Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheap Cycling shorts ???

• 01-03-2015 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Due to get my first road bike in a few days, what recommendations do you have for starting off? Is it best getting a cheaper set starting off, then upgrade as i increase my time in saddle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

No defo not buy the best you can or your bum will not be happy with you .

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

Carpenter wrote: »
    No defo not buy the best you can or your bum will not be happy with you .

Only have small commute at moment not gonna be doing anything major at moment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Only have small commute at moment not gonna be doing anything major at moment.

For a small commute anything that's comfortable will do the trick. I find pretty much any padded shorts are fine for the first hour, and quality only comes into play on longer spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I got these. Felt a bit weird facing the word in tights at first, but after a nice few spins out in them, im quite happy. Cheap as chips and feel great in this weather.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FDX-Mens-Cycling-Bib-Tights-Winter-Thermal-Padded-Long-Leggings-Cycling-Trouser-/181536974678?pt=UK_Cycling_Clothing&var=&hash=item2a44726756

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Buy the best you can afford and bib shorts are more comfy in my opinion

• Advertisement

smacl wrote: »
    For a small commute anything that's comfortable will do the trick. I find pretty much any padded shorts are fine for the first hour, and quality only comes into play on longer spins.

Yeah wont be doin much more than hour for first while.
    I havent got any yet but not sure what to avoid or what is decent

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Between the occasional Lidl offers and Halfords cheapo shorts, these will cover you (pun not intended).
    However, you do tend to get what you pay for and like the others have said, your arse and bits will forgive the extra.

Is it best getting bib shorts and bib tights than just tights or tights?
    Seen a few bits on sports direct muddyfox kinda stuff not sure of what its like or is it worth waiting to see what aldi or lidl bring out

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Depending on your cycle and what you might be bringing, whatever you wear, I'd recommend a top with pockets for a few bits n pieces (phone, etc.).
    Lidl top I bought about a 18 months ago was nice but no pockets and therefore doesn't really get used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

The muddy fox stuff is actually ok quality for the price. As you get more serious about cycling you will definitely be spending more on gear as your body will thank you for it. Personally I much prefer bib shorts and tights to the non bib ones and I think the same goes for most cyclists. The Aldi stuff is ok and grand for commuting where most won't be wearing their Castelli gear anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 NC12

My partner is just after starting cycling and he got his gear on sports direct. Muddy fox brand and there doing the job for now, he isn't doing long distances yet, the padding is good & washed well and the price was good too.

NC12 wrote: »
    My partner is just after starting cycling and he got his gear on sports direct. Muddy fox brand and there doing the job for now, he isn't doing long distances yet, the padding is good & washed well and the price was good too.

Good to hear . What is sizing like ? Im 6ft with 32"waist which says im a medium,but ive 34 inner leg(skinny)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 NC12

Good to hear . What is sizing like ? Im 6ft with 32"waist which says im a medium,but ive 34 inner leg(skinny)

Oh Jesus I haven't a clue what they are like on him. He got one of those full piece kinda ones a bit like dungarees almost. He's about 5 ft 8/9 and a 30 " leg

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Just ordered these from wiggle for longer rides when the weather picks up, look pretty good from reviews, hopefully will have them next week.

rtmie wrote: »
    Just ordered these from wiggle for longer rides when the weather picks up, look pretty good from reviews, hopefully will have them next week.

I never really looked on wiggle although did look at it for spd shoes and pedals.
    Good prices just had a look their

Advertisement