Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Internet On and Off

• 11-06-2012 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I got eircom broadband about 2 weeks ago and it has been grand but the past week it's been on and off with the lights flashing and internet and dsl going red. Anyone know what the problem is? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Wafa wrote: »
    I got eircom broadband about 2 weeks ago and it has been grand but the past week it's been on and off with the lights flashing and internet and dsl going red. Anyone know what the problem is? Thanks.

Hi Wafa,

When the lights are flashing/red it usually indicates a problem with the connection or with authentication to our servers. About 95% are connection issues that we can troubleshoot for you. If you could PM me the account or landline number I'll run a few tests and see what we can do for you. If it was working fine and it's not anymore then more than likely we can sort this out for you.

Regards

James

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Wafa

Hi Wafa,

When the lights are flashing/red it usually indicates a problem with the connection or with authentication to our servers. About 95% are connection issues that we can troubleshoot for you. If you could PM me the account or landline number I'll run a few tests and see what we can do for you. If it was working fine and it's not anymore then more than likely we can sort this out for you.

Regards

James

That's grand, ill PM you there now. Thanks:)

That's grand, ill PM you there now. Thanks:)

Hi Wafa,

Thanks for the PM. Have been able to run a few tests on the line today and there is definitely some issue being indicated there. The line is testing with a minor fault and that in turn is affecting the broadband stats. What we need to do now is narrow down the problem. The best way to do that is to follow this checklist from the eircom Community Forum. This is specifically aimed at troubleshooting slow connections. The test result stated a 'minor fault' on the line which tends to be internal wiring/equipment.

If you could get to the point where the modem is on the main phone socket with only one computer connected, and by ethernet cable. Once this is done we can test again and if the fault is still there we will send an engineer. If the fault is gone we can start to put the setup back to normal until it reappears. You can either let us know here and we'll run the test or if you would prefer 'live' support you can call 1890 260 260 up to 10pm, 7 days. The reason we need to eliminate third party issues is that there would be a call-out charge if the fault was caused by non-eircom equipment, but is free otherwise. Try that and let me know.

Regards

James

Hi Wafa,

Thanks for the PM. Have been able to run a few tests on the line today and there is definitely some issue being indicated there. The line is testing with a minor fault and that in turn is affecting the broadband stats. What we need to do now is narrow down the problem. The best way to do that is to follow this checklist from the eircom Community Forum. This is specifically aimed at troubleshooting slow connections. The test result stated a 'minor fault' on the line which tends to be internal wiring/equipment.

If you could get to the point where the modem is on the main phone socket with only one computer connected, and by ethernet cable. Once this is done we can test again and if the fault is still there we will send an engineer. If the fault is gone we can start to put the setup back to normal until it reappears. You can either let us know here and we'll run the test or if you would prefer 'live' support you can call 1890 260 260 up to 10pm, 7 days. The reason we need to eliminate third party issues is that there would be a call-out charge if the fault was caused by non-eircom equipment, but is free otherwise. Try that and let me know.

Regards

James

It's just after happening there again, getting the no dsl connection message. Just wondering, where is the main line? There are two telephone sockets in the house. Thanks.

It's just after happening there again, getting the no dsl connection message. Just wondering, where is the main line? There are two telephone sockets in the house. Thanks.

Hi Wafa,

Unless it's been there a long time, the MDP (main socket) is normally within about 4 foot of the front door. The best way to find the MDP is look at the outside of the house and wherever the line comes in, the nearest socket to that would most likely be the one.

James

• Advertisement

Hi Wafa,

Unless it's been there a long time, the MDP (main socket) is normally within about 4 foot of the front door. The best way to find the MDP is look at the outside of the house and wherever the line comes in, the nearest socket to that would most likely be the one.

James

Hi James,

I found the socket, it has two sockets on it and it has eircom written on it. It's close to the front door. I set it up there and it seems to be working. I'll let you know if any trouble happens.

Thanks for your time.

Advertisement