Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Just to check in and say I'm still going. Did Week 3, day 2 last night. Final run was the first time I had to check the clock to see how long was left. Luckily only 30 seconds so was able to keep going. Gave myself an extra long cool down walk too

Week 3 done. Much better today than the last day.

Had a look at next run and involves 2 5 minute runs (amongst others). Unthinkable for me a month ago

Just checking in to say I'm still with it. Week 5 day 2 was 8 minutes run, 5 mins walk, 8 mins run

I didn't realise it and thought I had missed an instruction. Completed it though

Will post week 4 diary later

• Advertisement

Started week 6 today. Just realised I'm scheduled to finish this around New Year's Eve, New Year's Day

Gulp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Dodge wrote: »

That is absolutely brilliant! You're flying it! Really enjoying your reports. Keep it up now over the break and don't let all that good progress go to waste over the holidays!
    Best of luck with the next few weeks.

Ososlo wrote: »
    That is absolutely brilliant! You're flying it! Really enjoying your reports. Keep it up now over the break and don't let all that good progress go to waste over the holidays!
    Best of luck with the next few weeks.

No, definitely won't give it up.

I'll likely complete week 6 tomorrow

Then week 7 will be
    Sunday 20th, Tuesday 22nd, Thursday 24th (once daughter is in bed for Santy)

Week 8 will be
    Sunday 27th, Tuesday 29th and Thursday 31st (daytime)

Luckily the 3 per week gives me a bit of flexibility. I hope to continue with at least 3 runs a week after that before tackling a parkrun in late january

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Dodge wrote: »
    No, definitely won't give it up.

I'll likely complete week 6 tomorrow

Then week 7 will be
    Sunday 20th, Tuesday 22nd, Thursday 24th (once daughter is in bed for Santy)

Week 8 will be
    Sunday 27th, Tuesday 29th and Thursday 31st (daytime)

Luckily the 3 per week gives me a bit of flexibility. I hope to continue with at least 3 runs a week after that before tackling a parkrun in late january
    ha ha someone's got the running bug ;)
    I've also mapped out exactly what running I can do over the next 2 weeks of madness and when I can fit it in!
    That kind of consistency and commitment will stand to you!

Just to let you know that this is paused. Injured my knee (in a non-running way!) so couldn't complete week 6. I think I'll start back at week 6 day 1 and see how I feel. Hopefully by end of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Started week 1 this morning. First time I've done 30 minutes exercise in at least 10 years. Let's hope I can keep it up.

I'm hoping to get back out tonight. Knee hasn't been right for 2 weeks. Managed to get 2 long walks in last week but anytime I tried to run it felt off. Dying to get out running again

Good luck to all those taking it up this January

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

Well my plans last year to complete couch to 5k didn't materialise so I am definitely going to do it this year! Going to go out and start maybe week 2 again either tomorrow or Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Wanderer41 wrote: »
    Well my plans last year to complete couch to 5k didn't materialise so I am definitely going to do it this year! Going to go out and start maybe week 2 again either tomorrow or Friday.

Stay away from this "or" stuff. Plan it for tomorrow and do it tomorrow. Make it non-optional. That would be my advice. Good luck.

Week one finished.:) The app is a big motivator for me as I think I would have stopped after 20 minutes on the first day had I been doing it myself. I've been staying in a hotel this week, so all 3 sessions have been on a treadmill. I think the real fun will be on Sunday morning when I have to run in public for the first time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Just jumped back onto the C25K Express after about two years (hard to believe it's actually that long ha). I had done it before and reached a point where I was running 6 kms or so without stopping. But then Winter came and the running stopped and I stupidly never went back. Started off at Week 3 Day 1 there which I think was perfect for me. Worked up a sweat and felt the legs go a bit towards the end so I know I'm doing it right :)

After a few weeks out with a knee injury and a flu/sinus infection I re-started week 6 today.

