Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hitch is dead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

"I was met by immaculate specimens of young American womanhood, holding silver trays and flashing perfect dentition," he wrote. "What would I like? I thought a gin and tonic would meet the case. 'Sir, that would be inappropriate.' In what respect? 'At this altitude gin would be very much more toxic than at ground level.' In that case, I said, make it a double."

On getting off the ski-lift at Aspen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Vomit wrote: »
    I put it down to being a jaded alcoholic flip-flopper. I remember him telling a booing audience that Bush is "smarter than everyone in this room".

That was on Bill Maher's show. I'm pretty sure that was intended as an insult to the people in the room rather than as a compliment to Bush..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I actually found out in quite disgusting circumstances this morning.

Upon opening Facebook I saw an "acquaintance" had linked to the article, but as his comment on said "He dared challenge our Lord, and this was his punishment."

If it was possible to stab someone through the internet, I would of done so. I was actually disgusted by it.

However, Rest in Peace Hitch, you will be missed by many, and remembered by even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

fisgon wrote: »
    I don't agree with Vomit, but I agree even less with him being told to "go away" for expressing an opinion that is contrary to the consensus. Especially as we are talking about Christopher Hitchens, who was no respecter of consensus.

It's a memorandum thread, Vomit (and others) should show some decency.
    If he want's to bad mouth the man, he can take it to another thread.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

fisgon wrote: »
    I don't agree with Vomit, but I agree even less with him being told to "go away" for expressing an opinion that is contrary to the consensus. Especially as we are talking about Christopher Hitchens, who was no respecter of consensus.
    I'm inclined to agree with the principle of this. However, this thread probably isn't the place for it. Conscientious objections can go in any other (new?) thread - this is very much an RIP one, and not one to debate the Hitch's various stances. Hit the "New Thread" button instead.

We don't need another Steve Jobs threadwreck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Although he'd reject it, he was a serious hero of mine and an inspiration. Long live the Hitch!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dmw07

I'm only hearing the news now, I've been a little distracted today.

I'm saddened but not entirely shocked. I was talking to a friend the other day about how long Hitch had left. It had been on my mind for a while.

I'm so glad that he lived, wrote, shared and expressed his opinions to the world. He had a profound affect on my life and with all the captured writing and electronic data saved on servers the world over, I've no doubt that the man's words will continue to excite me for many years to come before i follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dmw07

Lads/Ladies, i don't have time to read every post so i am not sure if anyone has suggested this, but if anyone would like to join me tonight (not physically of course) at 20:00 GMT to take a moment out of their day in the memory of Christopher Hitchens to remember his life and all the good he brought the world i shall be sipping a large one and watching the night sky in salute to the man.

• Moderators Posts: 51,702 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

From article on Huffington post regarding Hitchens death and the removal of a tribute hashtage from twitter trends.
    On news of his death, Christopher Hitchens began trending worldwide as tributes poured in.

However, as with his life, controversy followed Hitchens into death. The hash tag #GodIsNotGreat also began trending, which was followed by a storm of protests by the religious, many unaware that the hash tag was a tribute to the author's passing.

Twitter reportedly removed the topic from the trending lists following threats of violence towards the creators of the hash tag. The irony that Hitchens book, one that makes stark the link between religion and violence, had stirred the religious to then threaten violence was not lost on the twitterati.

185443.JPG

Source

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'm hoping that's based on incorrect information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Dades wrote: »
    I'm inclined to agree with the principle of this. However, this thread probably isn't the place for it. Conscientious objections can go in any other (new?) thread - this is very much an RIP one, and not one to debate the Hitch's various stances. Hit the "New Thread" button instead.

We don't need another Steve Jobs threadwreck.

There's a certain irony to gagging people for saying things that are considered inconsiderate to the feelings of others in a thread about the Hitch. I think a little debate is far more interesting than a list of RIPs.

The real problems is the kneejerk hysterics that follow, in my opinion.

