Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Hitch is dead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'd like you to find that post

I am instantly reminded of our discussion on Pascal's Wager. Couple of sound bites:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75406359&postcount=201
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75424300&postcount=221

Sounds like you don't believe Hitchens is in heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men."

-Some book I'd have expected TQE to have read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

bnt wrote: »
    I think it's somewhat fitting that Richard Dawkins was the last person to interview The Hitch. Though I imagine that RD would wish that many more had the opportunity to do so. :(

RD.net is linking to the obituary on ABC News, which is quite long but very good. I think it's fair to say that it wasn't all researched and written last night. I must try and find Alexander Cockburn's "Letter to a Lying, Self-Serving, Fat-Assed, Chain-Smoking, Drunken, Opportunistic, Cynical Contrarian." :pac:
    Haha! I remember watch a post-diagnosis interview with Hitch, and the interview read out that quote by Cockburn, and he replied by saying "He should see my arse now." Such wit, he'll be sorely missed.

Normally news like this would ruin my day, especially about someone who I looked up to as much as Christopher Hitchens, as I consider him my favourite author, but I forced myself to forget about as I had an exam at 2:30. Now that I have time to reflect on it; yes it is sad, but rather than being mournful towards it I believe it's more appropriate to celebrate this great mans' life. It's wonderful seeing so many great articles, quotes and videos being posted up here, truly reflective of the great man and what he's done for people all over the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Hugely inspiring, occasionally infuriating and always brilliant. Farewell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord
    May perpetual light shine upon him
    May his soul rest in peace, Amen.

Give me a break

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Two of us here raising our glasses to him... Now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

robindch wrote: »
    *chink*

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dmw07

robindch wrote: »

Well that was nice. A perfectly clear night to see the stars.

Good bye hitch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I knew I should have gotten a bottle on the way home, I debated with myself over it all afternoon but decided to be stingy. Regret it now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

pH wrote: »
    *chink*
    photo_2_Small_3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

Galvasean wrote: »
    I am instantly reminded of our discussion on Pascal's Wager. Couple of sound bites:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75406359&postcount=201
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75424300&postcount=221

Sounds like you don't believe Hitchens is in heaven.

You do understand the difference between the word 'some' and all. I have no idea where Hitchens is now, that is not up to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Hmm, I appear to be running low on whiskey. I only have 3 bottles left! :eek:

You do understand the difference between the word 'some' and all. I have no idea where Hitchens is now, that is not up to me.

Dig up. Everyone knows you are prone to contradicting yourself and talking out of your hoop. It's clear as day to anyone brave enough to glance through your post history.

Dig up. Everyone knows you are prone to contradicting yourself and talking out of your hoop. It's clear as day to anyone brave enough to glance through your post history.

Meanwhile still waiting for you to post anything that proves what you claim about me . . . .

You fool, Galvasean! He asked for one piece of proof and you gave TWO! Now he can say you haven't done what he asked!

Sorry to burst your bubble but neither post does.

You love bursting bubbles. Look at this thread, for example.

Oh well. The evidence is there. Passers by can decide for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

RIP Hitchens, You've definitely inspired me beyond anything I expected many years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

He was an entertaining chap that's for sure.

Oh well. The evidence is there. Passers by can decide for themselves.

Yes indeed, I'm sure most won't be tricked, and i'm sure they can tell the difference between the word some and all.

Sarky wrote: »
    You love bursting bubbles. Look at this thread, for example.

I posted my condolences, and the usual suspects could not leave it at that, and started with the ad hominem, nothing new there. A pity.

I couldn't resist any longer, had to get a bottle.

*raises glass to Hitch* If there is a god, give him a Hitchslap from me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I posted my condolences, and the usual suspects could not leave it at that...
    Followed by a prayer. On the Atheism & Agnosticism forum. For one of the most vocal atheists of his generation.

So let's all leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Arcus Arrow

October 2009
    Ann Widdecombe and some CCL bishop debated Christopher Hitchens and Stephen Fry. The motion was "The Catholic Church is a force for good in the world". It was like watching a giant smoke billowing ocean going hulk of a ship being sunk by having it's plates stripped off one by one by precision lasers. It was well worth the plane fare.

The thing about Hithens is that it's hard to imagine that such a combination of talent, drive, and intelligence will ever be arraigned against the forces of ignorance again in quite the same way. He was very much the right man at the right time and is made that much more sorely needed by his passing.

Legions of pale bargain basement professing atheist replicas will rise in his wake but there won't be anyone quite like Hitchens again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L-_cbi_nL0&feature=player_embedded

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I don't have any Jonny Walker, I have only Jameson, and if, in his opinion, Jameson is only half as good, then I shall just have to drink twice as much of it.

To a fine mind gentlemen, we are lesser for its passing.
    *clink*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I'm drinking a nice Chilean wine in a toast to Hitch - a beacon of light in an ocean of ignorance and superstition. He got it wrong on the invasion of Iraq, but who of us never made a mistake? Otherwise, he was spot on.:)

He only made it to 62, but I think it was Brendan Behan who said what matters most is not how long you live, but how you live.;)

I suppose it will be only a matter of time before some of the god-botherers claim he recanted on his death bed and submitted to the sky fairy, but that will only prove how much his rationality unsettled them.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

October 2009
    Ann Widdecombe and some CCL bishop debated Christopher Hitchens and Stephen Fry. The motion was "The Catholic Church is a force for good in the world". It was like watching a giant smoke billowing ocean going hulk of a ship being sunk by having it's plates stripped off one by one by precision lasers. It was well worth the plane fare.

The thing about Hithens is that it's hard to imagine that such a combination of talent, drive, and intelligence will ever be arraigned against the forces of ignorance again in quite the same way. He was very much the right man at the right time and is made that much more sorely needed by his passing.

Legions of pale bargain basement professing atheist replicas will rise in his wake but there won't be anyone quite like Hitchens again.

I clicked on the button and gave you one "thanks". I just wish I could give you 1,000.

• Advertisement

The Devil's Advocate is on RTE 2, and Charlize Theron (swoon) was just drinking her own JW Black.

Coincidence, or proof of a higher power? :)

Advertisement