Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you visit gravestones?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I haven't been to a graveyard in a long, long time. But I'd have no problem visiting one as an atheist. They're permanent memorials for people who have died, and I see nothing wrong with that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I don't really know anyone who was buried to be honest. My dad died when I was tiny, he was cremated in Uk and I've only been to the garden of remembrance once. I don't remember him so it felt a bit weird to be there if I'm honest. Glad I went though.

I quite like the idea of life gems, a small token or talisman if you like that I could wear to stay connected. Would be awful if you lost the damn thing though. I quite fancy being a teaching skeleton, hanging around in some lab or classroom for a while. I don't want to be buried I know that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭bnt

You don't need a reason for a casual visit to a cemetery. I do it while travelling, don't even think about until a question like this. On my last visit to London, for example, I had a wander through the Brompton Cemetery. I didn't go looking for celebrity graves, the only one I can recall seeing was that of John Wisden, the founder of Wisden's Cricketer's Almanack.

Highgate Cemetery is even funkier, but is so famous that they now charge for access. :mad:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Guill wrote: »
    I see graveyards as strange places.
    A field full of tiny gardens dedicated to the dead, when you look at it like that it's a nice idea, however, the reality can be very different. A lot of drab cold stone in unkempt lots and in Ireland when it's normally wet and dreary the place can look horribly grey and lifeless.

It reminds me of crosses on the roads where people have died, the permanent ones, not the recent accident ones. I can't for the life of me understand why people erect these monuments to a place where someone lost their life,why not somewhere that person has lived their life to the fullest? Each to their own I suppose

A friend died and his ashes were scattered across his favorite surfing spot and his childhood holiday resort that he loved so much. He wasn't spiritual and neither am I but it's great to have our last farewell to him forever associated with his life.

I've actually seen crosses on the road in locations where they might even cause another accident or make one far worse should someone hit it. The last thing you need is a big lump of carved stone. A better monument would be a crash barrier!

Advertisement