and tastes the nicest IMO!
    I sometimes add sweetener and frozen berries that have been heated. Sometimes I have it with peanut or almond butter and sometimes I have it savoury with relish or just plain on corn cakes!

I used to eat the Aldi one with chives which is yum too and they do one with pineapple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

The good things about cottage cheese are that that it is nutritionally beneficial, the mouth feel is good (to use an annoying food industry term) and the satiation level is high. Downside is that the taste is bland. So the challenge is to make it interesting/appealing to eat.

I've tried them all and found Tesco Healthy Choice Natural Cottage Cheese (not the low fat one) to be the best in terms of texture and base flavour. Chopped freshly picked herbs are a great addition, mint being a favourite - I have a few plants in the garden, it's dead easy to grow and very versatile. You can add lots of different things to make it more interesting/edible. What you are looking for is something with plenty of flavour/aroma, so a couple of good strawberries or raspberries or a spoon of blackcurrants or a couple of cherries or quarter/half a ripe kiwi/peach/plum makes a world of difference. Have also tried a small quantity of grated carrot and pumpkin seeds, chopped broccoli, chopped kalamata olives, etc. The trick is to get additions that you like, are healthy, and as I said have plenty of flavour to bring to the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Cottage cheese is lovely with mascarpone and melted white chocolate mixed through...

Hibernicis wrote: »
    The good things about cottage cheese are ... the mouth feel is good (to use an annoying food industry term) ...

I've tried to like cottage cheese—I really have—but the one thing that gets me is its texture. The curds remind me of the many times I've inadvertently taken a slug of gone-off milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

Throw a scoop or half a scoop of protein powder in with it.
    I use strawberry flavour protein powder and when its mixed with the cottage cheese its like strawberry pudding.Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

Polish twaróg (which is almost dry curds) and other quark/curd/cottage cheese are really nice too. They can be fat free, and run from virtually yoghurt to hard curd cheese. You can find them in the Eastern European shops in most towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jtthom

Maybe get the fage Greek yoghurt instead. Delicious with some strawberries.

I saw the 0% Fage Greek yogurt in Dunnes, is there one with fat do you know?

Just spotted the fage yogurt yesterday and had it today with fresh berries. Very nice and filling! Glad I noticed the name in this thread as I wouldn't have noticed it otherwise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SusanneKn

Aldi has a cottage cheese with pineapple. It's great for those sugar cravings in the evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tom75

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark_(dairy_product)

Curd cheese, cottage, quark with spring onion and sour cream (12% or 18% or if you prefer yogurt)
    If you like add chopped radish.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭tattykitty

SusanneKn wrote: »
    Aldi has a cottage cheese with pineapple. It's great for those sugar cravings in the evening!

Cottage cheese and pineapple is delicious! Marks and Spencer does a nice one, quite firm, not too runny, though it's probably a fair bit dearer than Aldi.

I like the plain stuff covered in black pepper on oatcakes with a few cherry/plum tomatoes. In fact, I may have some now...nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

For anyone who does not like the runny kind of cottage cheese like myself, polish shops have a solid and dry cottage cheese.

This is not only better for me because I hate the texture of the runny cottage cheese but it works great in cooking, like protein cheesecake!

The one I usually buy is called Mazurski Smak Twarog Lekki 0%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

God I love cottage cheese. Yoplait, Tesco and Lidl are the ones I usually get.

I usually just eat it on its own, but it's also lovely with a bit of pesto (or even just basil) stirred through.

I just had a snack of a slice of ham as a "wrap" filled with cottage cheese and spinach ... yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭missmyler

Liam90 wrote: »
    For anyone who does not like the runny kind of cottage cheese like myself, polish shops have a solid and dry cottage cheese.

This is not only better for me because I hate the texture of the runny cottage cheese but it works great in cooking, like protein cheesecake!

The one I usually buy is called Mazurski Smak Twarog Lekki 0%

+1 for this. Unlike most of the other brands it doesn't contain any sugar or salt so great for clean eating. Comes in full fat or low fat.
    I get it in the Polish fridge section in Supervalu

• Advertisement

If your looking for alternate dairy sources. Tesco / sol fromage frais has great macros

per 100g:
    46 cals
    8g protein
    3g carbs
    0.2g fat

This basically tastes like greek yoghurt and is great on its own or with fruit / in other recipes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I've had some Quest peanut-butter cup things for ages, didn't like them, they're way too dry.

Yesterday I stuck 2 of them, 150g of cottage cheese (Aldi), a few ice cubes and about 50ml of milk into a bowl and blended it, just to see what it would be like. It was ****ing deadly.

I'll be doing this type of thing more often now, just changing around some ingredients.

I use cottage cheese to make little quiche type things too. Just mix up 150g with about 300g of egg. Fill it with whatever meat you like (chicken, bacon and sausage for me), top it with cheese and halved cherry tomatoes, bake. This gives me handy little HFLC snacks straight outta the fridge for a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I agree with those who don't like the curdy texture and bland milky taste.

In the past, when in a weight-loss campaign, I used to make a very nice lunchtime salad by chopping up tomato, onion and celery quite small and adding lemon juice, pepper and salt until the juice runs.

Stir the cottage cheese into that, eat with spoon, delicious!
    You can add ham, etc. for extra protein and minerals if you want.

I've also stirred it into tinned soup.

Home made - curd cheese, cottage cheese, quark - white cheese
    Preparing takes only few minutes.
    Ten steps, in pictures.

Part two.

Looks savage, any chance of a bit of a write up?

1. Take 3l of milk. I use 3,5% fat - more fat better finished product (fresh milk from the cow would be the best). Add a half of a pint buttermilk (good bacteries) for faster fermentation ( I love drink cold of buttermilk itself), stir and leave for 2-3 days for fermentation (in fridge or on the worktop).
    2. After 2-3 days you will see a fermented milk (curdles), so it's ready to go.
    Put in to the pot, GENTLY HEAT for 10-20min - DO NOT BOIL - (stir once or twice during heating) then you will get more curdles milk. Ready for the next stage.
    3. Strain through a cotton cloth (muslin,I use kitchen towel and diaper - new,not second hand), and leave it in diaper for 2-3 hours to drain with weight on top to make it faster. If you like harder cheese you can continue to drain like that over night.
    4 Ready to go

So, it's takes about 30 min of work (heating and strain) plus waiting time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Did you see Tesco started selling new cottage cheese in 500grams tub? 6% fat! it's so tasty, I can't get enough of it and I no longer have to strain it first to get rid of sourness and then add cream to 'sweeten' it more. Awesome stuff, you gotta try it out!

Advertisement