Delighted that I was able to manage it without too many problems over my lunch break. Feel great now at my desk having showered and refueled.

Hope to continue this on Sunday

Back out today. Felt great. 2 10 minute runs either side of a 3 minute walk. I'm back at the stage I was before injury and illness sidelined me.

Hoping to finally finish week 6 on Tuesday at lunch time

• Advertisement

Week 6 done. Tough one today. I'll post my diary tomorrow

After a 3 week lay up due to dodgy knees after my last session I'm back on week 2 this week. I'm taking it pretty easy pace wise as I'm worried I will damage them again. I've never really been into exercise, but 3 weeks without being able to do anything was tough, hopefully I will keep the enthusiasm up.

Also, if anyone is thinking about wireless headphones, I picked up this cheap and cheerful set from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B015O4HF6S/ref=pd_aw_sbs_23_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=41A6xax37lL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL115_SR115%2C115_&refRID=06Q1ZF62V8WKSZF70YX7

I'm really impressed with them for the price, perfect for the gym/running.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mags2016

Hi. I've done two runs in week 4. On my last run my feet and ankles were sore and a day later they are still sore. I think maybe a break for a few days might be in order. Although I'm afraid it'll be harder to get back into it. I've only taken a day in between runs so far, never more than that. I know I need to invest in better runners too. Has anyone else on here had similar problems

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

mags2016 wrote: »
    Hi. I've done two runs in week 4. On my last run my feet and ankles were sore and a day later they are still sore. I think maybe a break for a few days might be in order. Although I'm afraid it'll be harder to get back into it. I've only taken a day in between runs so far, never more than that. I know I need to invest in better runners too. Has anyone else on here had similar problems

Well done for getting this far! I'm in no way qualified to give advice with injuries but I do remember that when the c25k runs got that bit longer my feet, ankles, calfs all got quite sore for a while, well more a really tired feeling than really painful. I always put it down to putting force thru muscles and joints that they weren't used to.

Maybe take an extra day this time and see how you are after? Also if you haven't been stretching that could help? If you've been running on road maybe grass would be less painful?
    There's a lot of people on here better positioned to help but maybe something above night help!
    Good luck with the rest of the programme :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

By no means an expert either but when I did the couch 2 5k I always had a 2 day break between weeks .

The Muppet wrote: »
    By no means an expert either but when I did the couch 2 5k I always had a 2 day break between weeks .

Thank you. I probably have been doing too much.

FIFA2004 wrote: »
    Well done for getting this far! I'm in no way qualified to give advice with injuries but I do remember that when the c25k runs got that bit longer my feet, ankles, calfs all got quite sore for a while, well more a really tired feeling than really painful. I always put it down to putting force thru muscles and joints that they weren't used to.

Maybe take an extra day this time and see how you are after? Also if you haven't been stretching that could help? If you've been running on road maybe grass would be less painful?
    There's a lot of people on here better positioned to help but maybe something above night help!
    Good luck with the rest of the programme :)

Thank you. I'll definitely take an extra day or two and see how I go. Maybe grass might be better to run on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

My understanding of the plan was 3 days running and 4 days rest each week. I did that and got through it injury free .

Keep the pace easy and enjoy the runs.
    The best of luck with it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭positron

Didn't realise there's such a large thread on C25K logs here. My googling is as just bad as my running! :D

I am nearly 40. Overweight and fast approaching obese range of BMI. I started C25K when I was away on holidays in India and struggled with the heat and humidity first couple of weeks. Back in Ireland, after couple of weeks of break in the name of climatisation (cough lazyness cough)... I restarted C25K by doing W3. Last Saturday I was supposed to W6D3, instead I did the Oldbridge Parkrun and loved everything about it. I finished behind dozens of little kids, retired folks etc but well, I was glad to finish my first 5k - time was around 32 minutes - well pleased.

I did W7D1 today and hope to run Oldbridge Parkrun again this Saturday. Great program.

Advertisement