• Moderators Posts: 51,702 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

amacachi wrote: »
    I'm hoping that's based on incorrect information.

Well the tag is definitely removed from the trending from what I can see.

And this is a sample of some of the reponses that probably lead to it being removed.

185450.JPG

Sorry to the mods if this is dragging the topic OT.

EDIT: And God gives atheists cancer according this charming American evangelical.

185456.JPG

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Zillah wrote: »
    There's a certain irony to gagging people for saying things that are considered inconsiderate to the feelings of others in a thread about the Hitch...
    Is it 'gagging' to say to move to another thread a discussion that will inevitably drag on forever? The point was made, all that was going to follow is a prolonged discussion on the US war?

It's less to do with the feelings of anyone and to do with occasionally ring-fencing discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I like the idea of Hitchens meeting up with Bill Hicks in some form of afterlife.
    "He's still an asshole." scoffed Hitchens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Like many here, I admire the man, his wit and intellect, even if I found myself disagreeing with his views at times, it was still enlightening to hear what he had to say.

He had an extraordinary vocabulary but what set him apart was the ability to use these words eloquently and concisely to make an argument, rather than elaborate pointless waffle

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

A loss to reason, if not a man I could always agree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

It's good that he said things a lot of folks disagreed with. It's far more interesting to debate with an eloquent person like that, forces you to challenge your own preconceptions. sure, you might still end up disagreeing, but at least you'd have a better idea why.

Interesting chap, that Hitchens. Haven't read his books, but I've seen plenty of quotes and interviews. Very interesting chap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

One for the Hitch.

Fair play, ya grumpy old bastard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord
    May perpetual light shine upon him
    May his soul rest in peace, Amen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord
    May perpetual light shine upon him
    May his soul rest in peace, Amen.
    Given your posting history, I doubt the sincerity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

The very first thing I remember hearing about from Hitch was when he underwent water boarding in order to establish if it was torture. Someone willing to go that far in search of the truth has my absolute respect and exemplifies something that is sadly disappearing from modern journalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

God won't be happy with you pleading for mercy for someone who refused to follow the Lord and actively discouraged others from doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

I think that is all that needs to be said in response to that.

Knasher wrote: »
    The very first thing I remember hearing about from Hitch was when he underwent water boarding in order to establish if it was torture. Someone willing to go that far in search of the truth has my absolute respect and exemplifies something that is sadly disappearing from modern journalism.

I didn't pay him much attention until I heard about that. It's always great to see someone willing to put their money (or in this case body?) where there mouth is. I have no end of respect for him after seeing that.

Doubt it all you like. It's not the first time you tried to misrepresent me.

Well you've gone on the record saying non believers don't go to heaven so your eulogy seems a tad hypocritical...

Galvasean wrote: »
    Well you've gone on the record saying non believers don't go to heaven so your eulogy seems a tad hypocritical...

I'd like you to find that post

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Doubt it all you like. It's not the first time you tried to misrepresent me.
    On the contrary, I'm honestly expressing doubt over the sincerity of the post.

On the contrary, I'm honestly expressing doubt over the sincerity of the post.

As I said, doubt it all you like, it has no effect on the sincerity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Some of these posters need to read what Christopher's brother Peter wrote today:
    Much of civilisation rests on the proper response to death, simple unalloyed kindness, the desire to show sympathy for irrecoverable loss, the understanding that a unique and irreplaceable something has been lost to us. If we ceased to care, we wouldn’t be properly human.
    Here’s a thing I will say now without hesitation, unqualified and important. The one word that comes to mind when I think of my brother is ‘courage’. By this I don’t mean the lack of fear which some people have, which enables them to do very dangerous or frightening things because they have no idea what it is to be afraid. I mean a courage which overcomes real fear, while actually experiencing it.
    Peter and Christopher clashed over the topic of religion - many, many times. What about former UK PM Tony Blair, who was on the receiving end of a few Hitchslaps? "an extraordinary, compelling & colourful human being it was a privilege to know".

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement